Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL & National Anthem

Houston Texans refuse to sign any players who protested the National Anthem.

http://dailysnark.com/report-houston...tional-anthem/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Houston Texans refuse to sign any players who protested the National Anthem.

http://dailysnark.com/report-houston...tional-anthem/
    I am sure that will help them escape the cycle of perpetual mediocrity they have lived for the last decade.

This will be interesting...

NFL adopts policy to fine teams if players and personnel don't stand for national anthem

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2018/0...al-anthem.html

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    This will be interesting...

NFL adopts policy to fine teams if players and personnel don't stand for national anthem

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2018/0...al-anthem.html
    Why would they do this? Just last year the NFL assured us that disrespecting the flag was not harming the sport.

The NFL somehow managed to screw the unscrewable pooch. Many of the fans they lost are not coming back. I've seen this many times in other sports.

Combined with the concussion problem and the fact many people will no longer allow their kids to participate in tackle football the sport will slowly die. You have witnessed the high water mark of football. It's all just a long downhill slide from here. Enjoy...

/Bookmarked

Why would they do this? Just last year the NFL assured us that disrespecting the flag was not harming the sport.

The NFL somehow managed to screw the unscrewable pooch. Many of the fans they lost are not coming back. I've seen this many times in other sports.

Combined with the concussion problem and the fact many people will no longer allow their kids to participate in tackle football the sport will slowly die. You have witnessed the high water mark of football. It's all just a long downhill slide from here. Enjoy...

/Bookmarked
    I agree with the high water mark comment, but I doubt it has anything to do with the protest. Also I am interested in the "I've seen this many times in other sports". Even sports like baseball and hockey that basically cancelled an entire season came back eventually.

Football, may never be quite as popular as it once was but it will be just fine for the next decade as more and more states start allowing legal betting. Gambling and fantasy football is really what skyrocketed the NFL over the past 15 years, and now that is about to expand all over the place (though never Utah).

Football's decline will be slow and steady, but you have seen it reach it's zenith.

Baseball, basketball and hockey never did fully recover from their strikes. Baseball is a hollow shell of what it once was. It took nearly a century for it's fall from America's past time but it fell.

This also reminds me a lot of Indy Car racing. At one time Indy was the world's largest single day sporting event, but internal conflicts destroy the sport in only a couple of years.

All major sports are dying, there is just too much competition from fringe sports that can now be followed through the internet. The NFL has been immune to this decline but the National Anthem screw up was the straw that finally broke the camels back and started the downhill slide.

Which is why the NFL is now desperately trying to put the National Anthem genie back in the bottle.

YMMV

I’m not convinced.

What will take over as the sports Goliath?

I’m not convinced.

Football will still be the big dog for the next 30 or 40 years but the concussion syndrome is football's cancer and it will claim it's victim soon enough. It's already begun, registration for youth football is at historic lows, partcipation in high school football is slumping.

You don't have to believe it, just remember while rocking in your chair at the old folks home when football is the new baseball that I told you so.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...904-story.html

https://syndication.bleacherreport.c...ayers.amp.html

https://www.athleticbusiness.com/hig...astically.html

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I’m not convinced.

THUNDERDOME
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

You can also add boxing to the list of once huge sports that have fallen from grace. Boxing suffered the same fate as the Indy 500.

And why do we need a goliath sport?

Remind me again why they were kneeling? How often does this happen and get swept under the rug, when the guy isn't famous?

https://deadspin.com/milwaukee-polic...own-1826275081

Not saying we need a Goliath sport, just that the NFL holds that title until another takes it from them.

According to @SethWickersham there was no official vote on the national anthem policy at the NFL spring meetings.

16. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    A soldier who never knew and never will know me died for me so I can be free. The least I can do is stand for the National Anthem.

18. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    A soldier who never knew and never will know me died for me so I can be free. The least I can do is stand for the National Anthem.
    And when African Americans are as free as you and me, they will probably all stand as well. I'm guessing a good # of soldiers have served over the years to help defend our right to protest and dissent.

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    And when African Americans are as free as you and me, they will probably all stand as well.
    What the heck are you talking about? Please explain how blacks aren't as free as anyone else in our country.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Pesky 13th Amendment

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Name:  Smith.JPG
Views: 163
Size:  94.2 KB