Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL & National Anthem

Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    What the heck are you talking about? Please explain how blacks aren't as free as anyone else in our country.
    Come on man, you're a smart guy. You can't believe that African Americans have the same American experience as white Americans. When was the last time anyone on this board was tasered for parking in a handicap spot at 2:00 AM while you ran into Walgreens? Or had the cops called on you for sitting in Starbucks, or for having a BBQ, or for sleeping in a dorm? What about being shot by a cop while being unarmed?

https://www.theroot.com/an-incomplet...oid-1824032408

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    Come on man, you're a smart guy. You can't believe that African Americans have the same American experience as white Americans. When was the last time anyone on this board was tasered for parking in a handicap spot at 2:00 AM while you ran into Walgreens? Or had the cops called on you for sitting in Starbucks, or for having a BBQ, or for sleeping in a dorm? What about being shot by a cop while being unarmed?

I would say that everyone in this country has the same rights as anyone else. If the cops are nervous about approaching black folks, I personally wouldn't blame them...I'd be nervous, too. Especially since the cops chances of getting killed go up 100% when they respond to a call. I wouldn't take that job if it paid 500K a year.

I wonder how many other people, who aren't black, get their heads busted by some jacked up cop who should never have been hired. You know as well as I that we don't live in a perfect world.

I come from a dirt poor family. My highest education was the 8th grade. I was homeless or tossed around from the age of 15-19. I slept in abandoned houses, shoplifted food. I never held more than 2 grand in my hand until the age of 28.

I learned how to paint houses and made a career out of it. Now at 55 I'm a millionaire. Retirement is assured by my purchase of rental properties. I paid my dues, saved my money and worked my ass off for 25 years. Stayed out of trouble.

If I can do it, anyone can. Don't give me this BS about me having a leg up because of my skin color, either. My clients hire me and refer me because I've proven trustworthiness, show up on time and kick ass. That's all ya gotta do.

In my opinion, these people should be protesting the stupid aspects of the "black culture" and rejecting all the negative, sad sack liberals that keep pushing them to remain pissed off when they look in the mirror.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

4. Likes rockgremlin, devo_stevo, oldno7 liked this post

We reap what we sow.

My big question has always been why have blacks not assimilated into society as other cultures have. Hispanic and Asian don't have these same problems on nearly the scale as African Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    I would say that everyone in this country has the same rights as anyone else. If the cops are nervous about approaching black folks, I personally wouldn't blame them...I'd be nervous, too. Especially since the cops chances of getting killed go up 100% when they respond to a call. I wouldn't take that job if it paid 500K a year.

I wonder how many other people, who aren't black, get their heads busted by some jacked up cop who should never have been hired. You know as well as I that we don't live in a perfect world.

I come from a dirt poor family. My highest education was the 8th grade. I was homeless or tossed around from the age of 15-19. I slept in abandoned houses, shoplifted food. I never held more than 2 grand in my hand until the age of 28.

I learned how to paint houses and made a career out of it. Now at 55 I'm a millionaire. Retirement is assured by my purchase of rental properties. I paid my dues, saved my money and worked my ass off for 25 years. Stayed out of trouble.

If I can do it, anyone can. Don't give me this BS about me having a leg up because of my skin color, either. My clients hire me and refer me because I've proven trustworthiness, show up on time and kick ass. That's all ya gotta do.

In my opinion, these people should be protesting the stupid aspects of the "black culture" and rejecting all the negative, sad sack liberals that keep pushing them to remain pissed off when they look in the mirror.
    Great post. Pretty much nails how I feel about it.

I realize that there are people and organizations that make it difficult to get ahead simply because of the color of your skin. That's wrong and it should not happen, but it does. It's one of the things that makes the human race...human. Not defending it, just saying it's true.

Here's the thing though. The United States of America (in it's current form) provides equal rights and protections for all people regardless of skin color. If a black man, born into poverty, raised primarily by a single mother, can get into ivy league schools, get a law degree, become a respected lawyer, then a senator, then president of the United States, I'd say we live in a country where you can succeed regardless of pretty much anything.

The job of the government is not to lift anyone up, but to remove obstacles so that you can lift yourself. At least that's my view of things.

7. Likes rockgremlin, oldno7 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    We reap what we sow.

My big question has always been why have blacks not assimilated into society as other cultures have. Hispanic and Asian don't have these same problems on nearly the scale as African Americans.

On the grand scale I am far far from a sjw, but the "we reap what we sow" comment is the height of "white privilege". No one on this board is ever prejudged based on bad shit that other white folk have done. But blacks get that every day, no need to trot out the mountains of studies that prove it. So we live in a society where Tamir Rice is shot and killed because other black people did bad things, and then we are shocked and outraged that they kneel during the anthem?

Devo is right that the US is supposed to provide equal rights for us all, but the players are kneeling because that isn't actually happening. The criminal justice system is the perfect example. Whites and blacks both do illegal drugs at the same level, but blacks are many more times likely to be locked up for it.

9. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Name:  6078d88fa0c3c34d9b8e7e547d3e4be44c14dd6338136a757871a426cc36a676_1.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  73.5 KB

11. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    Name:  6078d88fa0c3c34d9b8e7e547d3e4be44c14dd6338136a757871a426cc36a676_1.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  73.5 KB
    Hahaha... I said basically the same thing an got accused of 'white privilege'.

Hahaha... I said basically the same thing an got accused of 'white privilege'.

That's because though it makes for a nice meme, it's a dumb argument. The idea that minor infractions can be met with brutality and death isn't the way it should be. And for the most part it isn't the way it is for whites. Haven't even mentioned all of the driving while black incidents.

Remember this one? http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...e90905442.html

14. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    No one on this board is ever prejudged based on bad shit that other white folk have done.
    You mean, like being called racist? Noooooo, I've NEVER been called a racist, just for being whi-WAIT YES I HAVE

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    You mean, like being called racist? Noooooo, I've NEVER been called a racist, just for being whi-WAIT YES I HAVE
    Poor guy. That must have been so difficult. It's just the same as not being able to get a job or an apartment, or getting pulled over all of the time for no reason.

We reap what we sow.

Exactly.

Why don't the Japanese have some major chip on their shoulder against the U.S. for dropping atomic bombs on them and firebombing Tokyo during the end of WW2? We blatantly killed hundreds of thousands of their civilians during that war. Additionally, we arrested any Japanese citizen who may have been residing in the US during that time, and placed them in concentration camps - one right here in Utah (Topaz).

Yet they don't seem to hold a grudge about any of that.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Poor guy. That must have been so difficult. It's just the same as not being able to get a job or an apartment, or getting pulled over all of the time for no reason.
    Who are you hanging out with? Because my black friends and family members do not have this problem.

Devo is right that the US is supposed to provide equal rights for us all, but the players are kneeling because that isn't actually happening. The criminal justice system is the perfect example. Whites and blacks both do illegal drugs at the same level, but blacks are many more times likely to be locked up for it.
    This is the crux of the argument.

It's easy to say that we're all equal in this country, with equal rights and opportunities, but the fact of the matter is that blacks do get treated differently just because they're black.

What is supposed to happen in this country and what actually happens are two different things.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Exactly.

Why don't the Japanese have some major chip on their shoulder against the U.S. for dropping atomic bombs on them and firebombing Tokyo during the end of WW2? We blatantly killed hundreds of thousands of their civilians during that war. Additionally, we arrested any Japanese citizen who may have been residing in the US during that time, and placed them in concentration camps - one right here in Utah (Topaz).

Yet they don't seem to hold a grudge about any of that.
    Dwelling in misery sucks.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    ambition will get any person, of any race, either sex,and lgqtmrvsu society--a good career and advancement at any rate one chooses.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

23. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    White privilege is an excuse used by those too lazy to get up in the morning and put in a hard days work.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

25. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    What is supposed to happen in this country and what actually happens are two different things.
    Why is there no outrage from the left over the preferential treatment the elite ruling class receives? If anyone else did what Hillary did with classified email they would be in prison.

Unfortunately there are always two sets of rules. One of the first things my parents taught me is life isn't fair, get over it, put on your big boy pants and get to work.

This kid is certainly a savant. Good for him, he's too smart to flop around or crash and burn.

Smart to join the Navy, too. He doesn't have to worry about sleeping and eating anymore. Plus the Navy will grow him up real quick. I joined at 19.

For other young ones that are living in dysfunction, I would recommend learning a trade. Especially in home maintenance and remodeling. Anybody with a brain can become an expert within 5 years...then go out on your own. There's plenty of work.

Unfortunately, there are those that will never make more than 12 bucks an hour their entire lives. That's just the way they roll...lacking drive, ambition, work ethic mixed with pride. I think some want to pin the tail on something/someone if things aren't laid at their feet. Kinda sums up the race/lack of education excuse that's thrown up.

Oh well...I certainly expect people to be throwing their fists into the air for one reason or another for the rest of my lifetime. I just wish everyone luck and try to avoid those that are crashing into shit.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Why is there no outrage from the left over the preferential treatment the elite ruling class receives? If anyone else did what Hillary did with classified email they would be in prison.

Unfortunately there are always two sets of rules. One of the first things my parents taught me is life isn't fair, get over it, put on your big boy pants and get to work.
    Did you miss the 2016 election? All of the Bernie Bros who refused to jump on the Hillary bandwagon probably swung the election. Lots of people on the left would love for the Clinton clan to just stfu and leave.

I'll just say one more thing about the players protest before I chalk this thread up to one more debate won by me. I'm undefeated! Never Lost!

All of you guys saying that anyone can succeed if they work hard enough. Umm, no shit, most of those players are proof positive of that. Life is certainly harder in this country for minorities, poor people, etc. but it can all be overcome with hard work and the ability to keep fighting. But that's not what they are protesting. They are protesting police brutality and a screwed up criminal justice system that blatantly targets their community. Good for them for standing up and fighting back. It's the American way after all.