Thread: Anyone seen conditions in High Spur or Maidenwater Creek this summer?

Anyone seen conditions in High Spur or Maidenwater Creek this summer?

Hi,
    I may be a week or 2 early asking as monsoons & floods may not have finished, but at the end of this Sept and early October I planned to go to these two.

On High Spur just wondered if anyone knew how much water there is and how cold. Most reports and videos don't really seem to show water, but one outfitter a few years ago recommended wetsuits saying there could be bitterly cold pools by early October.

I've never read anyone's report on Maidenwater Creek from the highway down to Trachyte Creek except Kelsey's. Has anyone done this - wondered if there's much water to deal with and if there's any tricky downclimbs or any ropework for someone who is too novice to take much risk if not with anyone with more experience. From Kelsey's description I wasn't expecting any rappels & was hoping the only thing I'd need is a precautionary rope just in case

Thanks , Ross.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I haven't done High Spur, but I have done Lower Maidenwater many times. The only obstacle is a chockstone that comes and goes. Sometimes it is there and sometimes it is completely buried in gravel and you see no sign of it.

Kelsey's old books show a chest deep pool, but every time I have been there, the water has been knee deep, with the exception of one pool on one trip that was waist deep.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Kelsey's Lower maidenwater is outdated, which is the problem with guide books. This is much more current.

Lower Maidenwater
    http://climb-utah.com/Powell/maidl.htm

High Spur is a different animal. I've done it without getting my feet wet and I've done it when you have to swim, it just depends how long since the last rain. I never bring a wetsuit, but that's me.

High Spur
    http://climb-utah.com/Roost/highspur.htm

5. Likes kaniukr liked this post
    Shane, that is some good info, but the only thing I would add to that description is that the chockstone obstacle comes and goes. By mere coincidence, it has been there every other time that I have been to Lower Maidenwater, while every other time it has been missing. It isn't a serious obstacle to get down for most canyoneers most of the time, but it can be hard to get up. It can be tricky getting down when solo as well.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

7. Likes kaniukr, Iceaxe liked this post
    Thanks for the info both. Yes that chockstone was the obstacle I was wondering about from Kelsey's book, but he describes it as a slide, which made me think deeper water might make for a safer landing. So would it require a rope as you talk of "most canyoneers" if it's an obstacle. One of us has never canyoneered and one is a beginner who has always been with experienced people.

Good to know that although you say it can be hard to get up, if it's easy going after that with no known obstacle there shouldn't be a need to get up if we come round to Trail.

(As you both know the area well & Kelsey's book, can I throw in another question...about the 2nd & last rap in Gravel. Kelsey talks about rapping from a cedar tree at a 60m subway-like slot, and pictures the cave-like chamber that I've seen often in photos. As subway slots always sound enticing, it's not clear if that's the photo at the bottom of the rap by the pool, or the subway slot is above just before starting the rap?)

Gravel Canyon
    http://climb-utah.com/CM/gravel.htm

Perhaps you should consider investing in some better beta, or at least some beta that is more beginner friendly. Kelsey's books do pack a lot of information at a reasonable price, but they have also been the cause of more then one SAR, lack GPS waypoints, are confusing, and come with really shitty hand drawn maps.

10. Likes kaniukr liked this post
    Thanks Shane. You have a new subscriber as a thank you as much for past information as future. Ross