Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First World Problems

Non-ethanol is a ton better for the older cars just I was just trying to make the point that most of it is only 88 in this state. I'll ask my distributor if shell has non-ethanol 91 but I doubt they do. From what I understand it's cost-prohibitive to make it because they're already refining 88 octane fuel and then they're just adding the ethanol to get the 91 to make premium up to 91 without the ethanol would take a whole nother refining process very pricey.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Back to first world problems there's a chocolate cinnamon roll in the kitchen and its 11:34 at night and I really want to eat it.

A moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips.

So we got way off track here obviously but since we're discussing Fuel and ethanol here's another little tidbit that's interesting. Trump has toyed with removing ethanol from fuel is the word I hear when I was at a Chevron meeting. But the refining capacity nation wide to make up that 10%.

Adding ethanol to fuel is one of the most stupid mandates of all time. Taxpayers are forced to subsidize corn farmers and the ethanol industry.

Now I have a question, is 87 octane gas really 84 octane pure gas with ethanol added to up the octane or is there a high probability 87 octane contains less ethanol or is perhaps pure gas?

My first world problem:

I am tired and drained. I am not as young as I used to be and I'm starting to get burned out. I do not work as many hours as I used to, but it's still draining me. I've had one easy week where I didn't work much (only 44 hours) in the last five. My last full day off was August 5 and my next one will be September 3.

Name:  time.JPG
Views: 148
Size:  25.1 KB

It was a hard week.

We have six months of work to do left before it snows. It's already snowing.

Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

8. Likes moab mark liked this post
    If you make $32,400 a year you are in the top 1% of income earners world wide.

If you have a total net worth of $770,000 you are in the top 1% of the richest people living on the planet.

Anyhoo... It shows just how lucky you are not to be living in some 3rd world shit hole.

http://www.investopedia.com/articles...cent-world.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    If you make $32,400 a year you are in the top 1% of income earners world wide.

If you have a total net worth of $770,000 you are in the top 1% of the richest people living on the planet.

Anyhoo... It shows just how lucky you are not to be living in some 3rd world shit hole.

http://www.investopedia.com/articles...cent-world.asp
    Yes. I have been to 50 countries, the majority of which are developing and undeveloped.

I can't say that all of the were sh** holes because I have been to a lot of poor countries where the people are still friendly and happy.

I even dream of retiring in Nepal (parts of which might be considered a sh** hole) some day, despite all their challenges.

PS, this is just a friendly note, rather than criticism, but the term 3rd world country is obsolete. It was a political term for countries that weren't allies of either the United States or the Soviet Union (which doesn't exist any more). Although most of these countries were poor, there were 3rd world countries that were very rich as well.

Now days, it's more accurate to use the terms developed, developing, and undeveloped to categorise countries by economic status.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Not only does the Vette get poor mileage, but it doesn't run on regular pump gas. It has to have ethanol free gas of 91 octane or better, which means if I need gas in Wendover I have to head to the airport for aviation fuel. I can buy Pure Gas at a station in Lake Point (Stansbury), which with luck should get me to Wendover and back to Lake Point.
    Does your Vette use leaded or unleaded (leaving the ethanol aside for the moment). If you nip over to Wendover for aviation fuel, they may only have 100LL (100 octane low lead...and that's a misnomer; it has more lead than any motor gasoline ever produced).

What you may need is 91UL (the UL means unleaded) which is 91 octane made from 100LL, but when they take the TEL out, it reduces the octane to 91. I doubt if Wendover has 91UL (I landed there in May 2016; the day before I met up with Justin of this Parish at Ogden, and I didn't see any 91UL at Wendover).

But 91UL might be worth investigating for your Corvette; it has no ethanol or lead.

HTH,
    Rob

Leaded fuel is not an issue for the Corvette as that is what it was originally built to run on. Also since it has no catalytic converter to clog up leaded is not an issue. Lots of classic car guys run aviation fuel just because it's leaded an they need it to make their valves last. A lot of guys mix pump gas with aviation 50/50, it just depends on what you engine requires.

Adding ethanol to fuel is one of the most stupid mandates of all time. Taxpayers are forced to subsidize corn farmers and the ethanol industry.

Now I have a question, is 87 octane gas really 84 octane pure gas with ethanol added to up the octane or is there a high probability 87 octane contains less ethanol or is perhaps pure gas?
    Ethanol is supposed to be 10% of the fuel. Which the ethanol is an octane booster I guess so in theory it would be a little smaller percentage of the octane for each grade but it's basically 10% of each fuel. If you read the decal at every station it says up to 10% so basically I got no clue.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Ethanol is supposed to be 10% of the fuel. Which the ethanol is an octane booster I guess so in theory it would be a little smaller percentage of the octane for each grade but it's basically 10% of each fuel. If you read the decal at every station it says up to 10% so basically I got no clue.

From my rep at Kellerstrass.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    From my rep at Kellerstrass.

Second part

Thanks for the education on fuel, this actually clears up a few things.

FWIW I think the sticker on the pump says MAY contain up to 10% ethanol, which is why I asked about 87 octane.

If I learn any more I'll let you know.

My first world problem from yesterday. It was all going well till the footpegs dug in and then it all came to an abrupt stop.

19. Likes jman liked this post
    Thanks for the education on fuel, this actually clears up a few things.

FWIW I think the sticker on the pump says MAY contain up to 10% ethanol, which is why I asked about 87 octane.
    Okay so since we're way off Target already. If you really want to know the scary thing about ethanol in the fuel we used to all have water in our tanks that we had to have pumped out about once a year. Condensation Etc well ethanol absorbs water because of that we are selling you the water. Yes we have filters that won't let a certain Micron of water go through but ethanol breaks it down so small that actually it is getting sold. Haven't had to pump my tanks since ethanol came out. Shouldn't be telling you all this but what the hell. As most of you already know it eats the living snot out of the rubber fuel hose that wasn't made for ethanol. It is very abusive stuff.

Final one.

I didn't know Tesoro was refining clear.

The bad part about the water in ethanol is it separates back out when it sits, this isn't a problem with a daily driver but it causes havoc in classics that often sit for several months between use. Ethanol sucks :-)