Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL & National Anthem

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Can't argue with a thing this man says,

https://www.facebook.com/newlypress/...2036181060754/
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    From the beginning Kaepernick said this wasn't a protest of the anthem, the flag and especially the military, but is done to bring attention to a serious problem in the country. I
    But real quick after he took that knee he came out sportin' socks that depicted cops as pigs. That's when this whole thing really shit the bed.

He screwed the whole thing up.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    But real quick after he took that knee he came out sportin' socks that depicted cops as pigs. That's when this whole thing really shit the bed.

He screwed the whole thing up.
    The Castro shirt wasn't helpful either, but an imperfect messenger doesn't change the message.

I thought this was a good perspective from a vet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNJUsE7pEs4

By the way Ice, your wife missed nothing when she skipped the Raiders game. Their offensive line looked as bad as byu and Amari Cooper's 1 catch fir 6 years really torpedoed by fantasy team. So much for the Raiders being good this year.

Also ratings seemed to be a bit mixed with SNF being down and MNF being up, and the average up 3% from last year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...up-for-week-3/

but an imperfect messenger doesn't change the message.

What is the message??
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

We keep hearing about all of these unarmed black men shot by white cops, as if there were some lopsided statistic compared to white men shot by cops.

Well, there are some definite biased statistics, because there are more unarmed white men shot and killed by police than there are black men.

That, and the whole "Hands up don't shoot" movement was started because of the lie boosted by mainstream media.

So I've gotta ask, what is this message about cops killing black men?

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    What is the message??
    I am guessing they are sick of police practices like this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.8ab540651503

The shooting are the extreme cases and may be few and far between, but the everyday harassment isn't. Quick anecdotal story from me. I've been pulled over probably half a dozen or so times in my life. Every time for an obvious infraction, except one. On that occasion I was pulled over for "failure to signal", and I have no idea if it was legit or not. But I happened to be driving with a black friend, and after the cop asked for my docs, he then when ahead and asked for the ID of my passenger as well. Goes to the cruiser, comes back, has my buddy get out of the car, does a full pat down and starts giving him 20 questions. Meanwhile I am comfortably sitting in my car. Ends up that his name was supposedly similar to someone with outstanding warrants and we go on our way. Maybe it was a one off and had nothing to do with him being black, but there sure seems to be a lot of stories like that. Ever had a cop check the ID of your passengers for a traffic violation? Ever been quizzed because your name is similar to someone else's? Ever been taken out of a car and given a pat down because you were driving with someone who didn't use their turn signal? Those were all a one time thing for me.

q
    I am guessing they are sick of police practices like this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.8ab540651503

The shooting are the extreme cases and may be few and far between, but the everyday harassment isn't. Quick anecdotal story from me. I've been pulled over probably half a dozen or so times in my life. Every time for an obvious infraction, except one. On that occasion I was pulled over for "failure to signal", and I have no idea if it was legit or not. But I happened to be driving with a black friend, and after the cop asked for my docs, he then when ahead and asked for the ID of my passenger as well. Goes to the cruiser, comes back, has my buddy get out of the car, does a full pat down and starts giving him 20 questions. Meanwhile I am comfortably sitting in my car. Ends up that his name was supposedly similar to someone with outstanding warrants and we go on our way. Maybe it was a one off and had nothing to do with him being black, but there sure seems to be a lot of stories like that. Ever had a cop check the ID of your passengers for a traffic violation? Ever been quizzed because your name is similar to someone else's? Ever been taken out of a car and given a pat down because you were driving with someone who didn't use their turn signal? Those were all a one time thing for me.
    So if a higher number of whites are targeted and shot than blacks, the nfl protest is for them too?
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Theres a disproportionate number of blacks killed by other blacks, is this protest to help them??
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

13. Likes nelsonccc liked this post
    So if a higher number of whites are targeted and shot than blacks, the nfl protest is for them too?
    I don't believe the data supports your statement. As a percentage, more blacks are shot than whites by cops. And, if you're involved in an officer to officer shooting, the officers shot by other officers were 9 out of 10 times more likely to be black or Hispanic.

Based on the percentage of population of whites and blacks, blacks are more than 2.5 times as likely to be shot and killed by a cop than a white person.

