Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mexico Vacation

Mexico Vacation

So every year we do a week long vacation to Mexico in January. For the past 5 years we have always gone to the same all inclusive resort in Riviera Maya (Cancun). This year we're thinking about going somewhere different or at least a different resort. So... anyone have a good recommendation for an all inclusive Mexico resort in Cancun, Riviera May, Cabo or elsewhere?

Also, if anyone has been to Cabo in January how is it? How is the water temperature? For the most part we just like to swim, drink, party, snorkel and hang out on the beach and laugh about those in Utah shoveling snow off their driveway. And I don't really give a crap about "experiencing" the Mexican culture, Mostly just interested in experiencing the warm beach weather.

All thoughts and recommendations are appreciated, or if there is a place to avoid let me know.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Shane, having seen much of Mexico, I'd highly recommend Puerto Escondido. The weather is probably the warmest winter beach destination in Mexico. I'd recommend Puerto Escondido over Cancun any day. The only problem is, I don't think that there are any direct flights, though it's still not hard to get to (flights won't be as cheap as to Cancun, but comparable hotels and resorts will likely be. Some parts of ocean can sometimes be a little rough for snorkeling, but usually there are some great places. The water is always warm (current water temperature is 87!).

The water around Cabo tends to be cooler in the Pacific, especially as you go north along the peninsula and warmer in the Sea of Cortez/Gulf of California.

Also, if you go to Mexico every year, what about Belize or Costa Rica?

Grenada has the nicest beach (Grand Anse Beach) I have ever seen and is another place to look at. The sand is super soft and it's much more scenic and less crowded than Cancun. It's a real paradise. There is also great snorkeling and an underwater sculpture park.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Belize and Costa Rica are both high on my vacation list.

Direct flights are not a requirement, but they sure make things easier. One of the main reasons for flying into Cancun or Cabo is airfare is cheap. We can spend a week in Cancun (Riviera Maya) or Cabo and live like kings for under $1200 a person. That is total cost of everything (air, food, booze, transportation, suite). I'm taking the kids this years (ages 22 and 19) so cost is a little more important then usual. A couple hundred dollars one way or the other is usually not a big deal, but when you times it by 4 it starts to add up. Also the drug cartels are a bit of a problem in Mexico at the moment if you stray too far from the major tourist areas. My theory is the cartels leave the resorts alone because that is where/how they launder a lot of their money and they don't want to screw their cash flow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    My theory is the cartels leave the resorts alone because that is where/how they launder a lot of their money and they don't want to screw their cash flow up.
    So much for that theory....

https://www.voanews.com/a/mexico-say...n/3924395.html

http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/visi...near-mazatlan/
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Belize and Costa Rica are both high on my vacation list.

Direct flights are not a requirement, but they sure make things easier. One of the main reasons for flying into Cancun or Cabo is airfare is cheap. We can spend a week in Cancun (Riviera Maya) or Cabo and live like kings for under $1200 a person. That is total cost of everything (air, food, booze, transportation, suite). I'm taking the kids this years (ages 22 and 19) so cost is a little more important then usual. A couple hundred dollars one way or the other is usually not a big deal, but when you times it by 4 it starts to add up. Also the drug cartels are a bit of a problem in Mexico at the moment if you stray too far from the major tourist areas. My theory is the cartels leave the resorts alone because that is where/how they launder a lot of their money and they don't want to screw their cash flow up.
    You'll probably pay $500 to $800 RT to fly to Puerto Escondido, but check this yourself. That's pretty pricy IMHO. Places like Puerto Escondido aren't where the cartels are, but places like Acapulco have had problems. Puerto Escondido is definitely a resort area, but Lower key than places like Cancun.

Still, you probably don't want to walk any of the Mexican beaches at night, even in the tourists areas. Maybe the all inclusives are guarded.

I'd at least look into Costa Rica or Belize though. It usually doesn't cost much more to fly there than to fly to Mexico. Either destination is running about $550 RT for January. That's not that much more than Cancun or Cabo.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Have you looked at Puerto Penasco?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

No way in hell I'd do Mazatlan right now as it's a war zone, not to mention it's just an all around shit hole. Cancun and Cabo have so far avoided the drug wars for the most part and I hope it lasts.

I'm really looking for Cancun or Cabo all conclusive resort recommendations. The resorts are pretty secure as they are fenced and patrolled by gaurds, which keeps out any riff-raff.

My wife and I stayed at the Royal Solaris San Jose Del Cabo a few years ago and enjoyed it. It was in March so I couldn't speak to the water temperature in January.
    It was a lot more laid back than being in Cabo San Lucas.

10. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    A few years ago, Nick, my supervisor at work, saved up and he and his wife went on their dream vacation to Cancun. About 3 days into it, they went back to their hotel room and were met by local police and hotel authorities who were going through their luggage.

They just happened to find some "stolen property" and were cuffed and hauled off to the local jail (a living hell is how he described it) . His wife is diabetic and they wouldn't even allow her to take her meds with her as they were hauled off (was nearly life threating).

They were told that if they come up with $1000 each, they would drop the charges and would "forget" the whole thing. They didn't have the means to have the money wired, but they were able to contact the US embassy and a consulate negotiated with the local police and after they found out Nick was an active member of the National Guard they agreed to let them go after spending 2 full days there.

