Thread: Alternate exit from Bluejohn?

Alternate exit from Bluejohn?

About 10 years ago, I watched a group of Boy Scouts go through Bluejohn, and after the last 'big drop' rappel, rather than continue on all the 7 miles down Horseshoe Canyon, they climbed up the steep ridge to the north a bit past the rappel. They said that they had a vehicle parked just past the ridge. I think this saved them 1 1/2 to 2 hours of hiking. That day, I continued on down to the normal West Side Trailhead past the pictographs. But I have always wondered about that as an exit. I have never been down that 4wd road that they must have used. We are headed down there this weekend, and am wondering if anyone has used it, or has any information on the drivability of the road that I presume they must have used. It shows on a topo map as a 4wd road. Thanks for any info.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I am assuming that you are referring to the Deadman Trail? That is an easy exit, but the drive is so long and rough that it doesn't save any time than walking out the standard exit on foot.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Not sure of the name of the trail. But thanks for the info. Guess that is why more people don't use it :)

The rangers often use the deadman trail as its the fastest way from the Hans Flat ranger station to the Grand Gallery.

I think the best exit from the lower slot in Bluejohn is just to reverse the canyon. Don't do the last rappel, just go to it and look down it, then go back the way you came. This is definitely the way to go.

Of note, there might be an exit out of Bluejohn not much more than a mile down from the big drop. I have seen it from the bottom (in 1998) and it looks promising, but I haven't tried it out yet (mostly because I haven't done the big drop since April 1998). On the 1998 trip we did it as an overnighter, and wanted to see the pictographs, so we had no reason to exit early.

Now that Google Earth exist, you can see what appears to be a bighorn sheep (or other game) trail on the bench below the final cliff band, adding to the credibility that it does go.

Name:  blue 1.JPG
Views: 388
Size:  112.9 KB

Name:  blue 2.JPG
Views: 391
Size:  140.2 KB

Name:  Blue.JPG
Views: 401
Size:  188.5 KB
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I'm with qedcook, just skip the final rappel. Not only is that simple, but it eliminates carrying a lot of extra gear and rope. If you must do the big drop I'd jug back up and exit the way I came. The hike between big drop and pictographs is a long boring sand slog.

Thanks. Temperature is forecast pretty hot this weekend down there, so reversing at the big drop is sounding better and better. :)
    On the alternate exit, the Deadman Trail (which I am not familiar with) sounds like it may head southish towards the Hans Flat Ranger station. I was thinking about an exit to the north a bit below the big drop, more along the lines of Scott P's post. Years ago, I watched a Boy Scout troop clamber up that ridge in about that area, and they said they had a vehicle at the top somewhere. There is a 4wd road on the topo map.

The Dead Mans Trail is the same road where you can spot a shuttle to cut a couple miles off the High Spur route.

Come to think of it there is no reason I know of that would stop anyone from using the High Spur exit to exit Horseshoe. I'd have to look at a map to see what the mileage is.

Deadman's is indeed on the south side so not the exit your boy scouts used to the North.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk