Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: iPhone X

iPhone X

Let the flame fest ensue!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

$1000 bucks for that POS?!

Nope.

Android all day baby. That way I can have a cell phone AND avoid the guilt of taking bread out of my kids mouth's just so that I can look trendy.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Check out Acca's new outfit:

Name:  fanboi.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  546.8 KB

6. Likes jman liked this post
    I don't use an iPhone, I pee standing up.

8. Likes BruteForce liked this post
    Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    No iPhone(s) for me, EVER - but my youngest did ask for it!
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

I don't have an iPhone, but I am curious to hear what's wrong with it.

I was thinking of getting an iPhone next time because you can make free international calls worldwide if there is a 3G or 4G signal (which is getting much more common even in undeveloped countries).

I can do it through Facebook Messenger on my Samsung, but only to someone who is on Facebook and only with WiFi.

My employer pays for my cell phone (any one I want) and all charges, minus international calls, so getting them for free would be nice.

Is there any reason not to go with the iPhone?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    I don't have an iPhone, but I am curious to hear what's wrong with it.

I was thinking of getting an iPhone next time because you can make free international calls worldwide if there is a 3G or 4G signal (which is getting much more common even in undeveloped countries).

I can do it through Facebook Messenger on my Samsung, but only to someone who is on Facebook and only with WiFi.

My employer pays for my cell phone (any one I want) and all charges, minus international calls, so getting them for free would be nice.

Is there any reason not to go with the iPhone?

1. Let's start with price. The new iPhone cost a cool grand ~ yep $999.00 bucks. Seriously? Who's got that kind of money?

2. Ever tried to switch/repair a battery in an iPhone? It's impossible. You have to send it off to the manufacturer and have their exclusive Apple techs work on it -- that's all a cost that is born by the consumer. Have you checked into repair costs for Apple phones lately? It's insane. Android battery switches are a breeze - and dirt cheap.

3. Having an iPhone has surpassed just having a phone ~ it's now a culture. Many iPhone iFans will stand in long lines to drop ungodly amounts of cash on the newest iPhone -- not because they need it, but because they just have to look trendy with the latest Apple product. No thanks.

4. Proprietary software & hardware -- Apple intentionally makes all of their iProducts not friendly to any other device or platform. Anything you purchase on the iTunes store may only be played via Apple products. Apple devices may only be charged with Apple approved chargers, with Apple approved charging cords. I don't believe in that nonsense.

It's interesting -- my tech savvy 16 year old has recently made the switch from iPhone to Android. His first phone was an iPhone and he was caught up in all of the hype. But now he's singing a different tune. He's sick of the ridiculous culture surrounding the iPhone. Apple -- it's not so much a company as it is a cult.

Let me answer with some facts...

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    1. Let's start with price. The new iPhone cost a cool grand ~ yep $999.00 bucks. Seriously? Who's got that kind of money?

You don't have to buy the X, there are several options.

Name:  iPhone-Pricing.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  48.2 KB

2. Ever tried to switch/repair a battery in an iPhone? It's impossible. You have to send it off to the manufacturer and have their exclusive Apple techs work on it -- that's all a cost that is born by the consumer. Have you checked into repair costs for Apple phones lately? It's insane. Android battery switches are a breeze - and dirt cheap.

I have repaired several different iPhone models at home. It is not that difficult. Battery replacement is the easiest. I have lost count on the number of screens I have replaced. Have you heard of YouTube? There are hundreds of videos on how to do it.

If you are in a pinch you can use a 3rd party repair shop or an individual on KSL classifieds. I have used both. You don't have to go through Apple.

3. Having an iPhone has surpassed just having a phone ~ it's now a culture. Many iPhone iFans will stand in long lines to drop ungodly amounts of cash on the newest iPhone -- not because they need it, but because they just have to look trendy with the latest Apple product. No thanks.

To each his own. There are Android fan boys as well.

4. Proprietary software & hardware -- Apple intentionally makes all of their iProducts not friendly to any other device or platform. Anything you purchase on the iTunes store may only be played via Apple products. Apple devices may only be charged with Apple approved chargers, with Apple approved charging cords. I don't believe in that nonsense.

I buy all my iPhone chargers on Amazon. They have their own house brand and they work great.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...charger+amazon

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...C7HF4HCFEYEQH9

It's interesting -- my tech savvy 16 year old has recently made the switch from iPhone to Android. His first phone was an iPhone and he was caught up in all of the hype. But now he's singing a different tune. He's sick of the ridiculous culture surrounding the iPhone. Apple -- it's not so much a company as it is a cult.

Both my daughters switched to iPhone 7's from Android (Samsung S3) because their work would pay for the phones if they were Apple. Both daughters are constantly bitching about not having their Androids which they liked a lot better. I'll have to ask them what they liked better about Android. I do know the camera in their iPhone sucks compared to the one in my Samsung S7.

Now a good story.... My brother is an iPhone Fanboi (See Accadacca's picture). Anyhoo.... when my mother decided she was finally going to get a smartphone she asked my brother and I if she should get an Apple or Android. Instantly my brother launches into the iPhone Fanboi speech that is embedded in the brain of iPhone users about how great they are. I was tempted to argue the point but a light went on in my head and I simply replied "yup, the iPhone is probably best for you mom", Now the great part.... My 78 y/o mother is constantly calling my brother to ask him iPhone questions and how do you do this or why does my phone do that questions. My brother is constantly bitching my mother is bugging the crap out of him with smartphone questions.

#BulletDodged

14. Likes Sandstone Addiction, Taylor, gholt liked this post
    Pricey, but to each their own. I like the android open architecture though. Wow people actually pay their own cash for that phone.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I love my Samsung Galaxy S7 (the camera rocks!) and Android but, my company pays for my phone and cellular bill and our company is all Android. I don't really care what others use but, I really hate the snootiness from the iPhone users and my experience is there are far more snooty Apple users than snooty Android users. About a year ago I was up in the mountains or somewhere and a group asked me to take their photo. The dude hands me his iPhone. I stated that I have an Android and I wasn't sure how to snap the photo. Several of the iPhone fanboys said, pretty much in unison, "Well, there's your problem then". I'm a pretty laid-back, easy going and like-able guy (so I'm told) but, that ticked me off so, I basically said, you know what? If you're going to make fun of me because I don't have an iPhone then you can figure out out how to take your own photo. I set the phone down on the ground and walked off. I'm sure they thought I was a jerk but, I just didn't care.
    Are we there yet?

17. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    I've got a iPhone 5S. I've had it for 2 1/2 years and I like it. It works like it should. The battery life is great for me. It's been a solid, reliable phone. the camera does suck though. That's the biggest drawback to it in my mind.

When I replace it, I'll likely get another iPhone. I like the looks of the 8. I might go for that. It'll be a while though. I've got to wear out the current one.

All that being said. I don't really see a big difference between the two. It's all down to preference and what works for you.

I've had all the iPhone models and I get lots of compliments on my photos. If you have a newer model phone and you cant take a good photo, then it may not be the phone.

I'm the resident computer help desk with my family and I have had them buy all Apple products. I have found that I get FAR LESS calls then I used to when they had Windows and I can easily answer the questions when they arise. Win-Win for me.

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    I love my Samsung Galaxy S7 (the camera rocks!) and Android but, my company pays for my phone and cellular bill and our company is all Android. I don't really care what others use but, I really hate the snootiness from the iPhone users and my experience is there are far more snooty Apple users than snooty Android users. About a year ago I was up in the mountains or somewhere and a group asked me to take their photo. The dude hands me his iPhone. I stated that I have an Android and I wasn't sure how to snap the photo. Several of the iPhone fanboys said, pretty much in unison, "Well, there's your problem then". I'm a pretty laid-back, easy going and like-able guy (so I'm told) but, that ticked me off so, I basically said, you know what? If you're going to make fun of me because I don't have an iPhone then you can figure out out how to take your own photo. I set the phone down on the ground and walked off. I'm sure they thought I was a jerk but, I just didn't care.
    I would've taken a picture of my crotch and then launched it into the weeds

21. Likes gholt, tallsteve liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    I've had all the iPhone models and I get lots of compliments on my photos. If you have a newer model phone and you cant take a good photo, then it may not be the phone.

