Thread: Snake Gulch

Snake Gulch

Brandon and I took a few days and wandered around Snake Gulch.

Name:  IMG_0166.JPG
Views: 1030
Size:  59.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0167.JPG
Views: 781
Size:  58.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0169.JPG
Views: 815
Size:  72.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0193.JPG
Views: 733
Size:  58.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0196.JPG
Views: 776
Size:  79.9 KB

Name:  IMG_9913.JPG
Views: 750
Size:  75.4 KB

Name:  IMG_9986.JPG
Views: 820
Size:  82.4 KB

Nice weather, great company, and plenty to look at and ponder.....

**( The spring at table rock is dry )

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Regular trailhead or a "sneak" route to middish gulch region (more rock art for less walking)?

4. Likes windminstrel liked this post
    Regular trailhead, we were warming up for the next leg of the trip, Wrather canyon on the lower Paria.

6. Likes neuron55 liked this post
    BTW - a recent acquaintance noted that Snake Gulch is good for maintain biking - you don't need to walk the 17 miles round trip.

8. Likes windminstrel liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_outdoors View Post
    BTW - a recent acquaintance noted that Snake Gulch is good for maintain biking - you don't need to walk the 17 miles round trip.
    Riding a bike would be very easy with only a 100' elevation change the entire trip, but to truly enjoy the experience lift your ass from that seat and place one foot in front of the other !

Quote Originally Posted by windminstrel View Post
    Riding a bike would be very easy with only a 100' elevation change the entire trip, but to truly enjoy the experience lift your ass from that seat and place one foot in front of the other !
    My 2c: Well - to see the entire canyon is 17 miles round trip from the trailhead - I've done 17 mile RT with the wife a decade ago (Keet Seel trip) - it was NOT fun hoofing it so much. We also hiked 20 miles in one day four decades ago with full backpacks and a big elevation change - more miles=less fun. To say that you can only enjoy a place by walking every inch is bordering on elitist. Wife and I just came back from a 8,150 mile trip to Alaska - driving the hole darned way. Prior Alaska visit - we flew up there and drove much less, The fly-drive version was MUCH more enjoyable in terms of reward vs time-effort. Last fall we thoroughly enjoyed Snake Gulch on foot - even though we dropped into it on foot at Table Rock and hiked MUCH less than 17 miles (albeit with 800 ft. vertical to deal with).

In my younger days I did some monitoring here in California for the forest service. Some of that region was designated wilderness and if I recall correctly, mountain bikes weren't supposed to be ridden inside the boundaries. I would ride my bike along a dirt road that was the boundary. If I was checking sites on the wilderness side I ditched the bike and hiked.
    The one time I visited Snake Gulch there was a wilderness area sign not too far from the trailhead. I assumed I wasn't supposed to ride a bike past that point(?)

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_outdoors View Post
    My 2c: Well - to see the entire canyon is 17 miles round trip from the trailhead - I've done 17 mile RT with the wife a decade ago (Keet Seel trip) - it was NOT fun hoofing it so much. We also hiked 20 miles in one day four decades ago with full backpacks and a big elevation change - more miles=less fun. To say that you can only enjoy a place by walking every inch is bordering on elitist. Wife and I just came back from a 8,150 mile trip to Alaska - driving the hole darned way. Prior Alaska visit - we flew up there and drove much less, The fly-drive version was MUCH more enjoyable in terms of reward vs time-effort. Last fall we thoroughly enjoyed Snake Gulch on foot - even though we dropped into it on foot at Table Rock and hiked MUCH less than 17 miles (albeit with 800 ft. vertical to deal with).
    Wow that sort of escalated quickly, my failed attempt at humor to accusations of elitism in just a few strokes of a keyboard.
    Everyone has their preferred way of enjoying the outdoors, I like to wander and do the hands on experience and have been rewarded many times for my efforts.
    So as my final thought I wish you many enjoyable ventures in the future.

The one time I visited Snake Gulch there was a wilderness area sign not too far from the trailhead. I assumed I wasn't supposed to ride a bike past that point(?)
    Yes, it is illegal to ride bikes in the wilderness area.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Just as well the wife and I were on foot then :-) Those Wilderness no-go signs have a habit of popping up in some annoying locations - such as the easier approach to Leviathan Cave, NV (approach from the west).