Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Confederate Statues removed in New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

Now that there would be hours of entertainment. A little trashy, but that's OK.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    Now that there would be hours of entertainment. A little trashy, but that's OK.
    I have a weakness for redneck girls, probably why I married one...

Boom!!!

George Washington Plaque Honoring First President Must Come Down.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/10/2...must-come-down

And just when you think you've heard it all from the bat shit crazy left... now they want to ban our "racist" National Anthem.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/11/07...al-anthem.html

Quote Originally Posted by FoxNews
    California’s NAACP is pushing for state lawmakers to support a campaign to remove “The Star Spangled Banner” as the country’s national anthem.
    The group says the song, which has been a point of controversy in the NFL, is “one of the most racist, pro-slavery, anti-black songs in the American lexicon,”

Can someone explain to me exactly how the Star Spangled Banner is "the most racist, pro-slavery song in the American Lexicon"?! For hell's sakes, wasn't it written about the American Revolutionary War?

That's a serious question. I really would like to hear someone make a rational argument that purports the National Anthem is a "pro-slavery" song.

I'm all ears.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Can someone explain to me exactly how the Star Spangled Banner is "the most racist, pro-slavery song in the American Lexicon"?! For hell's sakes, wasn't it written about the American Revolutionary War?
    Nope. War of 1812.

That's a serious question. I really would like to hear someone make a rational argument that purports the National Anthem is a "pro-slavery" song.

I'm all ears.
    And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
    That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
    A home and a country, should leave us no more?
    Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
    No refuge could save the hireling and slave
    From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:

And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave,
    O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

FSK was pro-slavery. Folks think the third verse was celebrating killed slaves who joined the British cause.

9. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    For hell's sakes, wasn't it written about the American Revolutionary War?
    As Brian said, it was the war of 1812. Francis Scott Key wasn't even born until 1779.

Folks think the third verse was celebrating killed slaves who joined the British cause.
    To be fair though, no one, or at least almost no one sings that verse. Most people don't even know it exist and they wouldn't unless the issue was brought up. Is there anyone at all that sings the verse in question? I have only seen it on paper in historical context and have never heard it sung.

Most books I am familiar with have long purged that verse from the lyrics. For example, here is the LDS hymnbook:

https://www.lds.org/music/library/hy...=por&clang=eng

Lyrics

• 1. Oh say, can you see, by the dawn’s early light,
      What so proudly we hailed at the twilight’s last gleaming,
      Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight,
      O’er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
      And the rockets’ red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
      Gave proof thru the night that our flag was still there.
      Oh say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
      O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave?
    • 2. On the shore, dimly seen thru the mists of the deep,
      Where the foe’s haughty host in dread silence reposes,
      What is that which the breeze, o’er the towering steep,
      As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
      Now it catches the gleam of the morning’s first beam,
      In full glory reflected now shines on the stream;
      ’Tis the star-spangled banner! Oh, long may it wave
      O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
    • 3. Oh, thus be it ever, when free men shall stand
      Between their loved homes and the war’s desolation!
      Blest with vict’ry and peace, may the heav’n-rescued land
      Praise the Pow’r that hath made and preserved us a nation!
      Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
      And this be our motto: “In God is our trust!”
      And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
      O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

11. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    ^^^
    Kinda looks like the version the US went to during WWI. Allied with the redcoats, we didn't want that third verse to bum them out, apparently.

Yeah, you never hear the third verse.

Interesting history especially of how armies were populated. Paid mercenaries and former slaves hoping to get a crack at their former masters. Probably an effective propaganda tool.

13. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Thanks Scott & Brian...

I think I fall into the broad spectrum of mainstream America who has absolutely no idea there's a racist third verse to the National Anthem.

I think I fall into the broad spectrum of mainstream America who has absolutely no idea there's a racist third verse to the National Anthem.
    I don't think its that black and white (ahem, so to speak).

There's verbiage in there about "freemen" and it was known that free slaves fought for the US.

Its hard to know FSK's intent. And, given the times, nothing can be more frightening than your property (a slave) joining a foreign force and taking up arms against you. They'd be a pretty motivated force, methinks. Again, effective propaganda tool for both sides.

So...I dunno. Sure part of the history of the day. I don't really understand the call to have it removed (and am not for that). Song gives me goosebumps. Best version? Hard to beat Whitney Houston's version of it. Jennifer Hudson has a set of pipes for it too. Kind of ironic when you think about it...

16. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    FWIW - during the war of 1812 slaves were promised freedom if they fought for the British. More than 4000 slaves were freed under this program, which was the largest emancipation of slaves until the Civil War. Mercenaries (hireling) were also a large part of the British forces. I believe the destruction of those two groups are who FSK was referencing in the third verse, your mileage may vary.

So.... now my question.... the African-American have their panties in a bunch over this one sentence... but the entire song is really about kicking British ass... so why don't those of English descent have their panties in a wad?

Enquiring minds want to know?

18. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    The solution seems simple. Francis Scott Key intended to write a poem rather than the National Anthem. No one sings the original 3rd verse anyway. Just declare the other versus the National Anthem.

The vast majority of the Americans that known the National Anthem know and sing the first verse only.

In my entire life, the only time I have ever heard or sang any versus of the National Anthem other than the first was in church and we never sang the original 3rd verse. The original 3rd verse has already been voluntarily purged from lyrics sheets and song books anyway and has been for several decades.

Before it all of the sudden became an issue, unless you were a history buff, relatively few people in modern days knew the third verse even existed.

so why don't those of English descent have their panties in a wad?
    Ironically, the tune is from England.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

20. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Ironically, the tune is from England.
    Even better it was a drinking song....

The song was written for the Anacreontic Society around 1771. The tune is now thought to have been written "collectively" by members of the society. The society met every two weeks to get drunk, sing songs and to indulge in debauchery. Anacreon himself was a Greek poet from about 570BC who was noted for his erotic poetry

22. Likes Rob L, Scott P liked this post
    Even better it was a drinking song....

The song was written for the Anacreontic Society around 1771. The tune is now thought to have been written "collectively" by members of the society. The society met every two weeks to get drunk, sing songs and to indulge in debauchery. Anacreon himself was a Greek poet from about 570BC who was noted for his erotic poetry
    Yes, and for those who enjoy history, the last line of each six verses is about getting laid.

It's too bad school textbooks sometimes don't make history interesting. It is when you get down into it, especially with little details such as the tune from the National Anthem coming from an English drinking song that was also about getting laid. These kinds of things need to be in the textbooks, so kids and adults are more interested in history.

24. Likes rockgremlin liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Yes, and for those who enjoy history, the last line of each six verses is about getting laid.
    O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave"?

???

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave"?

???
    Shane and I were referring to the Anecreon song (drinking song with sexual innuendo) from where the tune from the national anthem comes from. The last line of each verse in the Ancreon song is as follows:

"The Myrtle of Venus with Bacchus's Vine."

28. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    I spent three days in Georgia (the US State) and northern Florida a few weeks ago. They were all very polite but were utterly convinced that they would NOT see their Confederate statues and flags taken down. (The expression "over my dead body" was used several times).

As a foreigner (not an alien ), I don't understand the history fully, but as a European, I see some similarities with what happened in the 1920s and 1930s in Europe. And the modern fad of trying to "delete" history.

Rob

There are a few Confederate Flags I'd love to see removed.....