Thread: Howard pulls biggest point-spread upset in college football history

Howard pulls biggest point-spread upset in college football history

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I would say Liberty University beating Baylor must have ranked pretty high as well.

If you read the fine print this was the biggest POINT SPREAD victory, which really doesn't mean crap as the sports books pull games with huge spreads off the board so you can't beat them, which was the case with this game.

Here are some of the major upsets

https://herosports.com/news/fcs-foot...-james-madison

I heard if you bet $100 on Howard you would have won $55k.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    I heard if you bet $100 on Howard you would have won $55k.
    You heard wrong as that is not how football bets work. You bet the line (point spread) which in simple terms means you would have won $195 on a $100 bet if Howard covered the spread (lost by 44 or less). $5 disappears to cover the Vig (which is how the book gets paid).

And all that only happens if you could find someone to take the bet as all legit sports books remove games from the betting pool when the spread gets to crazy (plus or minus 25 points). The reason is most coaches will call off the dogs and play the third team once the game is put safely away.

Some games you can bet the "Money Line", which means you are betting on who actually wins or loses, these games usually come with odds. Many have guessed the odds would have been 250 to 1 on Howard beating UNLV, the only problem with this is not one sports book in the world offered a money line bet on the game. Any money line predictions are nothing but a guess because no one actually offered the bet.

Got it?

7. Likes rockgremlin, accadacca liked this post
    Biggest college football point-spread upsets Since 2007

Sept. 2, 2017: Howard (+45) beats UNLV 43-40
    Oct. 6, 2007: Stanford (+39) beats Southern California 24-23
    Sept. 22, 2007: Syracuse (+38.5) beats Louisville 38-35
    Sept. 1, 2012: Texas State (+36.5) beats Houston 30-13
    Sept. 2, 2017: Liberty (+35) beats Baylor 48-45
    Nov. 14, 2015: New Mexico (+31) beats Boise State 31-24
    Sept. 5, 2015: Portland State (+31) beats Washington State 24-17

Source: BetLabSports.com (via ESPN)

9. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    You heard wrong as that is not how football bets work. You bet the line (point spread) which in simple terms means you would have won $195 on a $100 bet if Howard covered the spread (lost by 44 or less). $5 disappears to cover the Vig (which is how the book gets paid).

And all that only happens if you could find someone to take the bet as all legit sports books remove games from the betting pool when the spread gets to crazy (plus or minus 25 points). The reason is most coaches will call off the dogs and play the third team once the game is put safely away.

Some games you can bet the "Money Line", which means you are betting on who actually wins or loses, these games usually come with odds. Many have guessed the odds would have been 250 to 1 on Howard beating UNLV, the only problem with this is not one sports book in the world offered a money line bet on the game. Any money line predictions are nothing but a guess because no one actually offered the bet.

Got it?

This is interesting, and kind of addresses a question I've been meaning to ask for a while now:

My team is scheduled to play a really easy cupcake. I know they will win. I'd like to place some money down and make a few bucks. Please direct me as to how I should proceed...

Ice - you should start a thread about this very topic, because I'm sure there are others out there that are curious. That way, if we have a dedicated thread, dumb folks like me can ask questions along the way...like -- just how many thousands should I place on Wisconsin against BYU? Etc...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

11. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post