Thread: Tetons and Jackson Hole this weekend

Tetons and Jackson Hole this weekend

It's Man Trip time again, we're headed to the Tetons and Jackson Hole. We don't have a real itinerary yet, most likely some different day hikes from the Jenny Lake area. I haven't hiked much, maybe 1 trail with the kids there, what trails would you suggest?

We're a group of bigger fellas, so we won't be doing consecutive day hikes of 10 miles each, but I figure at least several miles a day.

We are also looking at renting a raft ourselves and running down the Snake, just downstream from Jackson, as I'm fairly familiar with that stretch. We've got a trailer so we can pack the raft around. If anybody has any suggestions on where to rent that for half a day, that would be great.

I'll also be taking my drone of course, but flying outside of the National Park. Can you think of any areas that would be great aerial footage just outside of the park? Preferably on the southern side. I'll fly it over a few of the river rafters too.

Cheers

EDIT: Video and photos here!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I don't know about trails but, you gotta eat breakfast at The Bunnery: https://bunnery.com/pages/breakfast-menu
    Are we there yet?

Eat prime rib at the Mangy Moose in Teton Village in Jackson Hole.

You should be able to get some great footage of some moose on the stretch of road between Moose and Teton Village. It is a narrow windy road with some turnouts. There is a ton of wildlife there in the marshes.
    Life is Good

Alpine Canyon might make some cool drone footage.

You can hike up Cascade Canyon from Jenny Lake. There are some nice waterfalls and then some nice scenery after that. You can make it to Lake Solitude in a day, but that's long.

If you want to get high in the mountains, but are feeling a bit lazy, you can ride the tram up and do some hikes from there. You can hike all the way down as well.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Alpine Canyon might make some cool drone footage.

You can hike up Cascade Canyon from Jenny Lake. There are some nice waterfalls and then some nice scenery after that. You can make it to Lake Solitude in a day, but that's long.

If you want to get high in the mountains, but are feeling a bit lazy, you can ride the tram up and do some hikes from there. You can hike all the way down as well.
    Are these areas outside of the National Park boundaries then?

Jenny Lake and Cascade Canyon is in the park boundary. Alpine Canyon is well outside the boundary and the tram is at Teton Village, which is just outside the park.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Alpine canyon is the rafting part of the Snake River outside the park.
    Cascade Canyon is inside Grand Teton park.
    The tram is outside the park.

Blog Entries
    Head up to Granite hot springs! It’s about 15 miles from Hoback junction but well worth it. You gotta pay to use the springs but it was like $5 or so a couple years ago. And be sure to catch the neighboring waterfall too. There is a bunch of camping in that area too but it was a very beautiful stretch of the road. Knowing your drone videos - you will thank me later if you head up there. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

A great trail is up Hanging Canyon. A bit less traveled. Steep, but, worth it for the scenery. If you have the juice, scramble up St. John. Great climb.

Avalanche Canyon doesn't see much traffic (except bears). Lake and waterfall up there are awesome, though. Kind of a burly hike for the distance (lot of downed timber as the "trail" isn't that maintained).

Both areas above in the park.

There's a spot on the Gros Ventre river that the kids (and, some of us adults...ha ha) cliff jump from. Probably drone friendly I'd think. Be great footage. Deep hole and a nice drop.

Tram up Rendezvous at Teton Village is pretty spendy, but, a nice hike down. You can hike up from the bottom via a couple routes too, and, take the tram down for free. If you book online, its a fair bit cheaper. If you get nice weather, its whopper views back to the north especially.

https://www.jacksonhole.com/summer-tram-rates.html

Also spendy, but, new is the via ferrata (guide required):

https://www.jacksonhole.com/via-ferrata-rates.html

Fun!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Also spendy, but, new is the via ferrata (guide required):

https://www.jacksonhole.com/via-ferrata-rates.html

Fun!
    Hmm...via Ferrata! Thanks for the heads up about that. Didn’t realize Tetons had one. Sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Thanks for the feedback everybody. We had a nice easy Mancation this year, just a couple of day hikes and hanging out at the campfire at night, a little slower paced than our usual trip, but it was a nice change.

We met a cool girl in the next camp that had recently walked across the country. http://www.lindsaywalks.com/

Of course, the campgrounds were packed, Jenny Lake was full up on Wednesday night so we headed up to Colter Bay. Did the Jenny Lake ferry, hikes, Mormon Row for a few photos, Schwabaker landing, or as we called it, Fuddruckers, and then stopped at Lunch Counter and Big Kahuna rapids on the Snake on the way home to shoot some video and photos.

Oh and if you want to see the hottest waitresses in town, go to the Merry Piglet mexican restaurant. Or it could have just been a bunch of guys that have slept in the same tent for a few nights to cloud our judgment, but I'd still stand by it.