Thread: pull cords - 6mm vs 550 paracord?

pull cords - 6mm vs 550 paracord?

Let's talk pull cords. I'm relatively new at this so I'm still learning. I can buy 200' of 550 paracord for $22.99 at http://www.paracordplanet.com or I can buy 200' of 6mm cord for $79.95 at http://www.store.canyoneeringusa.com.

I want to do things the right way, but why would I pay $57 more dollars for the 6 mil? How is this "better"? Besides saving money, the 550 weighs less too.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sometimes while pulling over edges, the pull cord will take a bit of a beating just as a rope would. It needs to have at least some degree of ability to survive this beating and pull down your rope. Just a thought.

I want the ability to rappel on my pull chord in an emergency. I've rappeled on 6mm before, but no way would I chance 550 paracord.

In additiom 550 is too stretchy for my tastes. It's like having a rubber band attached to your rope and that can make getting your ropes to pull a real problem.

YMMV

5. Likes summitseeker, moab mark, dougrz, Scott P liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    I find myself using pull cord less and less, these days. Only in very specific instances, where it has big benefits. It is a good technique to know, to understand and to use occasionally, but put me in the crowd that thinks pull cords are over-used. I prefer inviting a youth along who is strong enough to carry all the rope. And carrying real rope. So much more useful.

Perhaps the biggest exception is when using advanced techniques like FiddleSticking, but again, these are only used on certain KINDS of canyons, and not popular / traderoute canyons (mostly).

Since your question, Jushyd, shows that you are new to the sport, I would suggest NOT buying a pull cord until you actually need it. you hopefully understand how the whole biner-block single strand thing works, so you have that technique in your pocket to use where it makes sense. But you would do better to use real rope for, say, your first 100 canyons, then decide whether you really need a pull cord, and how often.

Tom

ps. and when you do, please purchase MY pull cord, which is DESIGNED for canyoneering use. Shane and Mcweyen have made the prime arguments above. Although I think it fair to point out, in 17 years, I have only rappelled on the pull cord 3 times.

I agree also. I have eliminated all of my pull cords except for the small 40' and 60' ropes because they pack small and are very useful working ropes and stay tied together in the smallest rope bag and my 200' which gets used maybe once a year for specific areas.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    I find myself using pull cord less and less, these days. Only in very specific instances, where it has big benefits. It is a good technique to know, to understand and to use occasionally, but put me in the crowd that thinks pull cords are over-used. I prefer inviting a youth along who is strong enough to carry all the rope. And carrying real rope. So much more useful.

Perhaps the biggest exception is when using advanced techniques like FiddleSticking, but again, these are only used on certain KINDS of canyons, and not popular / traderoute canyons (mostly).

Since your question, Jushyd, shows that you are new to the sport, I would suggest NOT buying a pull cord until you actually need it. you hopefully understand how the whole biner-block single strand thing works, so you have that technique in your pocket to use where it makes sense. But you would do better to use real rope for, say, your first 100 canyons, then decide whether you really need a pull cord, and how often.

Tom

ps. and when you do, please purchase MY pull cord, which is DESIGNED for canyoneering use. Shane and Mcweyen have made the prime arguments above. Although I think it fair to point out, in 17 years, I have only rappelled on the pull cord 3 times.
    You can invite me anytime to carry the rope Tom 😉.

I had this discussion earlier this week. Why do I always carry the longest rope. I came to the solution that it keeps me I'm better shape. I could definitely use the exercise lol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

10. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    A 6mm pull cord doesn't save much weight if you are already using an 8mm rappel rope. Might as well just go with 2x the length 8mm rope. For a 300 ft rappel, I'd take the pull cord though!

6mm pull cord saves you just over 50% in weight compared to 8mm rope . That's a pretty big number if you are a pair that relies on light and fast to tackle big projects.

13. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    6mm pull cord saves you just over 50% in weight compared to 8mm rope . That's a pretty big number if you are a pair that relies on light and fast to tackle big projects.
    Wow that's a lot more than I would have thought! Must be that r^2 in pi*r^2.

I just rappel off 550 cord & say a prayer before 😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by dakotabelliston View Post
    I just rappel off 550 cord & say a prayer before

17. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Hahaha! You have much better faith than I do! I bought a spool of para cord from Home Depot thinking I'd use it for emergencies. As I inspected it, I noticed there are flaws every 30 ft or so - not confidence inspiring! So far I've used it to hold in a loose trailer light plug. It was good to have the tail lights working that night . . .

19. Likes ratagonia, 2065toyota, jman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyon_Cal View Post
    Hahaha! You have much better faith than I do! I bought a spool of para cord from Home Depot thinking I'd use it for emergencies. As I inspected it, I noticed there are flaws every 30 ft or so - not confidence inspiring! So far I've used it to hold in a loose trailer light plug. It was good to have the tail lights working that night . . .
    Makes a pretty good emergency shoelace.

21. Likes Canyon_Cal, ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Also packs alot smaller.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk