Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Invasion of the e-bikes

oh wow. I wonder if there's a subconscious effort to brake more, thinking that if they don't, the motor could go all Maximum Overdrive on them and take them for a wild ride if they don't ride the brake.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Draper has begun posting all the trails in Corner Canyon.

4. Likes accadacca liked this post
    ^^^^^^Haha!

It makes sense to me that e-bikes would be slower on the downhill sections.

I bought a Raleigh commuter ebike to get to and from work on my hilly and flat commute. It provides assist IF u pdal and only up to 20 mph. Its a good bike and better with the assist helping me get up the hills,
    I am 65 yrs, this thing makes me feel young again. I am enjoying the commute much more than I did on my 650 cc motorcycle.

the electric drivetrain is by Shimano

I've been able to demo e-bikes a couple of times up AF Canyon in the last year. What Neil's buddy says about being slower on the downhill is true. I'm much faster downhill on my hardtail vs. the full suspension e-bike. The e-bike is sluggish and just can't be whipped around. And, no, they don't do any trail damage on the uphill. I don't have any problem whatsoever with them being on trails designated for motorized use and I can see myself getting one in another 8-10 years when I'm in my mid-sixties and can't pedal the steep, rugged trails anymore that I enjoy now.
    Are we there yet?

Funny thing is I think Strava might eventually be the death of ebikes in many areas. Nothing seems to pisses serious MTB riders off move then an ebike trashing all the local records. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Funny thing is I think Strava might eventually be the death of ebikes in many areas. Nothing seems to pisses serious MTB riders off move then an ebike trashing all the local records. YMMV
    I firmly believe that this, right here, is the main cause of the ebike hate, somebody else on a bike that is faster. Who friggin' cares. I've never been in it for speed, that's probably my bias right there. I'm always stopping to shoot photos and set up video equipment. Then there are the other jackasses that we invite to ride as a group and have fun and talk, but they've got some personal record to improve so they just take off.

I'm not in it for the exercise, I'm not in it to find my purpose in life, and I'm not in it for the spandex. These are also the guys that will ride the trails when muddy because they know they'll be less crowded, and will have an easier time beating a record.

I'm just on the trails to have fun, meet people, and take some cool footage.

But if people are into it for personal records, go for it. They just shouldn't mandate how I should ride if I'm not causing any damage to the trails. If they should tell me how to ride, I should tell them their Strava stats shouldn't count if they didn't ride how I wanted them to ride.

11. Likes REDFOX liked this post
    One of these days I'll rent an ebike just to troll the hell out of the whiners out there, and I'll get it all on video.

Rented one yesterday in Trenton, Italy. I wanted to ride in the Dolomites while here in Italy. Trenton is a small mountainous town. The shop we found the rented bikes only rented e-bikes... not our origi al plan but what the hell - why not.

The roads through town are reasonably hilly - the bikes sailed up and down fantastically. We headed up the trails rather than taking the tram - bikes were awesome! We went up dirt tracks so steep there is no way many people alive could have pedaled without the e assist. So steep we chose another route down because it was a skid fest. It was a lot of work and a huge effort to ride these things up there, no chance without the right equipment.

The bikes were a Focus Jam2, and 2 of the new Fantic... all full suspension.

I'll elaborate more on the capabilities after I get back and am not typing on a phone!

14. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    That above mentioned bikes had 100-120mm travel front and rear. Unfortunately they were brand new and no pump on hand to set the sag. Rear seemed tight, front mushy. So I can't really say how well it worked - it did work well enough to allow very steep climbing over rough trails, sometimes 3-4" cobble and 6"ledges. You are convinced that you will have to get off and push through some of the steep rough sections but just pedal your way through.

I ocassi finally had to stop, or got stopped by the terrain as it was so steep it was hard to keep any pressure on the front end and it would wander off the line I was trying to hold. This would only be an issue on very steep technical sections... think Puke hill only way steeper, it fits and rocks, and 12 miles long (we only did about 6 of the uphill).

If you stopped it was very difficult to get going again - again the sharpness. The first pedal.stroke engages the assist and it will spin out quickly - turn it off and it was too steep to pedal the one stroke to get onboard! I would push to a wide spot on the trail and make a lateral start quickly pointing it up hill - sometimes it worked while others not. These are heavy bikes making the hike
    A bike sections way shitty, the vertical.nature of the terrain made it worse.

We went up the trail and down the road... backwards from out typical rides. It was steep enough on the downhill pavement that I clocked 75kph or roughly 47mph... not had for a 50 lb bike running 27.5x2.8 jobbies. It handled fine on the downhill but I could smell the brakes getting burned in!

On the uphill segment on asphalt I noticed that it had a 25kph limiter - once you hit 25kph the power assist cut out... This sucked balls. It was.easy to.get to 25 but once it picked out it was near impossible to pedal at that speed, so it felt like you hit thw breaks a lot, over and over. Just had to watch the speedometer and keep to 24!

All.and all I had a great time and a good workout. I see these as getting you places you might not otherwise be able to go. Or to ridesome.trail that has a long way to get to the start. I'm getting old and the jnees are going out. I can see myself getting one of these when I can't do it all on my own anymore. I dont want to be relegated to the Jordan River Parkway and such.

Yesterday I might have chimex im to keep them off the trails. If you don't like them just ignoire them. We have plenty if trail douche bags on regular bikes and hope the ebike crowd wont be any worse. I see now that they can have a place on the mountain.

Sorry for the shitty phone typing.

I'm officially in the "I Hate E-Bikes Camp"!

The past couple of weeks I've been mowed over three times by e-bikes in Corner Canyon. They go to fast and the riders are clueless when it comes to proper trail etiquette.

E-Bikes Are The Spawn Of Satan!

Yeah I guess one issue could be the noobs with no clue or etiquette who show up on trails with an e-bike. These guys are going to give all e-bike riders a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I'm officially in the "I Hate E-Bikes Camp"!

The past couple of weeks I've been mowed over three times by e-bikes in Corner Canyon. They go to fast and the riders are clueless when it comes to proper trail etiquette.

E-Bikes Are The Spawn Of Satan!
    On the climb, or the downhill?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    On the climb, or the downhill?
    Climb