Thread: Red Breaks & Great West Fork (Elbow Canyon) 4/29/17

Red Breaks & Great West Fork (Elbow Canyon) 4/29/17

Edit

Doing the combo makes it a full day, but just as well as they are very near each other. We took 2 ropes, 1 @ 40' with a pullcord and a 90'.

A few pretty tight sections, little bit of stemming, lots of downclimbing and tons of scenic curvy walls. Definitely recommend to anyone wanting a good semi technical canyoneering adventure.

We started from the end of the Sheffield road at the Drill Hole site. Headed East, crossed over the Great West Fork and descended down Red Breaks. Exited Right side up canyon looped back up and around, crossed through Red Breaks at the start of the technical section, back over to GWF to descend. Exited from the end of the technical section Left up canyon and back to the vehicles. I think we were about 8 or 9 hours car to car without hurrying too fast.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

random order and sideways if you can fix it for me. thx

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    random order and sideways if you can fix it for me. thx
    Are these from an iPhone by chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Are these from an iPhone by chance?

No. Downloaded off an Olympus TG4, then posted from my laptop

Blog Entries

Red Breaks & Great West Fork (Elbow Canyon) 4/29/17

No. Downloaded off an Olympus TG4, then posted from my laptop
    Hmm...I wonder if it suffers from the same flaw (for lack of better word) that iPhones suffer from?

So I'm guessing that when you copy the pictures to your PC, they look like they are in their correct orientations, right? At least on my PC they show that. But when I upload them to Bogley and other websites, they are all rotated 90 degrees (like what you are experiencing).

So here's what I do to fix it, although it is a pain. Once they are copied to the desktop and it looks like they are displaying correctly, I rotate all of the images 90 degrees in "Windows Photo Viewer" and move on to the next one until they are all rotated (and consequently saved automatically). Then I go through the list again and rotate them back to how they originally were (which is the correct rotation).

Once I do that, Bogley and other sites that I frequent THEN display the correct orientation. It's weird I know, but it fixes the issue.

Try it on a few and see if that works for you.

●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Hmm...I wonder if it suffers from the same flaw (for lack of better word) that iPhones suffer from?

So I'm guessing that when you copy the pictures to your PC, they look like they are in their correct orientations, right? At least on my PC they show that. But when I upload them to Bogley and other websites, they are all rotated 90 degrees (like what you are experiencing).

So here's what I do to fix it, although it is a pain. Once they are copied to the desktop and it looks like they are displaying correctly, I rotate all of the images 90 degrees in "Windows Photo Viewer" and move on to the next one until they are all rotated (and consequently saved automatically). Then I go through the list again and rotate them back to how they originally were (which is the correct rotation).

Once I do that, Bogley and other sites that I frequent THEN display the correct orientation. It's weird I know, but it fixes the issue.

Try it on a few and see if that works for you.

Except not all of them are rotated. Not sure how to know in advance which ones it will rotate and which ones won't. When I go to 'manage attachments' the pics are listed in the correct order, but they still post in a random order.

Blog Entries
    Except not all of them are rotated. Not sure how to know in advance which ones it will rotate and which ones won't. When I go to 'manage attachments' the pics are listed in the correct order, but they still post in a random order.
    When it comes to Bogleys picture uploading, it sucks. When I find a bunch after I post a thread, it's nearly impossible to rotate them, so I just copy and paste the text and re upload the pics. Again, a pain.

But if you rotate all of them and rotate them back to the original position - before you upload the pics, that should display the correct orientation.

Again, it's not just Bogley where I see this issue. It's other forums too, but this "rotation" fix does the trick every time without fail (and if I remember to do to it before I post the thread...)

"SEND IT, BRO!!"

9. Likes 2065toyota liked this post
    I wonder if different Internet browsers have different results. I generally use Chrome.

Tried Firefox - Same results

I do think I see a pattern though. It looks as though all pics taken as landscape orientation were left alone, but any taken portrait orientation were rotated during the upload process.

As for the random order, not sure on that one

I rotated them all right, tried to repost. This time it posted them all rotated right and in another random order different than the first time.

Blog Entries
    I rotated them all right, tried to repost. This time it posted them all rotated right and in another random order different than the first time.
    But the trick is to rotate them back to their original shape AFTER you save the file and save again. I'll try to do a video tutorial after work.

"SEND IT, BRO!!"

Since most forums use the same basic forum software as bogley you see the same problem on other forums.

FWIW - I've encountered the rotated photo problem a couple of times. To solve it I just opened and saved all the pics first in my favorite pic editing software. No need to rotate and rotate back for me. Just had to save them again stomping the original.

15. Likes 2065toyota liked this post