Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bergdahl

We're all here, because we ain't all there.

Bergdahl

Cost the lives of 6 soldiers.
    obama freed 5 terrorist in trade for a deserter.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/22305/...o-ben-shapiro#
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Cost the lives of 6 soldiers.
    https://www.stripes.com/news/command...6#.WeZtB1tSyzc

Shitty deal all the way around. I feel bad for him...but...he made his bed when he walked off. He deserted his post. Got what's coming to him, IMHO. Hard to judge whether the administration made a crappy deal. Hard to watch those videos of him and not feel at least for his parents. Poor idealistic kid. Poor decision on his part.

His legacy will probably be the political football surrounding his story. Unfortunate.

I don't imagine he'll be hoping for a pardon from the current admin. Could get life in prison. Still, probably a better row to hoe than being with his captors.

4. Likes moab mark liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    More than you and I may ever know, for sure.

"Yet retired Army Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, who was the U.S. military’s top intelligence official in Afghanistan at the time of Bergdahl’s disappearance, and former Special Forces Maj. Mike Waltz told Koenig that soldiers died during the search."

"Still other military sources interviewed for “Serial” said U.S. troops died because they did not have the equipment they needed to be safe because that equipment was being used elsewhere in the search for Bergdahl."

http://www.mtexpress.com/news/blaine_county/did-soldiers-die-looking-for-bowe-bergdahl/article_11f2bd84-fb7c-11e5-ba28-1723a2f91196.html
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

I feel bad for him...but...he made his bed when he walked off. He deserted his post. Got what's coming to him, IMHO.

Hard to watch those videos of him and not feel at least for his parents. Poor idealistic kid. Poor decision on his part.

Although I admit I feel bad for him, everyone in the military knows the penalty for desertion. This is made clear when you join the military and are in training.

Hard to judge whether the administration made a crappy deal.

It was a crappy deal. Five for one is not a good deal.

Unfortunately, it would have been a crappy deal no matter what. If he would have died under captivity Obama would never live it down and there would be a huge backlash (even bigger than the one from the release).

Could get life in prison.
    That's up to the Military, but I doubt it. He was a POW for years and during that time he was promoted by the Military. He will probably be punished, but it likely won't be life in prison.

obama freed 5 terrorist in trade for a deserter.
    This is true, but it wasn't only Obama who supported his release.

In fact, a lot more conservative groups pressed for it than anywhere else, even when it was revealed that he was a deserter. Plug in "bring bowe home" in the Facebook search and see which groups were saying what a scum bag Obama was for not doing all it takes to bring him back:

https://www.facebook.com/search/str/..._blended_posts

See that they are almost all conservative sites.

Rolling Stone had an article in 2012 that said he was a deserter and many screamed that it was disgraceful and liberal propaganda

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...f-war-20120607.

Name:  8.JPG
Views: 304
Size:  50.4 KB
    __________________________________________________ ______________________

Here are some of the posts that I pulled at random of the conservative Facebook sites (notice that they are all after it was announced that he was a deserter):

Name:  6.JPG
Views: 366
Size:  40.6 KB

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 262
Size:  17.1 KB

Name:  2.JPG
Views: 267
Size:  17.2 KB

Name:  3.JPG
Views: 275
Size:  22.0 KB

Name:  4.JPG
Views: 325
Size:  37.9 KB

Name:  5.JPG
Views: 290
Size:  54.0 KB

Name:  7.JPG
Views: 353
Size:  48.9 KB

Name:  9.JPG
Views: 287
Size:  24.2 KB

Name:  10.JPG
Views: 270
Size:  34.8 KB

Name:  11.JPG
Views: 261
Size:  22.9 KB

Name:  12.JPG
Views: 311
Size:  38.8 KB

Name:  13.JPG
Views: 286
Size:  30.6 KB

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  41.9 KB

Name:  15.JPG
Views: 262
Size:  22.1 KB

So, yes Obama released him and it wasn't a very good deal. It could have been the only one that kept the soldier alive, for better or worse. To imply that Obama was the only one that called him a hero (and I don't agree with Obama on this) or supported his release is fallacy. If Bergdahl were to die in captivity as the only POW in recent years, there would have been even more backlash. Still, trading the terrorists sends the wrong message, so I can't say I agree with the decision.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Yeah...well if it were up to me, he'd be put up against a wall and shot.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

8. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Interesting....

