Thread: Mudfest Canyons

Mudfest Canyons

Went through Good Day Jim last week and it was a giant mudfest the whole way through. It was a blast, but I was glad I wasn't next door dealing with anything too difficult. Anyone have any good muddy canyon stories?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Buckskin Gulch after it flashes turns into a quagmire. I'm talking 2' or 3' of mud that is nearly impossible to slog through.

I also did Leprechaun once on the tail of it flashing. It was still flowing slightly. When we hit the final subway section we encounter quicksand that was 4' to 5' deep in spots. The really scary part was I had my two young children with me and they were only about 4' tall at the time.

Music Canyon is often a mud fest. When dry the canyon is very easy. When wet, the mud makes it much more difficult.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

A few years ago in the Roost, the day after the infamous "tuxedo man" rescue in Alcatraz, we renamed a popular canyon "Not Mudbender". You should be able to guess the real name. Slippery, gooey mud throughout made it a memorable day. In one section I decided to stem over the top, not willing to fight the mess on the ground. While I'm still up high, my buddy Jeff, who went low, says: "Uh, Todd, we've got a problem: I'm sinking!" As I hastily try to pull rope or webbing out of my pack (so I could lower it to him) his feet touched bottom. He was up to his armpits by then. The rest of our group followed me up high.

6. Likes ratagonia, TommyBoy liked this post