Thread: GoPro Drone for Hiking?

GoPro Drone for Hiking?

Do any of you use a drone to take pictures/videos while you're hiking? Or on long treks anywhere?

I know some of them can follow you as well but that isn't my top priority. I mainly want one that's easy to carry.

I found this list - http://dronebusinessmarketer.com/best-drone-for-gopro/

But the one that's easy to transport (Karma) is very expensive.

Appreciate the help.

- Paul

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The DJI Mavic is really the only drone that is convenient for hiking (in my opinion). I take my DJI Phantom 3 sometimes but it comes in a huge pack which sucks. This last weekend, I hauled my drone and its case up to Corona Arch and then within 5 minutes of taking off, my drone was being attacked by birds so I had to shut down pretty quickly. It is a bummer to carry a huge pack for 3 minutes of flight :)

"My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

4. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    Someone needs to create a hat/helmet mount so you can attach the drone to your head, fully assembled so you can ditch the huge pack. It would be an awesome look to march up the trail with a drone on your head.
    Life is Good

Drone? DRONE? Use the real thing!

Name:  Img_2661rev.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  69.4 KB

7. Likes DiscGo, Sombeech liked this post
    @DiscGo Cool footage Dan, that one's on my list, I might get a chance to shoot it next weekend.

What kind of birds were they? How close did they get to the drone? That's something I'm often on the lookout for too. Them birds be crazy.

As for the easiest drone to take backpacking or hiking, it would be one of the DJI Mavic series. They fold up very nice and compact. I have the DJI Phantom 4 and I do have a backpack for it, I have taken it on a few bike rides too but there's not much else I can take in the backpack besides drone equipment, so I need to have other means or packs to carry other gear.

I would not recommend the GoPro Karma drone at the moment, they've had major recalls. They were in too much of a hurry to push it out to market. The other mistake they made was bringing on people from 3DR to design the drone, 3DR is another failed drone company. I speak from a very unsatisfied customer experience.

DJI is the market leader now, and for good reason. Not a single issue with my Phantom 4 drone, maybe 50 flights. I should get an actual count.

9. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Most of these shots were from a hike or bike ride, carrying the drone in the backpack

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post

Name:  Img_2661rev.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  69.4 KB
    Is that picture real? It looks awesome!

@Sombeech- I don't know what kind of birds they were, If you watch my video in slow motion at the 2:02 mark you can see them fly by. They kept getting closer and closer. The last one was within 5 inches.

The original picture was signed by the same chap. Good thing there were no rope-swingers!

Name:  Img_2661rev2.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  77.1 KB

15. Likes DiscGo liked this post