Thread: Spooky Slot Canyon vandalism strikes nerve with local hikers

Spooky Slot Canyon vandalism strikes nerve with local hikers

Please spread the word...this is ridiculous!

Posted by Phill Monson

"Rant warning: "We are trying to fight it, but it's just constant now." Those were the words of the ranger when I notified the contact station about the pervasive graffiti in Spooky Slot Canyon- a sense of defeat and sadness in her voice.I was literally dumbstruck and angered at the amount of Instagram handles, "poems" and jibberish carved into these sacred walls. Beyond that, there was littler along the trail including baggies of human waste. I'm lost for words at the way our public lands are being treated. What more, people are showing up vastly underprepared for the conditions and terrain. This isn't "modern day petroglyphs," this selfish, immature vandalism. Parents, please teach your children leave no trace. Instagramers, I beg of you to think of more than yourselves and stop destroying places trying to get followers. Leave it better than you found it, It shouldn't be this hard. As the Lorax said "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." #protectthewild #leavenotrace

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Which is why trailheads are re-established miles away from the good stuff, and 4WD routes blocked. Its harder on old farts like me, but there is really no other way do deal with it.

4. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    It amazes me how much of a mess people make when they go on short walks.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Blog Entries

Spooky Slot Canyon vandalism strikes nerve with local hikers

Guaranteed these are not the outdoorsy types. These are the people whose friends bring them along, who don’t have much outdoor experience but their friends promised them a “good time”, and now have a few minutes to kill - so why not?

Church groups, Boy Scouts, youth groups, etc. that’s where these spring from typically.

A bunch of hardcore canyoneers, hikers, backpackers - never.

Intermediates in these same sports - never think of it.

Even beginners have *some* level of respect and don’t do this.

But the ones who drag their feet, the ones who don’t want to be there but are there because their parents “forced them”, etc. These are the sort of types who do this. They get bored on these hikes because it’s too long, too boring, too hot, etc. and they want to spice it up a bit. Idle hands...

Same thing applies to rock cairns which are found all over Arches and Angels Landing now.

Thankfully those are easily destroyed/dismantled and are so much fun to kick down..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

A few years ago, we found this ammo can along the trail to the Dry Fork slots full of note pads and writing utensils for the a-holes that just had to leave their name for others to see. Apparently that wasn't good enough.

Name:  DSCF4585 (1024x768).jpg
Views: 336
Size:  108.3 KB

At least that is relatively harmless (a bit like finding the Bogley stash )

Yesterday we found graffiti in the final narrows section of Fat Man's Misery (of all places). It was erased with sand and spit. Sorry, no pix - the erasers acted too quickly for the photographers.

10. Likes Sandstone Addiction, jman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
    At least that is relatively harmless (a bit like finding the Bogley stash )
    It was placed there by the BLM. If you look close, you can see a chain attaching it to a deadman buried in the sand.