Thread: Canyon Large Enough for a Piano??

Canyon Large Enough for a Piano??

Hi Everyone, I've been on the forum for a while but lost my username and can't remember what e-mail it was attached to...

A relative of mine will be filming a music video and would like to place a piano inside a slot canyon. Does anyone know a canyon that would be wide enough to put a piano inside, that also wouldn't have legal access issues?

Just a little background, this isn't a small thrown together music video. Its a very professional project that has been replicated all throughout the world at major landmarks. The canyon can be anywhere as long as it is sandstone.

2. Likes jman liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Just curious, what will the photography requirements be, will they want to shoot some aerial stuff too? If so, they'll want a wide enough canyon not only for the piano, but wide enough for some aerial parameter shooting, unless it'll all be filmed from the ground, or from somebody on rappel.

Quote Originally Posted by centralincisor View Post
    Hi Everyone, I've been on the forum for a while but lost my username and can't remember what e-mail it was attached to...

A relative of mine will be filming a music video and would like to place a piano inside a slot canyon. Does anyone know a canyon that would be wide enough to put a piano inside, that also wouldn't have legal access issues?

Just a little background, this isn't a small thrown together music video. Its a very professional project that has been replicated all throughout the world at major landmarks. The canyon can be anywhere as long as it is sandstone.
    I'm thinking the bottom section of Leprechaun might be your best bet. I know they have used that section for filming a couple of movies and TV shows. Contact the Hanksville BLM.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Baby Grand? Seems like closeness to the road might be the primary consideration.

T

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Just curious, what will the photography requirements be, will they want to shoot some aerial stuff too? If so, they'll want a wide enough canyon not only for the piano, but wide enough for some aerial parameter shooting, unless it'll all be filmed from the ground, or from somebody on rappel.
    Yes they will be doing aerial shots if possible given the size of the canyon

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Baby Grand? Seems like closeness to the road might be the primary consideration.

T
    A canyon close to the road would be ideal, although they have the capability of air deliver of the piano if needed. But yes, a canyon relatively close to the road would certainly be better if possible.

Maybe the very bottom of Entrajo would be a good location. It isn't a real slot at that point, but is narrow and would be really easy to get a piano to since it's right at the road and then a very short flat walk.

Frylet goes right under the highway. It's usually wet in places, but you should find somewhere dry in there?

Keep in mind that if you go to a popular slot, you will have hikers and canyoneers passing you at times.

Farnsworth in the Swell might be eorth looking into, though the road can be rough. Since it isn't that deep, lighting would be better. Is doesn't see that much traffic either.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

If airlift is an option there are a couple of wider slots that go through the San Rafael Reef that would be very scenic and see little traffic.

Onion Creek in Moab might be the canyon or area you are looking for as you can drive to the exit of several very inviting looking slots. The area is also BLM, which I'm guessing will be a requirement as getting to proper permits for other area's could be a nightmare.

Onion Creek - Moab
    http://climb-utah.com/Moab/onion.htm

If you filmed in Alcatraz in Robbers Roost air delivery of a baby grand would be a piece of cake.... However, retrieval might be an issue.

Alcatraz Canyon - Robbers Roost

http://climb-utah.com/Roost/alcatraz.htm

13. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Can anyone say "Piano Guys"???

Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    Can anyone say "Piano Guys"???
    I re-read my posts on this thread and chuckled realizing this does sound a lot like the Piano Guys. This video in particular?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgovv8jWETM

Unfortunately my relative isn't one of the Piano guys, but I did meet Jon Schmidt once and he was a very nice guy.

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions!