Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Imlay, Heaps, and Zion

Imlay, Heaps, and Zion

Anyone done any canyons in Zion (or other areas) over Memorial Day weekend that can give a conditions update?

Thanks in advance.

2. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

2nd rap at birch hollow had a trickle that surprised the Minions

Bump, I'm looking to go to Zion this weekend, would love any condition reports on any canyons. Thanks in advance.

6. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    Bump, I'm looking to go to Zion this weekend, would love any condition reports on any canyons. Thanks in advance.
    Heard from a group that did Imlay yesterday. Dry conditions. Some potholes with no water in them. Lots of big escapes from what I heard.

Did Telephone & Not Imlay. No water in either. Cabin Spring barely a trickle. Narrows still flowing pretty good

8. Likes jman liked this post
    Heard that Heaps is tippy top full.

10. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
    Heard that Heaps is tippy top full.

Crazy that they can be so close, but so totally different on conditions

I did heaps Friday/Saturday. Everything wad full with decently clean water. Crossroads had a trickle flow at our camp. Only had 2-3 partner assist.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

13. Likes jman, TommyBoy liked this post
    Did Behuinin on Friday, kept shoes dry. Burch Oderville Narrows Sat. Floated the narrows all the way to the sidewalk. Pine Creek Sunday, half full butt cold!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Likes jman, dakotabelliston, ratagonia liked this post
    Anyone done Boundary yet this year?

We did Imlay last weekend. It was low water conditions. We hooked out of 5 keeper potholes and pack tossed three more holes. There was a stinky log soup and partial blockage log jam that was unstable. There was an anchor station 5 rappels from the end near the last pot hole that is collapsing. The bolts are above a large chokestone covered over by logs and sand that looks like solid ground. As you approach bolts there are two holes where the logs and sand have fallen in and it is about 20 ft down to water and unstable. Near N37.30945 W -112 .94936. 5 man team.

18. Likes Taylor, jman, 2065toyota liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    Anyone done Boundary yet this year?
    Heard of quite a few doing boundary this year so far

20. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Did Behuinin on Friday, kept shoes dry. Burch Oderville Narrows Sat. Floated the narrows all the way to the sidewalk. Pine Creek Sunday, half full butt cold!!!!!!!!!!!
    - Was it cold despite wearing wet suits? what thickness did you use? I plan on doing Pine Creek with the family this coming Friday, and wondering if I should add some layers for the girls?
    - How deep was the water? wondering if I can swing it by carrying the kids to avoid them swimming if cold.

The pool getting to the first rap was chest-deep, the pool after the first rap was a swimmer, the pool before the Golden Cathedral where the little log rappel is was up to your chest. The Golden Cathedral was a swimmer the hallway was chest-deep we all had on either four mil or 5 mil wetsuits. I only had on wool socks inside my five 10s and you could feel it. We passed a group from L.A.with small kids in wetsuits. They were a bit cold but having a blast.
    I don't know how many of you do this but when I take groups of Noobs at the Grand Cathedral I rappel them all off of the log not off of the chain at the Cathedral and then I rerig it at the chain for myself. I set the main strand all the way thru and use the tail on a stone knot to get them off the short log rappel. I send an experience person to the saddle to the cathedral to get them back on the rope for big drop. You can move them thru fast that way. I've also no longer use a biner when using a stone knot for rappeling on both strands. I take a fiddlestick to replace the biner. Much easier to remove after 12 people have rapped on it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

23. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    If going off the log make sure you've thought thru how to rap the log without letting your rope get away.!!!!!

Same on the first rappel. One strand thru tail down first drop.

Thanks for all the tips (set up and conditions)! we're a small group (2 adults, and 2 kids)...will stop by Zion Mountaineering School and rent a 3mm wet-suit-jacket-top to put on top of their 3mm full suit...want to keep them warm and happy :)

27. Likes moab mark, dakotabelliston liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    Heard of quite a few doing boundary this year so far
    Any word regarding Boundary conditions? Any flow or dry?

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRock View Post
    Any word regarding Boundary conditions? Any flow or dry?

flowing last i heard

IMLAY CANYON - Great day on Saturday (6/17) to run the full Imlay canyon. 13 hours from Lava Point to last man off rappel in the Narrows. Keeper potholes are present. Be prepared to hook out of at least 5. Buddy boosts, pot shot and pack toss also used. Most anchors are in good to fair condition.

Name:  19222719_10212378979562280_8438152939154563607_o.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  94.1 KB

HEAPS 6/17
    Great day with 5/4 wetsuits (some in group of four with more) 13 hours car to car at grotto. Had to wait an hour for group ahead us to run final raps. I wasn't cold but did think water felt cold. No longer full though a lot of water. Handful of parter assists, lots of pack tosses. Last time I did the canyon it was full, this time about 1 foot below full on most bigger potholes. I may not understand water sources in heaps but I would guess IF no rain in next couple of weeks a handful of these pots could become a handful. Examples, in first narrows approaching arch, that pothole would get tricky. Some logjams throughout could be harder with a bit less water. The pothole in 2nd narrows just before pool with climb out to sketchy ledge jump was already tough. Losing some more water there could make this a big challenge. Can't name them all but I didn't think Saturday was easy mode, but a good challenge , a lot of work and a fun romp. Also, noted a fixed black rope on first rap. We used it and left it assuming someone was returning to scale back up canyon. Not sure that is right when nothing on 2nd rap. As I rapped the edge I noticed a small amount of fraying (which made me slightly nervous) but I was past it and didn't get a chance to inspect well.

Still not clear how folks get trapped in devils pit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32. Likes Taylor liked this post