Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brian Head Fire Currently Largest in the U.S.

Brian Head Fire Currently Largest in the U.S.

Hey look!! It's the asshat that created this mess! Well, on the bright side, he doesn't have any weeds in his yard now. So thank God for that.

Name:  1589_85094_v5.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  563.6 KB

As of Saturday, June 24, it's burned close to 40,000 acres and is only 5% contained.

Any bets as to when it will be completely contained? With no end in sight to the dry windy conditions, I'm predicting full containment at around mid-July.

Projected burned acreage: 190,000

Projected cost: $100,000,000

That weed burning dickhead deserves jail time for this IMO.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

2. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Is that really the dude? I know it was a guy burning weeds but did somebody really snap a photo of the guy?

I've been reading on other message boards about how we should just forgive the poor guy who started this fire. It was an honest mistake.

Make no mistake...what he did is almost certainly prosecutable as third degree felony arson.

I've heard stories from some of the locals here in Cedar about how there are ranchers who weren't allowed to go up and retrieve their livestock and so their horses were burned alive when their stables were set ablaze by the fire.

"Oops, sorry for killing your horses. It was an honest mistake."

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    The smoke from this fire can be seen and smelled as far south as Las Vegas. Mesquite and the Virgin River Gorge were thick of smoke this morning while I was heading home from Vegas.

The view from I-15:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

This morning the smoke had settled into Cedar City so thick that you couldn't see the mountains to the west if you were standing in town. It resembled the Salt Lake valley in the thick of the January inversion.

Another glorious feature is that EVERYTHING smells like a campfire. The smell is everywhere - in your hair, in your clothes, even everything in your house smells like a campfire, all the time. It's tempting to run the laundry machine nonstop to get the smell out, but I'd just have to run everything again once I took it out of the washer cuz the smell is inescapable. It's pretty awful.

"When you turn the forest service over to the bird and bunny lovers and the tree huggers and the rock lickers we turned our history over," said Rep. Mike Noel, R-73.

11. Likes devo_stevo, rockgremlin liked this post
    LOL!! Omigosh, I can't believe he would say that out loud to a national audience. I mean, he's got a damn good point, but wow...way to polarize the issue!

Lmao..."where's the friends of Dixie now? Where's the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance now?!"

Drinking lattes in Colorado, probably.

https://suwa.org/about-suwa-2/suwa-board-of-directors/

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    And I think he was spot-on with his commentary. "Rock Lickers".. LOL!
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

14. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Why question where SUWA is? Fire didn't start in a wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by erial View Post
    Just pointing out SUWA purports to be so concerned for Southern Utah, but when a fire breaks out in the area that they so vehemently protect they're nowhere to be seen. Especially a fire that many claim has been exacerbated by practices that SUWA fought to enact (no harvesting deadwood).

Quote Originally Posted by erial View Post
    But the fire is raging uncontrollably because of how our wilderness has been managed the past 30 years, which is why SUWA aka rock lickers (tm) was brought into question.

Did SUWA take over management of federal lands and I missed it? I certainly don't agree with everything SUWA fights for, but to try to scapegoat them for every mismanagement mistake made over the past 30 years is a bit of a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Logging saves forests.

Fun fact: Contrary to the doomsday scenarios the media loves to portray, more trees/forests exist in the U.S. today than 100 years ago.

https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/wi...s-ago-its-true

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Fun fact: Contrary to the doomsday scenarios the media loves to portray, more trees/forests exist in the U.S. today than 100 years ago.

https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/wi...s-ago-its-true
    rock, as you know forests aren't simply about numbers of trees (and replanting with monocultures has severely diminished biodiversity that trees rely on for adaptation).

the report (from 2000) that your article (from 2011) is based on has a lot of interesting information, but a couple points quoted from it

• After two centuries of decline, the area of US forestland stabilized in about 1920 and has since increased slightly. The forest area of the US is about two-thirds what it was in 1600.

• The area consumed by wildfire each year has fallen 90 percent; it was between eight and twenty million hectares (20-50 million acres) in the early 1900s and is between one and two million hectares (2-5 million acres) today.

• Recreational use on national forests and other public and private forest lands has increased manyfold.

• American society in the 20th century has changed from rural and agrarian to urban and industrialized. This has caused a shift in the mix of uses and values the public seeks from its forests (particularly its pubic forests). Increased demands for recreation and protection of biodiversity are driving forest management. This has caused timber harvest from federal lands to decline by more than 60 percent since 1990.
    http://www.fao.org/docrep/meeting/x4995e.htm

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    Did SUWA take over management of federal lands and I missed it?
    In an indirect way YES, and it's not just SUWA, but all the different rock licker (tm) groups. The environmental groups have gained a strong voice inside our government in recent years that has had a major impact on how our forests and wilderness is managed, some of those management practices are having unintended consequences.

Rock Lickers...