Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LDS Church cuts Varsity and Venture programs in 2018

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    When the Boy Scouts of America starts admitting girls, the LDS Church will drop scouting. Mark my words.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...-girls-n754541
    They have had girls in Scouts for years now. The last two BSA camps I went to with the scouts there was Girls on camp staff.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by whansen View Post
    They have had girls in Scouts for years now. The last two BSA camps I went to with the scouts there was Girls on camp staff.
    Can they earn an eagle?

Can they earn an eagle?
    Not that i know of. But that didn't matter they were there. And having the Girls up there change the feel of summer for my boys. The camp directors where probably pulling their hair out all summer long trying to keep the staff separate.
    I see what your saying and that could be one more straw but they have Girls on summer camp staff and that didn't break the camels back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Yeah our troop went to the Bear Lake camp recently. All the boys could talk about is a girl staff member that was there.

6. Likes whansen liked this post
    Girls are currently allowed to join Venturing programs outside of the LDS Church. Salem community used to sponsor a Venturing group which consisted of a few young women.

Shocked a few of our Varsity and Venture's a few years ago when "girls" showed up to the Turkey Shoot and won a few of the events. They weren't too happy about it either.

I personally don't like the idea.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

10. Likes gholt liked this post
    This isn't new. There were girls on staff when I was going to scout camp almost 20 years ago now. The interesting things was how much cuter they seemed to get as the week went on.

Not that i know of. But that didn't matter they were there. And having the Girls up there change the feel of summer for my boys.

Really? Did they catch cooties or something?

The camp directors where probably pulling their hair out all summer long trying to keep the staff separate.

Probably not.

I see what your saying and that could be one more straw but they have Girls on summer camp staff and that didn't break the camels back.
    I worked at Camp Evergreen (East Fork Bear River) in 1990 and 1991. There were female staff there. My cousin (female) worked at Camp Frontier.

This is nothing new. Females have been working at scout camps for many decades. If the scouts can't handle this, then they either shouldn't be in scouting or have poor leadership.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post

Really? Did they catch cooties or something?

Probably not.

I worked at Camp Evergreen (East Fork Bear River) in 1990 and 1991. There were female staff there. My cousin (female) worked at Camp Frontier.

This is nothing new. Females have been working at scout camps for many decades. If the scouts can't handle this, then they either shouldn't be in scouting or have poor leadership.
    No luckily they didn’t get cooties. But they acted different with the girls there. There is times when boys just need to be around boys and girls just be around girls and it’s good for them to have that experience.

Actual we talked to the camp program director about it and if he had any problems with the coed staff and he said from what I remember. He sent one or two staff member’s home that year already for that reason.

Ya I also worked at East Fork of the Bear at camp Tomahawk and Silver Moccasin from 1990 to1993. The only girls I saw was the wife’s of the few adult camp staff members. These older women worked at the trading post and the commissary. It was nice to be able to focus on what we were there for. And not who thought who was cute and who liked who. And what they were doing by the lake last night.

Boys will be Boys and Boys are Scouts. They all handle interaction with girls differently no matter who is leading them. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with keeping the genders separated at camp one week a year.

Ya I also worked at East Fork of the Bear at camp Tomahawk and Silver Moccasin from 1990 to1993. The only girls I saw was the wife’s of the few adult camp staff members. These older women worked at the trading post and the commissary.
    Camp Evergreen was better. We had six female staff. Married staff members were the wife of the camp director, the wife of the assistant camp director; and the kitchen was run by a husband and wife team. The other three female staff members were single. Janell and Jennifer, ages 15 and 17 ran the Trading Post and April, age 24, was the nurse and taught First Aid.

As far as the change in behavior when the women were there, yes there might be some of that, but it is usually having the scouts being better behaved when the girls were around. They may have thought one of the staff were cute, but when the girls were around there were fewer discussions about farts, crap, belches, and the other things that scouts talk about. Overall, having the girls around was a positive and not a negative.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Posted by a Facebook friend...

What the BSA will be losing without the varsity scouting:

The Church represents 85% of all funding for BSA, so the numbers below are heartbreaking to the BSA
    Boy Scout Math

14-18: Lost revenue for registration of 350k @ $24 ea = $8,400,000
    14-18: Lost revenue for FOS of 350k @ $225 ea = $78,750,000

Posted by a Facebook friend...

What the BSA will be losing without the varsity scouting:

The Church represents 85% of all funding for BSA, so the numbers below are heartbreaking to the BSA
    Boy Scout Math

14-18: Lost revenue for registration of 350k @ $24 ea = $8,400,000
    14-18: Lost revenue for FOS of 350k @ $225 ea = $78,750,000
    I suspect that the high adventure camps are going to start being sold off or closed pretty soon with this change. At least in Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, and Arizona LDS troops make up a large majority of scouts. There's no way they can keep all of the camps open without that support. They will keep some of them open, but there's no way to keep them all open with a loss of revenue like that.

The BSA is putting on a brave face right now, but you know they have to be worried about what this means for them.

17. Likes whansen liked this post

I worked at Camp Evergreen (East Fork Bear River) in 1990 and 1991.
    Hey I might have been there at that time! Troop 21, a bunch of hell raising fire cracker throwing boys from West Weber.

19. Likes Scott P liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Hey I might have been there at that time! Troop 21, a bunch of hell raising fire cracker throwing boys from West Weber.
    I was the hiking and backpacking guide, so if anyone took hiking and backpacking, they were in my class. I also helped out with Wilderness Survival. My brother taught orienteering and environmental science.

So it was your group that burned down Evergreen! Jk

So it was your group that burned down Evergreen! Jk

In all seriousness, that was Troop 149 out of Peoa.

In all seriousness, that was Troop 149 out of Peoa.
    Very sad, with the scar that fire left on the whole valley.

Very sad, with the scar that fire left on the whole valley.
    Yes, sad. Also two bears were shot in camp a few years ago because scouts left a bunch of food on the table.

Yes, sad. Also two bears were shot in camp a few years ago because scouts left a bunch of food on the table.
    Yah i was there with my son in 2013 when they shot an killed a bear for the same thing. It blew my mind there was even bears around. Because the years i was up there all summer and never saw an sign of bears.