Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8/17/17 - Zero Gravity Rescue

Blog Entries

8/17/17 - Zero Gravity Rescue

Two in one year! And yup, you guessed it - in the same location.

And thank you Emery County SAR!

EMERY COUNTY — A 24-year-old woman has been rescued after spending nearly 12 hours stuck in a narrow canyon in the San Rafael Desert, according to the Emery County Sheriff’s Office.

The woman, who is from Salt Lake County, became stuck in Zero Gravity Canyon Wednesday afternoon, and rescuers were not able to free her until 2 a.m. Thursday, officials said.

She was transported to a trauma center and was in an intensive care unit as of Thursday evening.

The woman’s husband called Emery County dispatch around 4:30 p.m. Wednesday after he had already been trying to free his wife from the canyon for about two hours.

An Emery County Search and Rescue rope team was dispatched to the scene, as well as one helicopter from the state Department of Public Safety and one from Classic Air in Vernal.

Rescuers at the scene said the woman was extremely distraught, in pain and having difficulty breathing, according to police.

Rescuers rigged various rope systems to try to pull the woman out. They also poured a gallon of dish soap on the woman, a technique that had been used during a previous rescue, police said.

One of the rescuers was on a rope in the canyon for almost seven hours.

The Emery County Sheriff’s Office said this is the second rescue of the summer in Zero Gravity Canyon, and the first was within several feet of the location of this rescue.
    https://www.ksl.com/?sid=45457329&ni...-desert-canyon
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Any idea how/where she was stuck.
    We were lucky on our trip to ZG where our friend got stuck: http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...hlight=gravity

Quote Originally Posted by nkanarik View Post
    Any idea how/where she was stuck.
    She was stuck at the exact same spot that everyone gets stuck, including your friend, which is the bombay right at the finish.

And since I'm the guy that named Zero Gravity I'll share this with you. How did Zero Gravity get it's name? The first time we canyoneered the slot I dropped through the exit bombay a little too early and became wedged between the canyon walls. I was stuck at my chest, but my feet were hanging down into space about 10-feet above the ground. I was suspended in air and looked like Wily E. Coyote running in space, or zero gravity. After my friends finished laughing and making fun of my predicament they helped me escape the trap.

5. Likes darhawk, nkanarik liked this post
    Size is not the issue when it comes to Zero-G and the chokestone is not the problem.... the deal is bigger canyoneers have to go over the top of a chokestone and drop through a bombay.... the problem is when bigger canyoneers try and drop through the bombay too early and become wedged....

Name:  ZeroGBombay.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  61.2 KB

7. Likes nkanarik liked this post
    I love how KSL called it a "Day Hike" and pointed out the location of the canyon. Hmm, I see more people stuck.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

9. Likes jman liked this post
    Zero Gravity SAR's could be virtually eliminated by installing a bolt 6' above the bombay chokestone. This would greatly improve the rappel angle so folks would not try and drop the bombay to early. A bolt there would also allow for easier self rescue because of the same improved angle advantage.

Normally I'm anti bolt, but I hate seeing so much SAR time and money spent when it could go to a better use.

11. Likes Stone, darhawk, Scott Card liked this post
    the problem is when bigger canyoneers try and drop through the bombay too early and become wedged....
    In this case, she tried to go under it. Here's what she wrote on FB:

I tried to stem up to the chokestone and couldn't get up so I thought I could try and fit through the lower section. By the time I realized I couldn't go forward, I was too wedged to get back and my feet were dangling so I couldn't get a good grip to get myself out. Luckily my husband was strong enough to get up to the chokestone and rappel down to get help. Scary stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Zero Gravity SAR's could be virtually eliminated by installing a bolt 6' above the bombay chokestone. This would greatly improve the rappel angle so folks would not try and drop the bombay to early. A bolt there would also allow for easier self rescue because of the same improved angle advantage.

Normally I'm anti bolt, but I hate seeing so much SAR time and money spent when it could go to a better use.
    I have heard (but haven't seen) that that there is now a bolt somewhere near the chockstone, but maybe it has either been chopped or is in a bad spot (?).
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

A while back SAR put in a bolt up above to speed up rescues, but it's of no use to canyoneers, unless something has recently changed.

A bolt above the chokestone would also help rescue anyone stuck going low.

14. Likes Scott P liked this post
    I just noticed KSL is using some of my Zero Gravity video in their rescue newscast.

Ropes and dish soap free woman wedged in slot canyon for 12 hours
    http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=45463512&nid=960

In the news broadcast there is also a picture of the woman that became stuck trying to go UNDER the chokestone. And I'm not saying this to be rude, but you have to be about half her size to go under the chokestone as under is for smurf's only.

I'm surprised search-and-rescue hasn't put a set in there just so they can lift people back out.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I just watched the video and I guess bolts aren't going to make any difference for canyoneers if you can't make it to the chockstone.
    It also seems like after a couple of hours that her saying it hurts when you lift her you would just lift her and stick her in the helicopter and fix the hurty later.

18. Likes Utah Canyoneer, Phavant liked this post

A group of us were there this past weekend, and there is a shiny new bolt about 5'-6' above the chock stone, we used it to great success. Still have to send someone up to get it rigged, but worked great for our group.

20. Likes darhawk, jman, rockgremlin, Iceaxe liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Studmonkey41 View Post
    A group of us were there this past weekend, and there is a shiny new bolt about 5'-6' above the chock stone, we used it to great success. Still have to send someone up to get it rigged, but worked great for our group.
    Got a picture of it by any chance?

I didn't, but I know one of our guys had a GoPro running, he may have captured it. I sent him a message and have him followup if he does.

23. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    Here is the picture. I belayed everyone using it only to protect the stemming and the bombay on the down climb. It will not help people keep from getting stuck if they climb/slide down too early...for that the bolt would need to be 10 feet further down canyon. In fact, the belay I was giving would only increase someone's chance of getting stuck. If they slipped, the rope would pull them back toward the choke stone. Luckily I was the only big guy in the group anyway, so it wouldn't have mattered had someone fallen. I down climbed it just fine, but that bombay could definitely twist an ankle of the less experienced or unsuspecting....

Name:  Sequence 01.Still0089.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  68.8 KB

25. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    That looks like the chockstone down below you? Does that help you Rappel or will that just swing you under the chockstone if your a big feller?

How old is the picture? I'm told the new just installed bolt is on the left looking down canyon, 5' above and just slightly downstream of the chokestone.

This looks like one of the two bolts that was installed by SAR a while ago.

Ice axe, The picture is 4 days old. There was one pulled bolt further down canyon. A better place to rappel from, but she gone.
    It is, however, in the perfect place to pull someone up and back if they attempted the low route and got stuck....like that would ever happen

Mark, that is the chokestone below and 10 feet downcanyon from me. It helps a little with the rap, especially for smaller people. But a guy my size needs to be 5 feet further down canyon than the chokestone in order to easily fit down to the Bombay.

29. Likes jman, ratagonia, Iceaxe liked this post

Hmmm. Sounds like a bolt is needed but perhaps one in a better place. I don't know the first thing about installing bolts, but know that spot somewhat and am happy to help if we want to do a more thorough evaluation of where to stick a bolt. After the success of a much better bolt placement at the first drop in Cassidy, I'm a fan of figuring this out well, especially if it can help avoid SAR.