Thread: Kokanee Salmon spawn at Causey Reservoir

Kokanee Salmon spawn at Causey Reservoir

This has been a fun family tradition where we hike Causey Reservoir to see the bright red Kokanee Salmon spawning in the South East inlet. The Skull Crack trail is 2.3 miles in with some decent incline and decline both ways, give yourself and family about an hour. You can also go via water on kayak, SUP, or canoe.

Please note the Kokanee Salmon are protected at this time, no fishing, don't touch them or harass them to get a better photo. Don't trudge up the stream bed to follow them, as you'll be stepping on their eggs. Personally, I use a GoPro on a long extended pole so I don't have to get into the middle of the stream to snap some photos or video.

I packed the drone up there also. I would assume they've got another week with good fish population, so choose a dry day next week to head up after work.

Enjoy

2. Likes Rob L, devo_stevo liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Cracking video & photos!

5. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    Nicely done! Do you use an aftermarket underwater camera housing for your Hero5 or run it "naked"?
    Are we there yet?

7. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    Thanks guys.

On the GoPro, it's the 5 so the camera itself is waterproof without an additional housing. Then I'm using the skeleton frame mount it comes with just for the mounting bracket, and I've got it on an extension pole that will go out about 6 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Thanks guys. On the GoPro, it's the 5 so the camera itself is waterproof without an additional housing.
    Yeah, I have the Hero5 Black as well and I understand it's waterproof as stands but, I guess some guys are buying an aftermarket underwater housing case. Sounds like you don't use one so, that answers my question.
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    Yeah, I have the Hero5 Black as well and I understand it's waterproof as stands but, I guess some guys are buying an aftermarket underwater housing case. Sounds like you don't use one so, that answers my question.
    Correct, I don't have the housing. It's a little unnerving at first because you see the slots for the microphone and the doors, but yep, it's all waterproof.