Thread: 6/8 - 6/11/17. West Baker / Neon / Ringtail

6/8 - 6/11/17. West Baker / Neon / Ringtail

Thursday afternoon we hiked in from the Egypt trailhead and set up camp about a 1/2 mile downstream of Neon. Knowing we were doing Baker & Ringtail and trying to avoid some of the Neon traffic.

Friday morning we hit the Ringtail approach and about half way up, veered off towards Baker. Route finding was fairly easy and we made good time and found a way down off the ledges for the drop into Baker. We all carried 4 and 5 mil suits, but it was pretty warm and all the water and swims actually felt really good and we never did suit up. Group of 10 of us were about 9 hours round trip from camp.

Saturday morning we headed up the Neon approach. We seen a group of 4 rapping in, so we choose to not get congested and went another 20 minutes up canyon and found a spot that we could downclimb in. Quite a few downclimbs, swims, wades etc we came to the first keeper pothole. The group of 4 was still at the keeper trying to get out of it. We suited up and were ready to go when they finally were able to escape. We filled 2 potshots, threw them past the keeper which was in full swim mode, with about a 6' lip. With a little assist and Brians skilled he was out in under 30 seconds. We sequenced our group through really quickly and headed down canyon to play in all the water and swims. Golden Cathedral rap dropped into about 4' deep water. Awesome place.

We got back to camp around 2pm, Grabbed some food, filtered another 2 litres of water and headed to Ringtail. We hiked way too far up Ringtail before dropping in and wasted a couple of hours on the approach and walking down a sandy canyon before hitting the good stuff. The bid keeper was completely dry with about 10' vertical slimy lip. We threw a pot shot which did not hold, 2 would have worked for sure, but me being 6'5" and Todd prob 6'2", Brian climbed up us and onto our shoulders then we boosted him up high enough that he could get over. Everyone else was quick to the escape as we were starting to loose light. We moved quickly through the canyon, never suiting up, and I wish I would have taken more pics, but we wanted to get out before dark.

Of the canyons, Ringtail is the bang for the buck in my opinion, although Neon is cool with all the water and the Cathedrail

Sunday morning was a 6am start and hike out before it got too hot.

Great trip with some good friends

2. Likes Taylor, ratagonia, TommyBoy liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    Pics
    Still no pictures...

And yeah you are right, Ringtail is awesome! Neon is good, but what makes it special is the Golden Cathedral. Other than that, it would probably be "average" for a canyon. But is more fun when there is more water in there.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Still no pictures...

And yeah you are right, Ringtail is awesome! Neon is good, but what makes it special is the Golden Cathedral. Other than that, it would probably be "average" for a canyon. But is more fun when there is more water in there.

Still struggling with the the uploading pics being posted at random rotations and random orders so I took them off. Will try again later

Blog Entries
    Still struggling with the the uploading pics being posted at random rotations and random orders so I took them off. Will try again later
    ah yes. Bogley does need a better picture uploader/manager tool *hint hint* @Sombeech (And a white text on black background mode too...)

And cool, looking forward to the pics
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Lovely story. Pics or it didnt happen ;)
    Delivery smartphone repair
    www.drwobot.com
    www.instagram.com/dadgitdoes

10. Likes badwobot liked this post
    This Thread Is Worthless Without Pictures!

Egypt Trailhead looking East to the Neon dome

Almost to the River. Mouth of Neon

Bushwack on the way to Baker

Drop into Baker

Small pothole in the narrow section

Refreshing swim

Another refreshing swim. Good thing we carried our wetsuits.

Downclimb into another swim

Nice grassy trail along the river on the way back to camp. Too bad it wasn't all this nice

Cool wall looking down into Neon

Eric downclimbing a narrow slot into some nasty deep mud

Long wade/swim

No suits yet, its still too warm

Dillon getting ready to climb out of the keeper

Another long swim

Go around the corner and the swim continues

Fun pool to jump. Unknown depth, nobody touched

Obligatory Golden Cathedral rap

Ringtail Approach ramp. Very few spots you can climb out of the river

Ringtail Canyon

Rudolpho coming down after the stem.

14. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    I can't believe how full the 2nd pothole is.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dakotabelliston View Post
    I can't believe how full the 2nd pothole is.

Neon was completely full of water, Baker and Ringtail fairly dry

Sort of like Heaps being full of water right now and Imlay dry

Just goes to show you can't predict anything and just need to be prepared for whatever

18. Likes darhawk, dakotabelliston liked this post
    Neon was completely full of water, Baker and Ringtail fairly dry

Sort of like Heaps being full of water right now and Imlay dry

Just goes to show you can't predict anything and just need to be prepared for whatever
    When we did Neon in March it was full. Ringtail on the other hand was full in the upper section with all the lower sections dry.