Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bogley newbie fest Spring 2018?

Bogley newbie fest Spring 2018?

It's been a while since we've had an (advertised) newbie Bogleyfest, and it's been three years since I've been Canyoneering in Utah, so I now have decided that I'm back to Newbie status due to lack of recent experience.

Would anyone be interested in a Spring-fest in 2018 to get some fresh new impetus and learning? Say April or May?

In previous years I have enjoyed the Bogleyfests in Moab and at North Wash.

Your opinions would be welcome.
    Rob in the UK

2. Likes ddavis liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
    It's been a while since we've had an (advertised) newbie Bogleyfest, and it's been three years since I've been Canyoneering in Utah, so I now have decided that I'm back to Newbie status due to lack of recent experience.

Would anyone be interested in a Spring-fest in 2018 to get some fresh new impetus and learning? Say April or May?

In previous years I have enjoyed the Bogleyfests in Moab and at North Wash.

Your opinions would be welcome.
    Rob in the UK
    Oh yeah - Great idea! Our 2016 Moab one was fun too. It was a mix of canyon collective and Bogley members.

A big campground like at gold bar or along the Colorado east of town would be a good campsite for a lot of us.

I could possibly bring a bunch of single 30 year-old friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Moab is an absolute zoo in April and May. I'd highly recommend a different destination those months.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Dark Horse Leadership is doing a North Wash rendezvous April 19-22nd In case you want to go(or plan yours for another weekend)

I'd shoot for March, I don't see crowds as a problem when you're canyoneering only when you're trying to get fed. But the temp would be better in March I'd rather wear clothes than be hot.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    I'd shoot for March, I don't see crowds as a problem when you're canyoneering only when you're trying to get fed. But the temp would be better in March I'd rather wear clothes than be hot.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    ^^^THIS^^^

A couple years ago we did a Bogley-Fest at the end of February and it worked out great. Even got the Bestwestern to book us a block of rooms for $40 a night.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Mark, I see this (and the subsequent posts) about Late Feb or early March for Moab.

I'm personally quite flexible on dates (I recall freezing my backside off at Sandthrax campsite in November one year ). Do you and the other "older hands" better qualified than I think Moab in late Feb/early March is a reasonable target for a fest?

Or another North Wash, or Swell? I'm open to suggestions.

Rob

I posted this invite on Bogley because I have had good trips and canyons (and hikes) with folk from here on Bogley.

I do actually keep an eye on CC; and see many of the same names.

Please can we keep any differences to a separate thread?

Rob

11. Likes Sombeech, moab mark, Scott P liked this post
    Blog Entries
    If someone is going, I'd love for someone to show us Krill. I have been through Lomatium, just need to knock off Krill.
    @Rob L, which canyons are you wanting to do or redo? Wouldn't be a bad idea to get some ideas flowing.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Mark, I see this (and the subsequent posts) about Late Feb or early March for Moab.

I'm personally quite flexible on dates (I recall freezing my backside off at Sandthrax campsite in November one year ). Do you and the other "older hands" better qualified than I think Moab in late Feb/early March is a reasonable target for a fest?

Or another North Wash, or Swell? I'm open to suggestions.

Rob
    As mentioned, Moab will be a zoo in April and May. Campsites can be a big problem.

Late February early March will be a lot better.

For the Roost, Capitol Reef, or the Swell April and May should be fine.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    If someone is going, I'd love for someone to show us Krill. I have been through Lomatium, just need to knock off Krill.
    @Rob L, which canyons are you wanting to do or redo? Wouldn't be a bad idea to get some ideas flowing.
    I'm open to the continued suggestions, but I've done none in the Swell or the Roost.

Rob

I posted this invite on Bogley because I have had good trips and canyons (and hikes) with folk from here on Bogley.

I do actually keep an eye on CC; and see many of the same names.

Please can we keep any differences to a separate thread?

Rob
    Your wish is my command... The comparison between Bogley and CC now has it's own thread,

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...to-CC&p=589993

Everyone.... Please keep this thread on topic about creating a Boley Fest, Thanks

/Mod Hat OFF

16. Likes Rob L liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Somewhere other than Moab, you might even get me to show up.

For better or worse.

Tom

18. Likes TommyBoy liked this post
    I'm open to the continued suggestions, but I've done none in the Swell or the Roost.

Rob
    I'd vote for the Roost, though I'd go to the Swell too.

I like Moab, but I probably won't go there any more in April and May.

Maybe late February.

We used to do a lot of fests based out of Hidden Splendor Airstrip, which allows for a lot of different canyons. I haven't been to a fest based there for many years. Just food for thought.

If you do the Roost probably have to base out of Granery Springs (Motel 6) as that's one of the few descent large group camping areas. For the most part camping in the Roost sucks as their are not many great campsites.

I'm down for whatever. But my wish list looks like this:

1. North Wash - (Poisonous trifecta, Shenany, Monkey Bi'ness, Foolin' Round, The Hogs, Maidenwater Loopty Loop)
    2. Roost - (Mindbender, <----Not that, the Roosties, Larry, High Spur)
    3. Swell - (Baptist Draw/Upper Chute, Squeeze, Knotted Rope, Q-Direct, Zero G, Eardley)
    4. Zion - (Throw a dart)
    5. Moab - (Entrajo, Arches stuff)
    6. Shane's House

I like areas #1 and 2 early in the year because those canyons typically don't hold much water. And I'm not too jazzed about carrying around a bunch of neoprene in February.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    We used to do a lot of fests based out of Hidden Splendor Airstrip, which allows for a lot of different canyons.
    ^^^ THIS ^^^

and I could bring my toy!:

Name:  m1.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  50.6 KB
    -------
    Jeff

"Be who you are, say what you feel.
    Because those that mind don't matter and,
    those that matter don't mind"

~Dr. Suess~

23. Likes jman, Sombeech liked this post
    I could bring my toy too ! (but I was in the area this April past, so next year must be by road!)

25. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    Love the fuel gauge!

I'm jealous and live in the wrong part of the country!
    -------
    Jeff

"Be who you are, say what you feel.
    Because those that mind don't matter and,
    those that matter don't mind"

~Dr. Suess~

Quote Originally Posted by p40whk View Post
    Love the fuel gauge!

I'm jealous and live in the wrong part of the country!
    I live in the wrong part of the country too [in fact in a different country altogether !]

But I'm back in the USA tomorrow for a further flying trip to the SE states. Might try for a ride in a P40

Rob