Thread: Upper Stair

Upper Stair

Heading down to North Wash for 1st time in few years. After several previous visits finally going to do the Butlers. At 145 lbs think I can sneak thru Shenanigans.
    Not done Upper Stair either - sounds nice. Beta makes it seem similar to Boss Hog with 2 long high 'Mae West' sections. Does that seem about right? Curious I have not seen any trip reports - is it that new or 'double secret' until recently? Appreciate any feedback - thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by flatiron View Post
    Curious I have not seen any trip reports - is it that new or 'double secret' until recently? Appreciate any feedback - thanks.
    No, Stair Canyon is neither a "new" route or a secret. It has been a known betaed route for several years. It's a little farther away from the highway than the more popular North Wash stuff and the road is rougher, so that could account for fewer people.

Years ago I did Stair top to highway, but skipped the very tightest part since we didn't know how hard it was (this before there was beta on the slot section). It's a pretty canyon if you do it that way, especially if you don't mind hiking. It requires a car shuttle though.

I can't comment on the route that just does Upper Stair since I haven't the loop version.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flatiron View Post
    Heading down to North Wash for 1st time in few years. After several previous visits finally going to do the Butlers. At 145 lbs think I can sneak thru Shenanigans.
    Not done Upper Stair either - sounds nice. Beta makes it seem similar to Boss Hog with 2 long high 'Mae West' sections. Does that seem about right? Curious I have not seen any trip reports - is it that new or 'double secret' until recently? Appreciate any feedback - thanks.
    Upper Stair has a short, hard section, that is considerably harder than Boss Hog. I think the long and sandy drive to it has kept it from becoming popular. That is certainly why I have not done it in 10 years or more.

Tom

5. Likes Scott P liked this post
    Thanks both !