Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Utah Cop illegally arrests Nurse for not giving patients blood sample

I didn't think they were trying to test the truck driver's blood either. It was the guy in the pursuit, right?

They really, REALLY wanted it to come back positive for something, and they wanted to test it urgently while the levels were still potent.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I didn't think they were trying to test the truck driver's blood either. It was the guy in the pursuit, right?

They really, REALLY wanted it to come back positive for something, and they wanted to test it urgently while the levels were still potent.
    Nope, this brewhaha is because they were trying to test the truck driver, AKA innocent bystander.

The driver of the car that was being chased by the cop was dead. That's the heart of the problem in that the truck driver did nothing wrong so there was no legal reason for him to submit.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Nope, this brewhaha is because they were trying to test the truck driver, AKA innocent bystander.

The driver of the car that was being chased by the cop was dead. That's the heart of the problem in that the truck driver did nothing wrong so there was no legal reason for him to submit.
    I heard a super early version of the events and had heard they'd wanted the truck driver's blood from the get go.

I'm guess that in a civil case, where the family of the deceased sues the po po for excessive force (or what ever), having an impaired driver in accident along with the fatality they were chasing waters down any case in court. Maybe enough...?

If a police chase wasn't in the mix, then, I'd think they'd get blood samples from all accident folks. I can guess what insurance would do if the accident was clearly someone's fault, but, the other driver was impaired.

At least, that's the only logic I can see in this. The PD involved in the accident wants to water down their potential culpability.

Gold Cross fires officer Jeff Payne's from their ambulance team.

"Although Jeff was not working for Gold Cross Ambulance at the time of the incident, we take his inappropriate remarks regarding patient transports seriously," the company said in a statement. "We acknowledge those concerned individuals who have contacted us regarding this incident and affirm our commitment to serving all members of the community with kindness and respect. We will continue to maintain our values of outstanding patient focused care, safety and the complete trust of the communities we serve."

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=45689348&nid=148

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    I heard a super early version of the events and had heard they'd wanted the truck driver's blood from the get go.

I'm guess that in a civil case, where the family of the deceased sues the po po for excessive force (or what ever), having an impaired driver in accident along with the fatality they were chasing waters down any case in court. Maybe enough...?

If a police chase wasn't in the mix, then, I'd think they'd get blood samples from all accident folks. I can guess what insurance would do if the accident was clearly someone's fault, but, the other driver was impaired.

At least, that's the only logic I can see in this. The PD involved in the accident wants to water down their potential culpability.
    The driver of the truck was unconscious and could not give consent to a blood draw. The only way the police could get a draw is if they had a warrant. I would guess that it would be the same for an insurance company.

In this case the nurse explained the rules/laws and the cop and apparently his supervisor tried intimidation instead of just getting a warrant. If a judge would have issued a warrant is another discussion altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post

I think this is 100% correct. Otherwise, why else would they want an innocent bystanders blood? Methinks they were worried that the high speed chase was justified or not. At some point you have to decide is the threat to the public during a high speed chase worth the catching the criminal? Maybe they were worried that in this case it wasn't worth it. but if the innocent bystander is drunk it's a bit of a get out of jail free card. Kinda like Tony Stewart.

I thought this was a pretty good write-up with some thought provoking questions and inferences.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily...al-privacy/amp
    Life is Good

9. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Interesting, so Payne was trying to get the blood of the Truck driver, who wasn't being pursued by the police?

Strange, I assumed because of the whole rush he was in, that it was the guy that ran from the police.

Hospital security should be kicked in the balls

12. Likes gholt liked this post
    Those security guard did not do their job.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    I thought this was a pretty good write-up with some thought provoking questions and inferences.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily...al-privacy/amp

"The truck driver, William Gray—who, in one of this story’s many byways, was a reserve police officer in Rigby, Idaho—staggered out of his semi, his clothes and body on fire. He was airlifted to the burn unit. One might wonder why the police wanted his blood, when he was, essentially, a bystander. The Utah police have said that it was meant for Gray’s protection, but Payne, in his report on the incident, obtained by the Salt Lake Tribune, said that the officers who were dealing with the crash wanted to know whether Gray had any “chemical substances” in his system. Another, troubling possibility could be that they were looking for something that might place some of the responsibility for the crash on Gray, in case he complained that the police had been reckless in their pursuit."

OK this sheds a little light on why Payne wanted that blood so bad.

If Gray, the innocent truck driver was intoxicated and ran into the assailant being chased by police, then the police would justify not feeling so bad about the fatality, because they didn't die from being chased by police, they died because another driver got involved while intoxicated.

So now I'm curious if a blood sample was EVER obtained. If so, I assume it was negative, or Payne would be shouting his justification of "the end justifies the means".

Any info on the Truck Driver's blood? While the nurse was in handcuffs, did Payne take this chance to snag a blood sample?

It is my understanding that blood was drawn by the hospital. It just would not be handed over without a warrant.
    It is pretty standard to draw blood with any serious injury or illness.

16. Likes gholt liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by middlefork View Post
    It is my understanding that blood was drawn by the hospital. It just would not be handed over without a warrant.
    It is pretty standard to draw blood with any serious injury or illness.
    I think it was Payne that wanted to draw the blood himself, as he's also an EMT on the side and draws blood regularly for different contracts. I believe he gets a few hundred bucks for each task, drawing blood for different warrants or whatever orders call for it.

Yes he wanted to draw the blood sample himself and he was trained to do so. I have no absolute proof but I doubt he even had a chance to get a needle out much less get the sample.
    And it wouldn't matter in the least as it would have been illegally obtained if he did.

Maybe a better question is who's going to pay the bills for the truck driver? What kind of insurance do you think the kid who ran had?

20. Likes gholt liked this post

Utah Cop illegally arrests Nurse for not giving patients blood sample

Officer Payne was disciplined for sexual harassment within the last few years.

Utah Cop illegally arrests Nurse for not giving patients blood sample

Should he get fired?

——

Detective makes final plea to keep his job as nurse-arrest case heads to chief’s office

The ultimate decision of whether or not Detective Jeff Payne loses his job will soon rest with Salt Lake City Police Chief Mike Brown.

Payne’s attorney, Greg Skordas, spoke with 2News after the internal affairs hearing Monday.

“I don’t think anybody is going to say that Jeff couldn’t have done things differently and there should be some sanction for that. I don’t think this warns major discipline, I don’t think it warrants termination by any means,” Skordas said. “I hope that people can keep this case in perspective and not let the media frenzy that surrounded it decide what the punishment should be.”

http://kutv.com/news/local/detective...-chiefs-office

I think so. He acted like a bully using his police force and arrest as a billy club to get what he wanted.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Salt Lake City Police Chief Mike Brown fired embattled police detective Jeff Payne on Tuesday and demoted Lt. James Tracy for their involvement in the July arrest of University Hospital nurse Alex Wubbels.
    https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46118645&ni...tenant-demoted

Next question... what took so long?

And the sad part is nothing would have happen to these cops and it would just be business as usual if not for the leaked video.