Thread: Disrespect towards flag

Disrespect towards flag

I'm sorry about the rant, but this just makes me sad (and a bit miffed).

This happened just a few minutes ago.

In town, for Flag Day, flags are put around town in a bucket filled with concrete. In my car, I was in line behind three cars to turn. Unfortunately it was really windy the flag in the corner blew over. Instead of getting out of the car, all three cars turned without stopping, one of them running over the flag.

I pulled over, picked the flag up and reset it in the bucket, hopefully in a position where it can't blow over.

I am still sad and miffed that all three cars in front of me went anyway and one drove over the flag. It took less than a minute pick it up and reset it.

People burn flags to make a statement, but indifference is almost as bad.

It's pretty sad that some people don't seem to care about the flag (or anything else) anymore.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. Likes DiscGo, Sombeech, 2065toyota, jman liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

In my work van...USA, love it or leave it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

5. Likes Sandstone Addiction, Iceaxe, Scott P liked this post
    People are inherently lazy. Most people won't go out of their way to do anything unless it is DIRECTLY affecting them.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I'm probably going to open a can of worms here, but here goes:

The flag (of any nation) is a representation of that particular nation. In the USA, where I am a regular illegal alien, I see many US citizens pay respect to that flag, quite rightly.

Similarly, a badge on a cap may represent a nation (particularly from a military perspective, where the cap badge has been bestowed upon the wearer by the leader of that nation. Therefore the wearer of such an honour should only salute that honour whilst wearing it.

So my point is, why salute bare-headed like in the USA when there is no badge to salute?

1st image: CORRECT wearing hat & badge

2nd Image: INCORRECT no hat nor badge...what are they saluting?

In our Armed Forces, if one salutes without a headdress (and suitable badge), even to a superior rank,you'd be cashiered out.

As I said, can of worms, but I'd be interested to see the opinion of those that are not USA illegal aliens like me.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
    ...what are they saluting?

In our Armed Forces, if one salutes without a headdress (and suitable badge), even to a superior rank,you'd be cashiered out.

As I said, can of worms, but I'd be interested to see the opinion of those that are not USA illegal aliens like me.

Rob
    I was in the Navy, so I remember this. They are saluting the flag at either reveille, retreat or taps.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

9. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
    In the USA, where I am a regular illegal alien,
    I highly doubt you have ever been an illegal alien in the US.

This is part of the liberal bullshit going on in this country where they try and cause confusion between legal aliens and illegal aliens when the difference is crystal clear.

Salute when covered or armed.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    In the US, we salute the person or the flag, not a badge on a cap. The hand generally aligns with the bridge of a cap, but that's generally all the cap is for.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    This is part of the liberal bullshit going on in this country where they try and cause confusion between legal aliens and illegal aliens when the difference is crystal clear.
    Yeah...here's some liberal spin:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...port-refugees/

http://www.snopes.com/chobani-ceo-im...ees-per-month/

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...htmlstory.html

Interesting to me as last weekend we spent some time in Magic Valley. Gonna try some of their grass fed beef.

Anyhoo...close to home.

14. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    In the US, we salute the person or the flag, not a badge on a cap. The hand generally aligns with the bridge of a cap, but that's generally all the cap is for.
    OK, thanks for the explanation, BruteForce.. Here, as a nation, we don't salute the flag. We salute (in our case) the Queen in the presence of superior Officers.

In essence, the person saluting is recognising that the Queen (as the official head of our armed forces) has bestowed a superior rank to the person being saluted. But it only happens when when the person being saluted also wears the Queen's insignia to identify him/her a having received the Queen's rank.

Rob