The consulate told them that this situation happens quite often, they target middle age American tourists that are more likely to have the means to pay their ransom as opposed to the spring breaker kids without a pot to piss in. They also know that if they do this too often, it will make the news in the US and people will be scared away.

I made the mistake of asking him how his vacation went when he got back.

You've probably already heard of situations like this happening, but I just wanted to pass this on in case you, or others, hadn't.

For the most part Mexico is a shit hole, I feel for the citizens as that country should enjoy a standard of living equal to the US, but their corruption holds them back.

I've had one scary moment in Mexico. As I was boarding my flight home I was pulled into a side room and strip searched and all my luggage was search. They never answered any of my questions, and I still have no clue what they were looking for or why me. They held my plane on the taxi way, drove me out in a Jeep and I climbed some external stairs. That was really weird and kind of scary.

For the most part Mexico is a shit hole
    25 years ago maybe, the country has become much more modern since then. There is a big difference now than when I started going 25 years ago. Pollution and litter problems are much better now and transportation is much more comfortable.

Most of the crime is in the border regions (especially Juarez) and scattered areas up north. Even Mexico City itself is much safer now.

Is Mexico as modern as the US? Not yet, but it is definitely not an undeveloped country and is modernizing at a very rapid pace. Mexico is more modern that the majority of the world.

So far, I haven't had any scary or negative experiences, except for taxi drivers trying to over change me because I am a gringo.

14. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    From a friend of mine who visits twice a year:

"On the Caribbean side a favorite place to be is Cozumel- beautiful beaches and snorkeling- downside is the resorts are a long way from town so you are stuck

Pacific Coast has become our favorite. Cabo is a bit too rich for our blood. We have settled in Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo. Ixtapa has the All Inclusive resorts and a huge beach-its open water so no snorkeling. Zihuatanejo is situated in a bay, so beaches (4 different beaches) are great for swimming and hanging out all day. 1 beach has decent snorkeling and you can also charter boat trips to snorkel. Zihua has lots of options for hotels, condos etc but I don't think any A/I. It is really inexpensive to eat and drink there or it is a short bus or cab ride from Ixtapa if you want to go A/I and still explore. Fishing is also amazing in Zihuatanejo and not expensive- about $250 to charter a panga boat for a full day of fishing (6a-2p)"

Rob

16. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    25 years ago maybe, the country has become much more modern since then. There is a big difference now than when I started going 25 years ago. Pollution and litter problems are much better now and transportation is much more comfortable.
    You realize that 25 years of which you speak of is exactly how long NAFTA has been in effect. Coincidence? I think not.

And yes, for the most part I consider a large part of Mexico to be a shit hole, but I also think the same of places like Detroit and Parts of Chicago so there is that.

Starting to plan for my next Mexico vacation. I'm thinking about Puerto Vallarta this year, anyone have any suggestions? We like all-inclusive resorts.

For the most part we just like to swim, drink, party, snorkel and hang out on the beach and laugh about those in Utah shoveling snow off their driveway. And we don't really give a crap about "experiencing" the Mexican culture, Mostly just interested in experiencing the warm beach weather.

Direct flights are a big bonus but not a requirement. Time is worth more to me then money when on vacation.

I'm also interested in any other suggestions. I'd never given Puerto Vallarta a thought until someone mentioned it to me a month ago and I started researching it and it looks interesting.

It has been quite a few years but I stayed at Velas Vallarta in Nuevo Vallarta. The rooms were pretty nice at the time.
    I enjoyed the more laid back vibe in Nuevo Vallarta as opposed to Puerto Vallarta proper.

And if you get tired of the all inclusive fare there were some great restaurants near the marina.

20. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    We stayed at the Sheraton Buganvilias Resort several years ago. It's probably nicer up by the marina but, we kinda liked being close to and within walking distance to the old part of town. It was fun and interesting to go wander the town and shops. The beach sand in PV pretty much sucks. It's course and rocky. Take good water shoes.
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    The beach sand in PV pretty much sucks. It's course and rocky. Take good water shoes.
    Thanks for the heads up on the sand. We're trying to decide between a resort near town where everything is close, or a resort about 10 miles north of town that is quiet and secluded. Also trying to decide between a big resort or one of the small boutique resorts. All have pro's and cons. The secluded resorts have private beaches so you don't get hassled all day by junk salesmen. Or I can pick a resort kind of in between like Middlefork mentioned.

First world problems....

Yeah, the junk salesmen got old and annoying. My company paid for us all to go (including spouses) so, I didn't have a choice in where we stayed. A private resort and beach is intriguing. I don't know. Pros and cons for each.
    Are we there yet?

I don't know how you guys can stay at these all inclusive resorts. I'd go out of my mind.

I get outta here in January and February. Usually it's the Hawaiian Islands...mostly the Big one. Fly in, pick up a rental car, and take off.

I'll have a room for the fist two nights, then it's traveling around, camping and whipping into an occasional BnB. Eat like a local.

I went to the tip of Baja last January for a week long kayak trip and to scope the place out...I may actually stay there 6-8 weeks this winter. A LOT cheaper than Hawaii, and it's nice and warm. You can get by not knowing much Spanish...all you need to pay attention to is "How many Peso's"?.

I've got to check out the camping prospects there. In Hawaii it's either private property, state campgrounds or national parks, period. There is zero public land.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?