Thread: Chaco Sole Types

Chaco Sole Types

I have owned 4 pairs of Chacos in the last 17 years. My first 3 pairs (starting back in 2000) have all lasted about 5 years with very heavy usage. I bought a pair last year and they already died (after about 7 months of usage). I contacted Chacos and they want me to pay for shipping and then be on the hook to pay $80 to have them repaired if they deem the problem was my fault instead of theirs. So I have been researching sandals and I haven't found any company on the market (including Chacos themselves) which matches the quality of Chacos from 10 years ago.

I read on one site if you go to http://www.chacos.com/US/en/customiz...al/22586M.html and order a custom pair of Chacos, they will be manufactured here in the U.S. and just as good as they used to be before being relocated to China.

I'm willing to the pay the custom C
    hacos cost of $130 (instead of $80 on Sierra Trading Post) if it really is the same quality that they used to have. My problem is that for soles they only list 3 types now:

• ChacoGrip: Made by us, for us. Our proprietary outsole design features non-marking rubber in men’s and women’s-specific tread designs. Traction on the toe provides excellent uphill and downhill grip, while the lug design provides footing on both dry and slippery surface. It is built to perform and built to last.
    • Colorado: Light weight, low profile sole that maximizes surface area for excellent traction in slick environments. Made in the USA.
    • Terreno: Our 4.5 mm of lug depth will give traction and durability on any trial. This sole is excellent for hiking trails and rocky terrain. Made in the USA.

Chaco says that Chacogrip is the best but
    they are cutting out Vibram to increase their profits, so they are likely biased for the ability to make more money. Does anyone know which sole is really best for hiking and water?
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nevermind. I just figured out that my pair which died after 7 months is Chacogrip. So I'm going with Terreno because I have liked Vibram soles in the past.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5