Thread: Formerly more popular canyons?

Formerly more popular canyons?

Some canyons have exploded in popularity and what used to be a seldom visited place only a few years ago is now very popular.

On the flip side, which canyons (or sections of canyons) have decreased in popularity since canyoneering became popular.

I'm going to say with reasonable confidence that the following canyons are not as popular as they used to be.

Beartrap (Zion)
    Right Fork North Creek (Zion)
    Lower Kolob Creek (Zion)
    Upper Cable (San Rafael Swell)
    Upper Black Box, upper 75% of canyon (San Rafael Swell)
    Upper Squeeze (San Rafael Swell)
    Bluejohn Canyon (still popular, but perhaps a little less so because the 127 hour effect is starting to wane)

Others?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I believe nearly every canyon you listed (except Bluejohn) is no longer popular because for the most part they sucked and better beta made them obsolete. With better beta folks now know how to cherry pick the best part of the canyon without the annoying riff-raff.

Ahhh...I'd argue with you all day about the Right Fork. That place is awesome. But I consider it more a backpack than canyoneering. An awesome backpack.

Scott, what makes you think this one is getting fewer people?

I've been thru it 4 times. First in '93 and last in'99, We had it all to ourselves except for once...two guys at the Grotto. We would camp above the slot at the big turn and then at Barrier Falls. So two nights.

Every time in Zion I want to go back here, but I always get distracted with other stuff.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

5. Likes TommyBoy liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    Ahhh...I'd argue with you all day about the Right Fork. That place is awesome. But I consider it more a backpack than canyoneering. An awesome backpack.
    Same here, I've always thought this was one of the best places in the park. I've only been through once, but it was pictures of this place that first got me interested in canyoneering.

7. Likes twotimer liked this post
    That place is awesome. But I consider it more a backpack than canyoneering. An awesome backpack.
    I agree that it is awesome. I'd still call it a combination of canyoneering and backpacking.

Scott, what makes you think this one is getting fewer people?
    When Zion was a zoo last Memorial Day weekend, I asked if there were any permits left for Right Fork. I was told that we would only be the second ones through last year and that they only issue a few permits a year. We never did see anyone.

I have done it two times (full length) and several other times from the bottom, but this was the only time we didn't see people. Labor Day weekend 1992 there were actually two other groups in there. The other time we saw two people. This time none.

In addition some of (maybe all of) the old social trails have disappeared.

I believe nearly every canyon you listed (except Bluejohn) is no longer popular because for the most part they sucked and better beta made them obsolete. With better beta folks now know how to cherry pick the best part of the canyon without the annoying riff-raff.
    This was my same thoughts for Cable, Squeeze, and Upper Black Box. The best parts/biggest bang for the buck are now cherry picked.

Arguably the same could be said for Lower Kolob, but lower Kolob is actually very scenic. The permit issues have also come into play, yet another factor.

For canyons such as Right Fork North Creek and Beartrap (and possibly another factor in lower Kolob), the reason seems that overnight canyoneering has virtually disappeared, or at least declined in popularity.

20-30 years ago canyoneering/backpacking combinations were about as popular as day trips, or so it seems. Now overnight canyons or canyons with overnight approaches probably make up less than one percent of canyoneering trips. Of course there are exceptions and Heaps, Imlay, and the semi-technical Death Hollow do see overnight use, but there really aren't that many canyons that do anymore.

The same seems to be true about rock climbing. In the US at least, backcountry rock climbing seems to have declined in popularity except for on a few big named peaks (Grand Teton, Pingora, etc.). Meanwhile roadside crags have exploded in popularity.

Another one that should be on the list is Oak Creek/Eye of the Needle. Private property issues have caused a decline in popularity.

Of course the same could be said for several canyons on the Navajo Reservation.

Goose Creek in Zion is also one that isn't done anymore.

Permit requirements have definitely made Buckskin Gulch and the Paria less popular than they once were. Now overnight permits are limited to 20 people a day in the canyon system. Before the permit system, there were definitely more than 20 people per day in the canyons!
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Photos and trip report from Right Fork North Creek:

http://www.summitpost.org/the-two-zions/973868

The canyon is definitely a good one!

10. Likes twotimer liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
    Same here, I've always thought this was one of the best places in the park. I've only been through once, but it was pictures of this place that first got me interested in canyoneering.
    Right on! I'd only rappelled once in my life before that canyon. I've got to get my ass back there...especially with Scott confirming it's still a wilderness trek.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

There is also 100 times more reliable beta to be found, which I believe has helped to spread out the usage and impact.

Something else I've noticed is many canyons come in and out of style. The classics are always well traveled, but others will be popular for a while only to fade and then suddenly pop back into fashion, often when discovered by the next generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Another one that should be on the list is Oak Creek/Eye of the Needle. Private property issues have caused a decline in popularity.

Of course the same could be said for several canyons on the Navajo Reservation.

Goose Creek in Zion is also one that isn't done anymore.
    I don't think that canyons that are closed for various reasons fall into the same category as those that are simply out of fashion. I've wanted to do Oak creek ever since I heard of it, but it was closed by the time I got in to canyoneering. Some of the closed canyons I think would probably be very popular if we were allowed in to see them.

Something else I've noticed is many canyons come in and out of style
    That seems to be true of some outdoor sports, such as canyoneering in general as well. Canyoneering is still popular, but is seems to have leveled off a bit, at least compared to the explosion that happened between around 2000 or so to 2010 (perhaps not exact dates, but approximate).

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    the explosion that happened between around 2000 or so to 2010 (perhaps not exact dates, but approximate).
    Yeah...after that the cell phones started eating into their brains. I swear it's true. I still operate a flip phone from 2006. Everywhere I look people are screwin' with those things.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?