You can crunch the numbers yourself if you'd like:

https://github.com/washingtonpost/da...tings-data.csv

seriously--the washington post???wtf

here, try the real fbi numbers, make up your own story.(your good at it)

these are 2016 statistics.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ables/table-21

and not to get off target--what is the nfl protest about??

I know what kapernicks protest was..

apparently brian favors the undefined(as of yet) nfl protest.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

seriously--the washington post???wtf

here, try the real fbi numbers, make up your own story.(your good at it)

these are 2016 statistics.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ables/table-21
    That data is for arrests. You got FBI data on police shootings? Or any data from any source?

The arrest data itself is interesting. Arrest mirror the populations as percentages much closer than being shot. Especially being shot if you're unarmed...

Demography of the US is 73.6% white and 12.6% black.

From your referenced table 21A, in 2016, 69.6% of arrests were white, 26.9% were black.

Its interesting to look at arresting charge and percentages. Murder, robbery, gambling, suspicion and curfew are skewed toward the black population.

I don't see where the FBI compiles data on race and police shootings. They compile data on police being shot. But, not data on police doing the shooting. At least not that I could find.

If you don't like the Washington Post data, what data on police shootings works for you?

I checked at least the Utah data against the database and it seemed accurate. You look at the data and surmise that it was not accurate? Even that poor feller with the shovel in the Ave's was in there from 2015.

and not to get off target--what is the nfl protest about??

I know what kapernicks protest was..

apparently brian favors the undefined(as of yet) nfl protest.
    I favor an undefined protest by the NFL? What's that even mean?

What do I think the NFL protest was about? Team solidarity in light of the "great divider's" comments.

What do you think the NFL protest is about?

Honestly, I felt like the league let this issue get away from them a bit. The players wear a uniform and sign a contract. If they don't want to honor that contract...up to them. But, the owners/team/league shoulda cleared the air on this last year. That chicken came home to roost as the player that got the most attention for this doesn't have a job.

“players are encouraged but not required to stand during the National Anthem.”

You pays your money and you takes your chances. If you want to not stand for the pledge or the anthem, up to you, but, you suffer the consequences. I don't feel that sorry for the Kapernick feller. Maybe after his career he shoulda got into politics not during. Big risk. Maybe he took one for the team or the greater good. I'm not so sure.

But, the league, who made the rules these guys sign up to, didn't enforce (or watered down) those rules. So, they kinda either turned a blind eye or accepted the kneeling thing. Which, a lot of people had an issue with.

Saw an interview last night with Tommie Smith. A raised fist and a bowed head. Little stronger statement than taking a knee and bowing a head. Enormous image. And, we're still talking about it.

Helluva time to be alive...(and...wild timing on Ken Burns' Vietnam series...).

Attached Images Attached Images  
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

The NFL has really screwed the pooch on this one. The NFL for many years has been the only major sport not in decline as viewers/fans have found other interests thanks to the internet and satellite TV.

This time the NFL has taken sides in a battle that is impossible for them to win as Trump has brilliantly wrapped himself in the flag and painted anyone taking a different stance as anti-American an unpatriotic. Not to mention turning the spotlight off on a couple items not currently going in his favor.

This is the beginning of the NFL's rating slide and they will never recover. Expert's have been predicting for years that the NFL would eventually follow the other major sports into decline and this is the trigger. Some viewers will switch stations because of the National Anthem controversy and never return. The NFL has finally managed to screw the unscrewable pooch.

/bookmarked

Cards are falling.

nfl sunday ticket

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ticket-package
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

I'm listening to local talk radio and this is the hot topic...EVERYBODY'S pissed!

On Sunday I was working and had the radio set up to listen to the game, as I have for decades when I work on that day.

The voice of the Broncos says "Twenty five men of the 53 man roster just took a knee" and right at the moment, I wanted the Broncos to get their asses kicked...and they did.

I'm done with them. I won't even listen to the big game next week. It's just ruined until something drastic happens. The owners have to know that if they let this slide, some of these guys will start doing whatever the hell they want and the drama will never end.

I think the tell will be next week...if these players were smart, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM would stand for the anthem. They could proclaim "point made" and get a little damage control in, too.

We'll see what happens, huh? It's all just going to wiggle around 'till Sunday. Thursday night might give a clue...
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

I say the top one is photoshopped.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?