Thread: Do you ever freak yourself out while alone outdoors?

Do you ever freak yourself out while alone outdoors?

Man, I do, and it's usually on one of my favorite trails too up near Snowbasin. I like to ride with friends, but sometimes plans fall apart and I like going solo too, at my own pace, more time for photography and setting up the video, things like that.

I keep telling myself I've gotta stop riding this one trail alone because visions of Bigfoot jump out at me with every dark spot in the distant trees in my peripheral vision.

Don't look too hard into the woods, the sun has set, just focus on the trail and make it home safe.

Here's a clip from the trail last night, just enjoy the ride.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ha, ha. Not often but, yeah. It usually happens in May when I'm up AF Canyon. I have a key to the gate (which allows me to drive up the closed Alpine Loop SR-92 road), to do spring-time trailwork and I usually go up in the afternoon when any other canyon workers are gone. So, I'm basically up there all by myself. I can get into some remote areas and occasionally I feel like I'm being watched...or stalked. Psychologically I feel more secure since I started carrying and usually open carry when I'm up there alone. I'm usually biking up there by myself during the summer as well but don't often get those being watched feelings. When I do it's nearly always in the very early morning hours.
    Are we there yet?

Yeah I know it adds a complete new level of comfort knowing I've got my 9mm with me too.

I think I need to stop studying Sasquatch structures lol

This was from that same night. It doesn't look like much at first glance, but you look closer at these things and when you walk up to it, you can't figure out how it happened. Anyways I'm not going to go off the rails on a Bigfoot train now, but when I'm alone all it takes is that "watched" feeling and then something strange to happen, and everything else that night happens for a reason.

My front tire got a flat and I could have easily convinced myself that Bigfoot shot it with a BB gun.

Name:  2017-05-31_17-25-32_HDR.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  134.8 KB

Many moons ago I freaked myself out so bad I nearly soiled my trousers. I was undertaking a short solo hike along Contact Canyon on my way to Notch Peak. It was a non-eventful, but enjoyable hike, The sun was setting so I found a nice overhang to lay out my bedroll for the evening.
    I was awakened in the middle of the night and heard some scrambling in the brush and a noise like a bird chirping. I was slightly bewildered at the sound, it being a dark and moonless night and birds are generally quite at night The rustling and chirping were get closer to my location when I realized what I was hearing. My blood ran cold in my veins and the hair on my neck was bristling about this time and I was freaking out bad. Time passed very slowly for the rest of the night, I could just make out the first glow of the rising sun when I heard the most blood curdling scream I had ever been subjected to. When the sun rose and I mustered up enough courage to leave my alcove I found two sets of cat prints in the brush about ten meters from my resting place. I was so freaked out that I abandoned the rest of the trip and whimpered my way home with my tail firmly placed between my legs. So yes, yes indeed I have freaked myself out while alone in the outdoors.

No, but my outdoor skills legendary.

Gonna need something of a higher caliber than a 9mm if going up against a Sasquatch...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Sasquatch ain't nothing, have you ever heard of one causing any harm?

By far the most dangerous predator in the woods is man. If you want to fear something man should be at the top of your list.

I got lost while hunting in the panhandle of Florida when I was 11 years old and didn't make it back to camp until 11pm. I got over my fear of the dark and monsters that night. Seriously.

The only time I've hiked in fear was in Alaska and the Yellowstone backcountry. That guy up in Montana last year while mountain biking got killed by a bear. He may have been taking a break then...who knows?

Speaking of "man", I was camped at a nice lake, with the whole campsite to myself when this CRAZED 60ish man showed up and started firing handguns into the air, yelling and laughing. He told me he'd be back in about an hour after going to get more booze. Thank God he split, 'cuz I hauled ass outta there.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Gonna need something of a higher caliber than a 9mm if going up against a Sasquatch...
    Not if I shoot him in the balls

I get spooked when I am night riding sometimes. Overactive imagination I suppose.....or I'm just still scared of the dark.