Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL & National Anthem

Presidential Election

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post

The top picture is Daytona 2016... And holly time machine.... The bottom picture is Charlotte 2000. FWIW - both Dale Earnhardt #3 and Adam Petty #45 were killed in separate racing accidents in the spring of 2000.

Fans in the infield can can cheer for the driver of their choice and fly any flag they wish. Just like the tailgate party at any other sport. However NASCAR does discourage fans from flying the Confederate Naval Jack. In fact NASCAR will swap any fan who wishes an American flag for any Confederate flag.

Also.... NASCAR team owners have sided with Trump and stated any team members not standing during the National Anthem will be given a bus ticket home.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The NFL has really screwed the pooch on this one. The NFL for many years has been the only major sport not in decline as viewers/fans have found other interests thanks to the internet and satellite TV.

This time the NFL has taken sides in a battle that is impossible for them to win as Trump has brilliantly wrapped himself in the flag and painted anyone taking a different stance as anti-American an unpatriotic. Not to mention turning the spotlight off on a couple items not currently going in his favor.

This is the beginning of the NFL's rating slide and they will never recover. Expert's have been predicting for years that the NFL would eventually follow the other major sports into decline and this is the trigger. Some viewers will switch stations because of the National Anthem controversy and never return. The NFL has finally managed to screw the unscrewable pooch.

/bookmarked
    It is fascinating (and scary) that somehow our most unpatriotic president has been able to convince the country that he is the final say on who is and isn't a patriotic American. 5 bogus deferments, insulting American POW's, colluding with a foreign power to swing the election. No matter, when your the world's bet carnival barker. And yeah, anyone who flies the stars and bars while whining about taking a knee being disrespectful is an idiot.

This won't kill the NFL but it may bring it down a notch. The combo of a million entertainment options, CTE, moving teams, shitty QB play, etc. all contribute but this certainly won't help. The ironic thing for me that I personally have no issue with the protest, but I still watch probably 25% of the amount of football I used to watch just a few years ago. I just have little interest in 90% of the games, but that goes for all sports.

I also think we should take the burning jerseys out beyond sports. Let's just start burning our shit when companies piss us off. Tom Jones calls you out for not wearing a helmet? Burn your Imlay gear! Your alma mater lets Milo on campus? Burn your diploma! You notice an "I'm With Her" bumper sticker on your dentist's SUV? Rip that filling out and burn the bastard!!! That'll teach em'

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    sjw at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Of interest.... The average US Soldier makes $40k a year. The average NFL player makes $2.44 million a year.

Blue collar Joe Sixpack is Trumps base, that's also the foundation of the NFL's fan base. Joe Sixpack might not be well educated, but he is patriotic, which is evident by the general makeup of our armed forces.

Of interest.... The average US Soldier makes $40k a year. The average NFL player makes $2.44 million a year.

Blue collar Joe Sixpack is Trumps base, that's also the foundation of the NFL's fan base. Joe Sixpack might not be well educated, but he is patriotic, which is evident by the general makeup of our armed forces.
    That demographic fits with the military, but now with the other people making less than $50K a year. Most people making $40K voted for Clinton.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Also evident in the audible boos from the fans.

Interesting to watch tomorrow night. Gonna hit the NFL's bottom line. As a business, we'll see what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Also evident in the audible boos from the fans.

Interesting to watch tomorrow night. Gonna hit the NFL's bottom line. As a business, we'll see what they do.
    More than just the NFL's bottomline is going to take a hit. DirecTV is already taking a big hit with fans requesting refunds on their NFL ticket package. That's a big ticket item for them. And how is this going to impact the numerous bars and clubs that plan their Sunday along with Monday and Thursday nights around the NFL. When how long until network TV sponsors begin requesting breaks on their purchased commercial time or stop renewing. Anything involving the NFL has pretty much been a licence to print money to date.

In reality it any boycott will take a while to hit the NFL bottom line. The majority of their income comes from their TV deals which are signed, sealed and delivered already. Even if ratings plummet it doesn't hurt the NFL until the contracts are up for renegotiation. Season tix for this year are probably sold out for the majority of teams so potentially there could be a drop in revenue next year, but this year is fine. But you are still talking about only 8 home games and a limited # of seats so for most franchises they will still have enough fans willing to shell out the cash for the games especially considering the average attention span of Americans.

More interesting to me is what the NBA will do in a few weeks. That league is much more progressive and with guaranteed contracts the owners have a lot less power than NFL owners. "Republicans buy sneakers too" is MJ's famous line, but I don't get the impression that this crop of NBA superstar is afraid of controversy. LBJ already called trump a bum and was met mainly with praise.

By the way, who is going to lead the "lock him up" chant about for Kush and his private emails?

The money teams make from actual butts in the stadium seats is of little consequence. The LA Rams and LA Chargers prove that point. It's all about the TV money.

Just a thought, but the NFL discussion deserves its own thread.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Nah...this thread is all about Trump. That guy is such a badass, I love it.

Watching him do his thing almost stokes the anarchist part of me. Just shake things up just for the hell of it.

Now he's on to tax reform. Those stinking, money grubbing congressmen are likely to piss on that, too. I'm glad that at least somebody is trying.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Actually Colin Kapernick started this long before Trump came along. Trump was just the latest in a long line of people to toss gas on this dumpster fire.

15. Likes Scott P liked this post

I'm tellin' ya, man...they just can't win. It's a tragic comedy.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

But they was, they was!

The NFL and the National Anthem ruckus now has it's own thread. This problem really began to blow up back in 2012 with Trayvon Martin, Black Lives Matter, Obama and his "if I had a son" speech, Colin Kaepernick... you get the idea.

The NFL and the National Anthem ruckus now has it's own thread. This problem really began to blow up back in 2012 with Trayvon Martin, Black Lives Matter, Obama and his "if I had a son" speech, Colin Kaepernick... you get the idea.
    Started WAY before that...

Name:  1968 olympics.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  41.0 KB

And we're still dealing with "it"...

Funny...I have a "mild" bet with the ultra liberal that the NFL will actually see a boost, money wise, with all the liberal support for their protest.

Not likely, I say...

I agree this started long ago, I guess I'm saying the latest major eruption seems to have started with Treyvon Martin.

You could also add the O.J. deal into the mix. I remember a black friend telling me "I know O.J. is guilty as hell, but it's nice to see a black man finally get off".

I've maintained all along the blacks have a legitimate bitch, I just think they would be much better served to pick their battles a little more wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    sjw at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
    Even worse in the eyes of the military, this guy was kneeling during the playing of Taps.