Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bogley newbie fest Spring 2018?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
    I live in the wrong part of the country too [in fact in a different country altogether !]

But I'm back in the USA tomorrow for a further flying trip to the SE states. Might try for a ride in a P40

Rob
    If you ever get a ride in a P40 I would really be jealous! Loved your flying videos unfortunately my license has lapsed so I'm flying the low and slow paramotors. I need to strike it rich and buy my own air field.

This Newbie Fest would be a great opportunity for me to fly out there if it works out though.
    -------
    Jeff

"Be who you are, say what you feel.
    Because those that mind don't matter and,
    those that matter don't mind"

~Dr. Suess~

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

OK, I'm back home after visiting the SE States (and seeing the hurricane damage in Florida from above).

Looks like early to mid March is best for me too.

Would this be too cold for camping at "Motel 6" in the roost? Or at Hidden Splendor in the Swell? More importantly, are there "newbie-appropriate" canyons in those locations (I've done neither).

Rob

Would this be too cold for camping at "Motel 6" in the roost? Or at Hidden Splendor in the Swell? More importantly, are there "newbie-appropriate" canyons in those locations (I've done neither).

Rob
    Yeah there are several in both locations. Especially with the right group. A strong, competent group can afford to take along a few newbs -- as long as said newbs are physically able and willing. A pregnant, obese, whiner with recent hip replacement surgery will drag down most groups, regardless of skill level and leadership.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

5. Likes mcweyen, TommyBoy liked this post
    In mid March, the Roost-Motel 6 would be better in my opinion because the canyons tend to be drier. Most of the canyons around Hidden Splendor are either wet or require hiking in Muddy Creek.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I've been snowed on in early April at Hidden Splendor. The plateau you cross getting to Hidden Splendor is pretty high and bad weather early in the year can cause issues. If doing March canyons you want to do the Roost.

8. Likes Scott P liked this post
    @Scott P and @rockgremlin and @Iceaxe :

Would it then be fair & reasonable to suggest mid-March, say the weekend of 16th-18th March at Motel 6 for the newbie fest at the Roost? I could do with some help in rounding up newbies (and even old hands) because I'm out of touch a bit. Your help would be much appreciated.

Rob

10. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    That should be a reasonable time to go. I'll be in Madeira March 14-22 though, so I'd have to skip it. Maybe you can stop in Madeira on the way down. We'll be doing some canyoning there.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    @Scott P and @rockgremlin and @Iceaxe :

Would it then be fair & reasonable to suggest mid-March, say the weekend of 16th-18th March at Motel 6 for the newbie fest at the Roost? I could do with some help in rounding up newbies (and even old hands) because I'm out of touch a bit. Your help would be much appreciated.

Rob
    I have another event scheduled for that weekend (North Wash), so would not be able to make it.

Tom

At first glance those dates look reasonable. Hoping for a strong showing from newbs and veterans alike.

Sorry for the delay folks; I've had some domestic issues that require me to be at home for Jan and Feb and some of March probably, so I'm afraid I've inadvertently led you up the garden path; my apologies.

Late March/ early April anyone?

Sorry for the delay folks; I've had some domestic issues that require me to be at home for Jan and Feb and some of March probably, so I'm afraid I've inadvertently led you up the garden path; my apologies.

I'm still down...

Late March/early April would be better for me anyway.

I've booked my transatlantic flights, which are 12 March-27 March 2018. I think Scott is away in Europe for most of that time, so sorry not to meet up again Scott.

I'd like to propose the weekend of 23-25 March for a Newbie Bogleyfest at either the Roost or The Swell. Which, to be decided upon nearer the time depending on an agreement amongst those willing and able to come and lead. And depending on weather as usual.

Rob

p.s. If Ratagonia is willing, I'd like to join you at North Wash for some genteel canyons the previous weekend, when you are there (16-18 March), if you are able to accommodate me. I'll be 3.5 years out-of-date on experience, hence my voluntarily reverting back to Newbie status.

Blog Entries
    I’ll be in Zion at that time and have an extra permit available for Mystery that Saturday 31st, if you are interested Rob?

But it all depends on the virgin CFS at that time, but this March looks promising due to low snow accumulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I've booked my transatlantic flights, which are 12 March-27 March 2018. I think Scott is away in Europe for most of that time, so sorry not to meet up again Scott.

I'd like to propose the weekend of 23-25 March for a Newbie Bogleyfest at either the Roost or The Swell. Which, to be decided upon nearer the time depending on an agreement amongst those willing and able to come and lead. And depending on weather as usual.

Rob

p.s. If Ratagonia is willing, I'd like to join you at North Wash for some genteel canyons the previous weekend, when you are there (16-18 March), if you are able to accommodate me. I'll be 3.5 years out-of-date on experience, hence my voluntarily reverting back to Newbie status.
    Hi group! thanks for getting this off the ground

My family would be in for March 23-26. My vote would be for the roost area or Bluejohn canyons, as they are beginner friendly and there is amble camping/Motel 6. I would likely bring a group of 3-8 people with varying abilities and some 3 year olds. What are other's thoughts?

Summitseeker

21. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    So it's been 2 weeks and there has been no activity on this thread. Does anyone have input or thoughts on their own commitment to making this weekend happen?

As an added bit of information, the road to the BlueJohn area is reported to have sanddunes blocking the road as of MArch 3, 2018. We will have to verify passably with the hans flats ranger station prior to committing to this location, but i still think this location is a good option.

Seeker

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    I’ll be in Zion at that time and have an extra permit available for Mystery that Saturday 31st, if you are interested Rob?

But it all depends on the virgin CFS at that time, but this March looks promising due to low snow accumulations.
    Snowed last night, here at 5000 feet. Mostly burned off by noon.

Tom

24. Likes jman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by summitseeker View Post
    So it's been 2 weeks and there has been no activity on this thread. Does anyone have input or thoughts on their own commitment to making this weekend happen?

As an added bit of information, the road to the BlueJohn area is reported to have sanddunes blocking the road as of MArch 3, 2018. We will have to verify passably with the hans flats ranger station prior to committing to this location, but i still think this location is a good option.

Seeker
    Summit seeker: It was my original post, my failure to keep thing running, so my Bad in all cases. My apologies to all. I'll still be coming between 12-27 March, and have a few things organised, but unlikely to be a Newbie-fest like it used to be, sorry. Summitseeker: PM on its way.

Quote Originally Posted by jman
    I'd love to, but I'm not in the US on the 31st, sorry.

Rob

OK, let's push the reset button on this thread.

Who here is giving this over a 50% chance of attending/participating?