Thread: Solar Eclipse Madness

Solar Eclipse Madness

So what's all this hype about? I was in Idaho last week and saw viewing areas in the middle of nowhere with caution tape around them and portable restrooms.

I'll watch it online...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    So what's all this hype about? I was in Idaho last week and saw viewing areas in the middle of nowhere with caution tape around them and portable restrooms.

I'll watch it online...
    You could always watch a video of some guys motor bike touring to the Tetons or Montana...but...maybe there's something about gettin' out there and seeing this stuff in person?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    You could always watch a video of some guys motor bike touring to the Tetons or Montana...but...maybe there's something about gettin' out there and seeing this stuff in person?
    Oh snap.

Made the drive up from Cedar City to Salt Lake City last night, and I-15 was an absolute free for all. I started out going the speed limit, but after about 30 minutes of being passed like I was standing still, I sped up to match the flow of traffic....and then looked at my speedometer....95 mph. Went triple digits there for a little bit. But the thing is....everybody was going that fast. I couldn't believe it. It was like a cross between rush hour traffic and the Daytona 500. Some cars had "Eclipse or Bust" drawn on their windows. Many of them from California. And there was not ONE single cop out. Cops could have had a field day dishing out reckless driving tickets to out of staters, but alas they were nowhere to be seen.

Krazy...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Everybody was talking doomsday warning about the standstill traffic to be expected heading up into Idaho, but I read several facebook posts and saw photos where the road was completely open.

I had an offer to fly up to Idaho Falls with my buddy Dave in his airplane, skip all the traffic and avoid the ridiculous hotel fees, but I passed. I'm just gonna chill out at work with my solar eclipse glasses

6. Likes savanna3313 liked this post

Solar eclipses should happen at night. That way we won't hurt our eyes when we look at them.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

10. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    I thought they should have held the eclipse on Sunday so it didn't interfere with people's school and work.

12. Likes badwobot liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I thought they should have held the eclipse on Sunday so it didn't interfere with people's school and work.
    This too:

https://youtu.be/9K3MoxlCaJ4
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

This is amazing on so many levels. Our great leader, everyone.

I couldn't make this one because I just finished a three week vacation and have so much work to do, but I was in Mexico back in '91 to witness that one.

There are two things I've seen while looking up at the sky that completely blew my mind...one was the night skies at Big Bend in Texas and the other was that eclipse. Some people call it spiritual...it certainly has to be seen live to understand the feeling.

I won't miss the one six years from now in Texas.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by devo_stevo View Post
    This is amazing on so many levels. Our great leader, everyone.
    Oh heck...I did that a couple times today, too.

I was at Lake Powell for the "ring of fire" eclipse in '12 and still had the glasses from that one in my glove box. I shared them today with the elderly couple I'm working for right now. When it maxes out and someone else has them, you can't help but take a quick glance up there. Thru the glasses there was just a tiny sliver of sun, but with the naked eye you couldn't tell at all.

I'd bet the partial ones freaked out the ancient people even more than a total.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    Oh heck...I did that a couple times today, too.

I was at Lake Powell for the "ring of fire" eclipse in '12 and still had the glasses from that one in my glove box. I shared them today with the elderly couple I'm working for right now. When it maxes out and someone else has them, you can't help but take a quick glance up there. Thru the glasses there was just a tiny sliver of sun, but with the naked eye you couldn't tell at all.

I'd bet the partial ones freaked out the ancient people even more than a total.
    This is true. I probably did it to. It's still a funny picture. That is all.

18. Likes twotimer liked this post
    Ancient people wouldn't have noticed partial eclipses. You can make out zero details of what's going on until 99.5 percent of the sun is covered. If you've never seen a full eclipse then you can't understand what you're missing. Anything but a total eclipse is just looking at the sun.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

20. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Getting a better view of the eclipse...

Getting a better view of the eclipse...

bump that percentage from 93 to 93.000000002

We made a day trip to Idaho.

We started from Salem about 4:45am and arrived in Idaho Falls at about 9:15am. The traffic wasn't bad at all, mostly cruising about 80 mph. There was a couple of slowdowns towards Idaho Falls and Highway 20 branching off of I-15 looked like very heavy traffic. We opted to stay on I-15 and continue north to highway 33 about 20 miles north of Idaho Falls which was almost dead center in the middle of the path of totality. We traveled east on highway 33 about 8 miles from I-15 and found a dirt road heading south. We drove down the dirt road about a mile and found a spot to set up our chairs. It was about 10:15. Just perfect timing to see the first little notch taken out of the sun.

I must say seeing the total eclipse in person was WAY, WAY more than I expected. I almost bagged the trip because it is such a pain to drive so far for just a couple of minutes. But, we are so glad we did though. Truly a spiritual experience like I've never experienced before. Seeing the corona is unbelievable and I can't describe how awesome it was. Certainly an experience I'll never forget.

The temperature change, the 360 degree sunset and seeing planets/stars? during the event was amazing as well.

I'm hooked, I'm planning on being in Texas on April 8, 2024.

Name:  20170821_103714.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  70.0 KB

Name:  20170821_111130.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  96.2 KB

24. Likes accadacca, Iceaxe liked this post
    Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    I couldn't make this one because I just finished a three week vacation and have so much work to do, but I was in Mexico back in '91 to witness that one.

There are two things I've seen while looking up at the sky that completely blew my mind...one was the night skies at Big Bend in Texas and the other was that eclipse. Some people call it spiritual...it certainly has to be seen live to understand the feeling.

I won't miss the one six years from now in Texas.
    Ditto. My cousins have a ranch outside of Fredricksburg TX (NW of Austin) and it is in the direct path. I think I can hang on for another 7 years.

Never regret anything that made you smile!