Thread: Luca of RopeWiki

Blog Entries

Luca of RopeWiki

Just heard from a canyoneering friend in Cali that there was an accident in the mountains that claimed Luca. He was a seldom visitor here at Bogley @luca and member at Canyon Collective.

He founded Ropewiki, published a bunch of first descents and encouraged (and sometimes aggressively!) others to explore and share their canyoneering adventures and routes.

If I hear any more information or if you know anything else to contribute, please feel free to share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bummer.

Any specifics on the accident?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Bummer.

Any specifics on the accident?
    I’ve asked around and no responses.

●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    report from a friend:

Luca drowned while crossing the Kings River (California Sierra Nevada), he was using a technique which is currently being taught to take a guide rope to the other side, unfortunately as we now know the method is severely flawed as the pressure of the rope caught in the current dragged him under,

7. Likes badwobot, jman, ddavis, rockgremlin liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    report from a friend:

Luca drowned while crossing the Kings River (California Sierra Nevada), he was using a technique which is currently being taught to take a guide rope to the other side, unfortunately as we now know the method is severely flawed as the pressure of the rope caught in the current dragged him under,

Thanks Tom for the update.

He will be missed. :(

"SEND IT, BRO!!"

Thanks for the update.

11. Likes jman liked this post
    Thanks for the detailed report as it cleared up some questions I had.

That's a sad story.

I'm curious if anybody knows this river, is it common with river runners, kayaks and rafts? If so, I'm wondering what would happen if a raft came down river and snagged that rope, or if the rope came up over the raft and scooped everybody off of the raft.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    That's a sad story.

I'm curious if anybody knows this river, is it common with river runners, kayaks and rafts? If so, I'm wondering what would happen if a raft came down river and snagged that rope, or if the rope came up over the raft and scooped everybody off of the raft.
    Nothing good.
    It is common with river runners to post someone well upstream to warn anyone else coming down that there are ropes in the water so they can pull out before encountering them.
    Rafters would be more affected than kayaks depending on the situation.
    Bummer sad situation for all.