Thread: The Wave Coyote Buttes North

The Wave Coyote Buttes North

Been trying to get that permit for several years. Was pretty excited a few months ago when getting the email that I had finally "won" a permit. We got to wire pass trailhead about 8:15am There was 10 or less cars there, most were overnighters it appeared. headed out, I've been to wire pass before so I was familiar with the route up until the turn that goes up the hill. headed up the hill on the "wave" trail. the trail is pretty obvious in the sand, once you get up on the small saddle its a bit trickier. There are a few signs out there, not sure if these were recently added or not, but a couple up until about the 2 mile mark. After the twin buttes, went right a bit, found some cool formations and lots of foot prints so I thought oh this must go back around. It didn't. We back tracked and got back on course. The map with photos that you get with your permit is really helpful. We also found another couple that was on their way out too at this point. Once crossing the big sandy wash, its a steep sandy climb up to the wave. You can see the opening to the Wave from here.
    There was another couple at the wave, they were already headed back, early risers... It was us and the other couple that we ran into on the hike out, for quite a while. We ate our lunch, relaxed, climbed up above the wave, looked at the arch from below. It was pretty cool out there. Just as we were leaving, a few more people were just arriving, and we passed a few more groups on the way out. I counted 18 including us, so the last 2 people for the day must have wanted an evening hike.
    The hike it self is nice, the sand makes things interesting, but its nice. I had studied lots of map, and the photo one they give you is pretty helpful. We did have a detour on the way out so I logged 4.4 miles out, but the way back was right at 2.98. We lucked out on the weather, it was cloudy and for the most part, the sun was behind the clouds, the times when it peeked out, it was intense. I think May is the latest I would want to do this hike, June-Aug has to be insane out there. 2 thumbs up for this one, can't wait to go back!

2. Likes Glenn liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Last edited by cw50must; 06-21-2017 at 05:45 PM. Reason: link

Here are the pictures, hopefully I can figure out how to link a few individual ones.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/151743914@N07/4d8n50

7. Likes Glenn, Sandstone Addiction liked this post

9. Likes Glenn, Sandstone Addiction liked this post

11. Likes Glenn, Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Great pictures!

Rob

13. Likes cw50must liked this post
    Amazing the changes in 10 years. In 2006, I got a walk up pass for the next day. One of the great desert southwest sights.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

15. Likes cw50must liked this post