Navy SEAL recalls firefight, wounds in search for Bergdahl

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=46186127&nid=157

If they decide to hang Bergdahl by his nuts and use him as a pinata I'm good with that....

Troops describe hardships, wounds during Bergdahl searches

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=46186127&nid=157

Hard for me to find any empathy for the guy. When he deserted he knew without any doubt that other soldiers would be going into harms way to to save him. He know doubt suffered greatly during captivity, but he made his bed when he walked away. I don't know what they will decide but I'd vote for a lengthy stay in the big house.

Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    Yeah...well if it were up to me, he'd be put up against a wall and shot.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Slovik

Quote Originally Posted by middlefork View Post
    Dang, a pretty depressing story. The guy was probably scared out of his mind of war. I can definitely understand that. But at least he confessed of it and owned up to it, instead of running away and letting others into harm's way to rescue him.

Bergdahl on the other hand was blatant desertion, a dumbshit trade deal to get him back which had the country confused, and led good men into harm's way.

Lots of deserters have never been executed, so I doubt we'll see Mr B shot especially in today's political climate. But he needs to suffer some consequence.

Judge: Bergdahl to get fair sentence, despite Trump remarks

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=46188759&nid=157

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Lots of deserters have never been executed, so I doubt we'll see Mr B shot especially in today's political climate. But he needs to suffer some consequence.
    This.

Had Bergdahl not been a POW and suffered torture for several years, he had a good chance of life in prison, but he probably won't now. He will probably get a few years in prison because he has to suffer consequences. This is all up to the Military though.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    This.

Had Bergdahl not been a POW and suffered torture for several years, he had a good chance of life in prison, but he probably won't now. He will probably get a few years in prison because he has to suffer consequences. This is all up to the Military though.
    He didn't get prison time:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-...ocid=DELLDHP17

I admit that I am surprised as I expected jail time. This was in the hands of the Army and military judge though.

He was dishonorably discharged. Having a dishonorable discharge is a big deal. It's at least equivalent to having a felony on your record, but with more negative stigma. It will follow him around the rest of his life. He also suffered captivity and torture for several years. Hopefully this is enough to make anyone else think twice before deserting.

He got off to easy... what a disgrace.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    He got off to easy... what a disgrace.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by middlefork View Post
    Thanks for posting this. I actually recall this from years ago.

It's interesting to note that Eisenhower ordered him killed to avoid more desertions at a crucial time. Maybe heavy for someone who was trying to avoid death, but like the bomb...it happened.

Doesn't matter so much now that he got off almost entirely. Now it appears that you can just walk away.

He really should have been given a minimum of ten years. Tragic nonsense shall never end...
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Here's more:

The judge ordered that Bergdahl's rank be reduced from sergeant to private. Additionally, Bergdahl will be required to pay a $1,000 fine from his salary for the next 10 months.....

Here's what I don't get though. When I was in the military, I was made to leave (with the option to return in two years) because of a medication I had to take. My brother was made to leave permanently when he went on heart medications. We were only given a few weeks.

That was a few decades ago and things have changed, but still. If Bergdahl was dishonorably discharged, why is he still in the military and collecting a paycheck for at least another 10 months?

If Bergdahl was dishonorably discharged, why is he still in the military and collecting a paycheck for at least another 10 months?
    Hahaha... your one if the most liberal people I know and you can't figure it out.... welcome to the everyone gets a trophy generation.

Hahaha... your one if the most liberal people I know
    Really? You must not know many people then.

Really? You must not know many people then.
    Truth... i pick my friends wisely. You, Hank and Brian are the only liberals I like :-)