Thread: Micro Death Hollow 4/28/17

Micro Death Hollow 4/28/17

Edit

Thursday afternoon a group of us headed towards Escalante for a weekend of camping and canyoneering. Friday was Micro Death Hollow, Saturday Great West (Elbow) & Red Breaks, Sunday Peekaboo & Spooky then the drive home.

Micro Death Hollow is not a long canyon, but definitely worth it. The 280' entry rap is really cool. Some narrows with a little bit of stemming, some tight narrow passages to get through.

A lot of people recommended skipping the last raps and pool into the Escalante. I disagree. The final pothole when approached appears to have a 4-5 tall vertical escape which would provide quite a bit of difficulty. However, there is an underwater arch that can be swam through to the next pool. Very fun.

The exit is pretty steep scramble back to the cars.

Pics

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

If a mod wants to help me. It posted the pics sideways and in a random order again

4. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Sweet. I'm really stoked to see you out and getting after it. How's the leg?

Love the photo of the swim under the arch.

Curious, at the bottom of the big rap, was the pothole scoured out? I've heard various things about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Sweet. I'm really stoked to see you out and getting after it. How's the leg?

Love the photo of the swim under the arch.

Curious, at the bottom of the big rap, was the pothole scoured out? I've heard various things about it.
    I'm good, not 100% but getting there. Not much canyoneering until recently as we had such a good snow year we were on the mountain snowmobiling every weekend.

The pothole was about thigh deep or so. I've also heard rumors of a keeper from Rick Green. Ironically, we ran into him doing the 200' side entrance with a group of his guides that day. It was their first trip into the canyon this year checking out the conditions. He is a great guy and will help anybody with anything they ever need.

7. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    I've seen the pothole at the base of rap 1 near keeper mode. Had to boost my 6ft + partner onto my shoulders and then fully extend my arms under his legs to get him to the lip out. The lip slopes towards the pothole and goes back a distance making pack/potshot tosses a real challenge. We were ready to ascend the rope to get better purchase on our throws before trying the two man boost one last time with success.

I couldn't agree more regarding Rick G

9. Likes ratagonia, 2065toyota liked this post