I'm the resident computer help desk with my family and I have had them buy all Apple products. I have found that I get FAR LESS calls then I used to when they had Windows and I can easily answer the questions when they arise. Win-Win for me.
    The Samsung S7 and S8 camera puts the iPhone 8's camera to shame, it's not even close, that is just a fact. The biggest difference is the quality of photo's and video in low light. I'm not saying the iPhone has a crappy camera, just saying it's not near the quality of the Samsung.

And YES, if you are the computer geek for the entire family I can understand you wanting them on iPhones as it would make your life much easier. But the latest Samsung Androids have really closed the gap with regards to software problems. Apples walled garden approach to software is both it's strength and weakness, great for the noob, sucks for a power user. I really don't know much about the other manufactures Android phones as I've only used Samsung. My kids had LG phones for a while and they were not nearly as good as the Samsung phones in numerous areas.

Ozzy Man Reviews iPhone X

Pre ordered my new 8 today... my old 5 has been more than rock solid with no reason to upgrade other then the deal they offered. Piad $650 two years ago for the 5 - they offered $630 for the trade in/trade up! That's less than a buck a month in depreciation... little buggers really held their value. New one should be even better!

Blog Entries
    At my current company I help manage the cell phones for our 4000+ employees. We have over 1300 cell phones for our employees. Over 1100 are iPhones and the remaining are on Samsung phones (S5 to S7).

I can say that we have far more problems with Samsung phones than with iPhones. Even those 200 users are what we call our "problem child". Samsung enterprise support SUCKS! iPhone on the other hand...soo easy.

And when it comes to physical support (like if someone breaks the screen, bends it, whatever), I can drive down to the Apple Store at City Creek and have it fixed within an hour.

Samsung phones? Well, first, there is no official Samsung stores in Salt Lake that fixes phones! Sure, there is the "kiosk" in a Best Busy for Samsung phones, but guess what they do - ship off your phone and give you a loaner phone for a few days. Ooohh..special! Even for a simple screen replacement, they ship it off to a repair facility. Or you could take it to "Bad Apple" or another 3rd party store and have them replace the glass. But guess how much they charge for a broken S7 screen...$299! We repaired one a month ago and had to wait 3 days for the "warehouse" to get more inventory before the repair even happened.

If I take a iPhone 7 broken screen without AppleCare (which is an extended warranty) to the Apple Store, guess how much it would cost to repair it? $139. With AppleCare? $29. Then on top of it, if Bad Apple replaces the glass on the Samsung S7, then that warranty is completely gone. Even if it was a day old phone. (Same goes with iPhone repairs though).

If Apple fixes the broken screen, then they still ensure that warranty. That's really good support.

Say what you want about Apple, but Apple's support is by far unbeatable. Hands down.
    Samsung support? Good luck finding someone, spend more, and have fun waiting a few extra days...

●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

26. Likes accadacca liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The Samsung S7 and S8 camera puts the iPhone 8's camera to shame, it's not even close, that is just a fact. The biggest difference is the quality of photo's and video in low light. I'm not saying the iPhone has a crappy camera, just saying it's not near the quality of the Samsung.

And YES, if you are the computer geek for the entire family I can understand you wanting them on iPhones as it would make your life much easier. But the latest Samsung Androids have really closed the gap with regards to software problems. Apples walled garden approach to software is both it's strength and weakness, great for the noob, sucks for a power user. I really don't know much about the other manufactures Android phones as I've only used Samsung. My kids had LG phones for a while and they were not nearly as good as the Samsung phones in numerous areas.
    How can you make this claim when no one has had a chance to hold an iPhone 8, much less compare photo quality to the s7 or s8? Seems to be the similar argument made about the elite nature of iPhone user, albeit in reverse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk