Thread: Willard Peak to Ben Lomond to North Ogden Divide

Willard Peak to Ben Lomond to North Ogden Divide

This was a ride I've been wanting to do for years, so as this summer threatens to end, I threw together some last minute plans to ride this.

Get somebody who loves you very much to shuttle you and a friend up to Willard Peak's Inspiration Point. Plan about 2 hours for the dirt road drive up. Watch out for ATVs flying past you and HEAD ON around blind corners. You may even want to have your phone ready for video around some of those corners, just in case.

But anyways, we had Shawn leave his truck at the North Ogden divide parking lot. Everything was a later start than we wanted, and I had underestimated just about everything on this ride. COLD! and very windy. And, I was really hoping to see the 2 herds of mountain goats, but there were hunters up there that probably scared them into hiding.

From Ben Lomond peak to the divide, it's 8 miles. Then just an estimate from Inspiration Point to Ben Lomond, 3-4 miles. There was still a bit of climbing to do, especially hauling the bikes up to the peak on some sketchy scramble with a bike on your shoulder.

But we made it, great ride, even though it was a beast. The views were great as you'll see in some of my sample footage, and there were some cool areas of exposure, which I love that stuff.

Here's the finished video,

And here are some quick features that didn't make the cut.

The shuttle!

The first climb, and that is Willard Peak by the way, taller than Ben Lomond, contrary to the other way around.

The proof

2. Likes devo_stevo, middlefork, tallsteve liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Good job! The ATV/UTV traffic on that road has discouraged me going up there for sometime.

Awesome. Fingers crossed the weather will cooperate and we will be up there on Saturday. Side note, supposedly there is a spring somewhere up there along that road between Grizzly Peak and Willard Basin. You know where that is?

Quote Originally Posted by neilether View Post
    Awesome. Fingers crossed the weather will cooperate and we will be up there on Saturday. Side note, supposedly there is a spring somewhere up there along that road between Grizzly Peak and Willard Basin. You know where that is?
    The spring is literally ON the road. There is a pipe sticking out of the rocks on the side of the road just before you get to the old forest service campground in Willard Basin. You can't miss it.

I haven't been up there in a couple of years, but the water is always cold, tastes great, and so far I've never had any stomach issues drinking from it. Have fun and good luck with the weather. it's changing fast and getting colder.

Yeah hopefully you'll have luck with the mountain goats, I was super bummed I couldn't get any footage of them. They also had a group of hunters after them too so they were on the move.

So it snowed up there today. It might be gone for the weekend, but for now there's some new white stuff on top of the mountains up there.

Willard Peak to Ben Lomond to North Ogden Divide

Surely there are lots of weather stations around the world in more extreme places than Ben Nevis, pretty amazing there cant be one permanently on the summit. They have one on top of the cairngorms dont they?