Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Mass Shooting in Las Vegas at Country Music Festival

I'll just leave this here....

2. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Doesn't fit the narrative, thats why.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/50...ago-this-year/
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

How about these ones?

Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

This is false (Fake News). There are several cities that have stricter gun laws than Chicago. New York and San Franciso are two of them.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

7. Likes hank moon, rockgremlin liked this post
    If the claim is that having guns is your right, that may be a valid argument, but the claim that gun ownership makes you safer, really isn't valid.

Some like to point out the low crime rates and high gun ownership in Switzerland, especially since for many, gun ownership is mandatory.

Here is what it not mentioned though.

In Switzerland, many people are required to own guns and are members of the national militia. This is true. The ammunition of such guns, however, is kept in their military armory. You are not allowed to keep it at home. When the ammunition is needed to defend their country, it is available.

The Switzerland argument people are sharing on FB isn't valid.

9. Likes Rob L, rockgremlin liked this post
    I wonder if there was a big controversy after some caveman invented the slingshot.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

11. Likes oldno7 liked this post

13. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    https://byrslf.co/thoughts-on-the-ve...g-14af397cee2c

“We’re seeing a rise of loneliness and isolation. No one kills themselves when they’re hungry; we kill ourselves when we’re lonely. And we act out, as well.

In the 1960’s, there was one school shooting.
    In the 1980’s, there were 27.
    In the 1990’s, there were 58.
    In the past decade, there have been over 120.

It has nothing to do with guns, it has to do with people feeling lonely.

How do we combat the loneliness that kids are feeling? All of them attacked people in their own community, and all of them attack people they blamed for their own loneliness.”

This loneliness compounds as men grow older.
    ^^^Wow. This is a great article. More people should be aware of this.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post

This is false (Fake News). There are several cities that have stricter gun laws than Chicago. New York and San Franciso are two of them.
    Not fake news, it depends on how you want to weight and grade each specific law and regulation. It depends who's ranking you are looking at as to exactly where they land.

But to keep this simple, Chicago has some of the strictest gun laws in the country, they also have one of the highest homicide rates in the country, those are facts.

And today in #FakeNews.....

CBS makes up bogus term to describe ammo used in Vegas shooting.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/21978/...-ryan-saavedra

Just a note on all of the "Gun Murder Rates" charts, they are counting suicides as gun murder. Just FYI

“If you are for gun control, then you are not against guns, because the guns will be needed to disarm people. So it’s not that you are anti-gun. You’ll need the police’s guns to take away other people’s guns. So you’re very pro-gun; you just believe that only the Government (which is, of course, so reliable, honest, moral and virtuous…) should be allowed to have guns. There is no such thing as gun control. There is only centralizing gun ownership in the hands of a small political elite and their minions.”

I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Not fake news, it depends on how you want to weight and grade each specific law and regulation. It depends who's ranking you are looking at as to exactly where they land.
    Chicago doesn't have the strictest gun laws no matter what weight and grade is each law is given or who's ranking it is. No recent criteria currently ranks Chicago as #1.

Chicago relaxed its gun laws in 2010 and 2013. Before 2010, some rankings listed Chicago at the top of the list, but not in more recent years. Other than internet memes shared on Facebook and in forums, no one still rates Chicago as #1.

There is only centralizing gun ownership in the hands of a small political elite and their minions.
    As mentioned, Switzerland requires firearms ownership among a large part of the population. Each population area has its own armory controlled by the militia where ammunition is stored. Their crime rates are low and that is the epitome of a well regulated militia.

I am not against gun (or ammunition) ownership for law abiding mentally stable citizens here in the US, but the claim that it makes us safer really isn't valid.

^^^insert eyeroll here^^^

I didn't say the strictest, I said one of the strictest.

I'm sorry it's impossible to define all the minor details and nuances to suit your needs in a simple meme....

Here's a new one for Scott to ponder.....

I didn't say the strictest, I said one of the strictest.
    The meme itself is fake news since it says strictest, not one of the strictest. It hasn't been valid in the past few years, no matter who's criteria is used.

The thing about Chicago is that a lot of gun control laws won't work, even if it still had the strictest laws. Chicago sits in the corner of Illinois and right near the border of Wisconsin and Indiana, both of which have lax gun laws compared to Chicago. Anyone has to drive only a few miles to get a gun in one one of the neighboring states. It's the same as people in Salt Lake buying their fireworks from Evanston, doing their gambling in Wendover, and buying their lottery tickets in Idaho, except Chicago is even closer to the state borders.

Here's a new one for Scott to ponder.....
    What does that have to do with me? I haven't said anything about illegal immigration.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't really spoken out for or against gun control either, but have only said that gun ownership doesn't make us safer.

Some gun advocates are more honest in this than others. One honest gun advocate told me that gun ownership makes us a freer society, not a safer one. I can see how that could be a valid argument, but the claims that it makes us safer really aren't valid.

Also, I said before I am not against law abiding, mentally stable citizens owning firearms. Where to draw the line is a harder question to answer.

Several months ago, after the last mass murder shooting, I looked up a bunch of statistics on the CDC's website in relation to gun deaths. I don't recall the exact numbers and I don't have the time to go through the reports again (every death statistic is there, if you have the time it's interesting to go through all their reports) but, I took out suicide by gun deaths and looked at only the murder by gun numbers for the most recent year reported. Then, just because I was curious, I looked up alcohol related vehicle deaths. Guess what? They are nearly identical! So, should we ban alcohol? Or, cars? Or, are both more of a societal problem?
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Just a note on all of the "Gun Murder Rates" charts, they are counting suicides as gun murder. Just FYI
    Yup... one of the favorite tactics of the anti gun lobby is to lump suicides and homicides together to exaggerate the numbers.

FWIW - numerous studies have proven access to guns has no effect on the number of suicides, just the method of suicide.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    If the claim is that having guns is your right, that may be a valid argument,

CLAIM???
    MAY BE??

You are certainly out of touch with reality and the BOR.

These are not claims, they are inalienable/Natural RIGHTS.

They(Natural Rights) are not given to us through the Constitution, only reaffirmed by it.

I don't see people in droves, trying to leave this Country, only the opposite.

Comparing the US to other Countries is a fools errand, we are unlike any other, as proven by the prior sentence.

If we take 5 of the largest cities(all run by democrats, with strict gun control laws) out of the murder equation, where would that make us statistically, compared to other countries?
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

27. Likes LOAH liked this post