Thread: Heaps Video & pictures

Heaps Video & pictures

Heaps June 2 & 3rd. Pictures & video

I took about 500 pictures. Below are some edits & my favorites.

I'm not very proud of this YouTube video. I didn't take very many videos the 2nd day & I missed a lot of key moments. However I figured it's still worth sharing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

4. Likes harness man, dakotabelliston liked this post
    Is that ledge the guy is standing on above Emerald Pool the bird perch? I've got to go do this.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

6. Likes harness man, dakotabelliston liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Is that ledge the guy is standing on above Emerald Pool the bird perch? I've got to go do this.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Yes he's standing on the bird perch. Such a cool place.

8. Likes harness man liked this post
    How were the water levels?

10. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    How were the water levels?
    Canyon was full. We only had 3-4 easy partner assist.

5/4 wetsuit, 3mm socks, 3mm gloves was perfect.

12. Likes harness man liked this post
    Great pictures, and the Bird Perch pic is the first good picture of that spot that I've seen.

14. Likes moab mark, harness man, Phavant liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Great pictures, and the Bird Perch pic is the first good picture of that spot that I've seen.
    Did I NOT send you a calendar??

Tom

16. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Did I NOT send you a calendar??

Tom
    Nope, you did not. I just figured you were slacking this year

And just for the record, for some reason I really hate that final rappel sequence. Probably because there are just so many opportunities to screw up at the end of a long tiring day.

18. Likes ratagonia, dakotabelliston, moab mark liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    And just for the record, for some reason I really hate that final rappel sequence. Probably because there are just so many opportunities to screw up at the end of a long tiring day.
    Ditto that. First time for me, I was focused on the very last rappel and underestimated how steep the rappel to the bird's perch was. Had a a heavy pack with 300 feet of wet rope on my back. A bit frightening.

Next trip no issues.

20. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Ditto that. First time for me, I was focused on the very last rappel and underestimated how steep the rappel to the bird's perch was. Had a a heavy pack with 300 feet of wet rope on my back. A bit frightening.

Next trip no issues.
    I dry bagged our rope the entire canyon & hung my pack on the last 3 rappels.

I actually stuffed the rope into the top of my pack just like I would the rope bag . That way I had the rope in my pack on the last rappel so I didn't have to drop it. Made it nice.

22. Likes Brian in SLC liked this post
    I don't like the final rap sequence just because it's more work than it's worth. Once you've done a few big wall rappels, they don't hold too much appeal. Thanks for the trip report and the conditions update.

Quote Originally Posted by dakotabelliston View Post
    I dry bagged our rope the entire canyon & hung my pack on the last 3 rappels.

I actually stuffed the rope into the top of my pack just like I would the rope bag . That way I had the rope in my pack on the last rappel so I didn't have to drop it. Made it nice.

1st person down to the bird pirch just clips in and stays there.
    2nd person down to the bird pirch goes down with the 300' rope bagged hanging below them and stops with the bag hanging at anchor height. Bird perch person (1st person), can easily biner block the 300' rope, unclip from the person still on rope and drop the bag. No messing around with packs or risking dropping anything.

That person stays at the bird perch helping sequence every person through that rap and then goes down last.

Fast, easy and safe

25. Likes ratagonia, twotimer, dakotabelliston liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    Once you've done a few big wall rappels, they don't hold too much appeal. Thanks for the trip report and the conditions update.
    Heaps is the only big boy in Zion I have left to do. I just love the first rap into Eaglestead...perhaps small change compared to Heaps but any multi stage rap is always exciting to me.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

27. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    Heaps is the only big boy in Zion I have left to do. I just love the first rap into Eaglestead...perhaps small change compared to Heaps but any multi stage rap is always exciting to me.
    The last sequence was not as difficult as I had played it out to be in my head. The last sequence was a incredible way you end a epic 2 day adventure. I still have a few canyons in Zion on my must do list:
    Englstead, kolob, mystery, full left fork, right fork, fat mans.

How does one do multiple Imlay trips & one Heaps trip before Mystery lol. That permit system has never favored me in the lotto or last minute drawings.

The last sequence was not as difficult as I had played it out to be in my head. The last sequence was a incredible way you end a epic 2 day adventure. I still have a few canyons in Zion on my must do list:
    Englstead, kolob, mystery, full left fork, right fork, fat mans.

How does one do multiple Imlay trips & one Heaps trip before Mystery lol. That permit system has never favored me in the lotto or last minute drawings.

If you ever need any people to go, we can round up as many as you want. I've already turned 2 Mystery reservations back in this year. I always end up with 3 or 4 of them along with the Subway

30. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    If you ever need any people to go, we can round up as many as you want. I've already turned 2 Mystery reservations back in this year. I always end up with 3 or 4 of them along with the Subway
    I would love to do Mystery or Dad boot/Subway combo. I'm out of commission until mid August with a baby on the way

I would love to do Mystery or Dad boot/Subway combo. I'm out of commission until mid August with a baby on the way

That's cool. Full Left Fork / Subway combo even better

33. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    I'm down !!!

So much fun!

Thank you for your video and pictures. Looks like you had a great time. I soooooo want to get back into canyon fighting mode to finally do Heaps. I have stared up at that last rappel from the Emerald Pool and imagined myself hanging there. You reminded me of many happy memories. Hope to be back at it.

Great video and pictures!

36. Likes dakotabelliston, ratagonia liked this post