Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL & National Anthem

NFL & National Anthem

We may need a separate thread to talk about this one. It’s blown up!

Steelers won't participate in anthem, will stay in locker room

Jaguars owner takes part as both teams protest before London game

Raiders' all African-American O-line to protest during anthem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Presidential Election

The NFL ratings will suffer like they did last year. People watch sports to relax and for an outlet, not to hear about politics. Many will turn it off or choose not to attend games.

Trump forced the NFL commissioner to take a stance and he chose to side with the players. In doing so, he took a stance against those who this offends.

It is certainly their right to protest. I just don’t understand how these protests solve any problems or make things better. They do not bring any unity when the act itself offends and is seen as disrespectful by many.

Can someone explain how these protests are going to help make the United States less divisive?

4. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    I believe Trump starts these little shit storms intentionally. The media is now off chasing the NFL squirrel and has completely forgotten about the Russian unicorn, replacing Obama Care and everything else that reflects badly on Trump.

Trump is a master at manipulating the media. He has attacked a subject that is controversial, and where half the country will support him as many see this as nothing more than disrespecting the National Anthem.

Browns, Colts, Patriots booed during anthem protests

Presidential Election

Look: NFL teams take varying approaches to national anthem in Week 3

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1381735

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    probably difficult for some to watch, it stands for something.(flag)
    It's not just a symbol, it's who we are and where we came from.
    This is why some are trying so hard to destroy our history.

(little History lesson, for those inclined)

I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

9. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    Normally I cheer against the Cowboys, but at least for this weekend I'm a Cowboys fan.

Jerry Jones: Cowboys will stand for the flag or "your ass is off the team".

https://t.co/ARdPMsIfLC?ssr=true

11. Likes gholt, twotimer liked this post
    So the Raiders are all sitting there with foul expressions as some chick belts out the National Anthem...you can see "F-you, honkey!" all over their faces and their getting ready to beat the shit out of each other in front of thousands of white folks.

Once again, the blacks and their bootlicking sycophants are fighting a battle that they can't win. They can't even clearly define what it is they're bent about...except to throw up the finger at our "racist" country. That ain't gonna work...not in the big picture. They've got to refine themselves somehow.

They're defending a bunch of criminals and thugs. They sell poison to each other and kill each other's kids. They should have more concern about the gang members than the cops.

I think these athletes are spoiled rotten dumb asses.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

13. Likes rockgremlin, gholt liked this post
    Agreed

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

So the Raiders
    I don't even know that much about football, but I do know that almost everyone hates the Raiders.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Raiders got their ass handed to them tonight.... It seemed only fitting....

Just a thought. Had Trump tweeted in support of those that SIT during our National Anthem, every one of those NFL players would have been standing today with their hands over their hearts.... Just saying...

19. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    I don't even know that much about football, but I do know that almost everyone hates the Raiders.
    Shauna Burrows is a huge Raiders fan - or...was?

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    Shauna Burrows is a huge Raiders fan - or...was?
    She still is, but she refused to watch the game when the Raiders refused to stand for the National Anthem. I'm betting the NFL takes a hit in the ratings over this as I'm thinking a large number of fans feel as she does. Many in her family have served in the military and I know none of them were happy about what they consider disrespect to those who served.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Instead of the cute meme how about a link to the actual article?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ess/698122001/

High five to NASCAR.

If only people were as upset about cops killing unarmed black men as they were about a peaceful protest, maybe this could have been all avoided. Also, I am sure all of you outraged folks proudly stand at home with your hand over your heart anytime you hear the anthem. You know doubt follow the rest of the rules about the flag as well, no clothes, not used to sell crap, not on plates, etc.

The fact is this country still suffers from serious systemic racism. And while no doubt all of the middle and upper class white people on the internet could easily overcome the generations of oppression, lack of access to quality schools, healthcare, etc., etc. etc., maybe the America you live in is a little bit different from the America for the average African American. From the beginning Kaepernick said this wasn't a protest of the anthem, the flag and especially the military, but is done to bring attention to a serious problem in the country. I have also seen a ton of active a past members of the military give their support to the protest, so it can't be all that offensive.

Did anyone else see the irony of a bunch of white people in Alabama getting outraged because a few black guys refused to stand when told?

I do agree with Iceaxe that Trump knew what would happen and did it to distract from the all the negatives surrounding the administration: the graft of Mnuchin and Price, impending healthcare failure #3, Mueller, Kushner's private email use.....

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    If only people were as upset about cops killing unarmed black men as they were about a peaceful protest, maybe this could have been all avoided. Also, I am sure all of you outraged folks proudly stand at home with your hand over your heart anytime you hear the anthem. You know doubt follow the rest of the rules about the flag as well, no clothes, not used to sell crap, not on plates, etc.
    Actually I do respect all the rules of the flag.... and I do agree the blacks have a legit bitch.....

But let's take your argument one step further.... if the black community was as outraged and would step up and do something about the thousands of young black men killing each other in the streets every year it would be a more productive battle and more lives would be saved... just saying...

25. Likes nelsonccc liked this post
    These players (people that get paid millions to play a game) are expressing themselves on their privileged platform in front of millions, to express their opinion.

Then the President has the same Constitutional right to express his opinion on his privileged platform in front of millions, and these rich fortunate game players get their feelbads hurt.

What should really happen is a new rule saying White honkees can't tackle these poor rich black fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Actually I do respect all the rules of the flag.... and I do agree the blacks have a legit bitch.....

But let's take your argument one step further.... if the black community was as outraged and would step up and do something about the thousands of young black men killing each other in the streets every year it would be a more productive battle and more lives would be saved... just saying...
    Lots of people have and continually do. Take for instance Colin Kaepernick who is well on his way to completing his $1,000,000 pledge. http://kaepernick7.com/million-dollar-pledge/

Hell, I would bet athletes on average provide more charity time than most other professions.