Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Confederate Statues removed in New Orleans

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!

Confederate Statues removed in New Orleans

I'm curious as to what people think about this who are not associated with the area. Most people think, right or wrong, it's history and heritage. Thoughts?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/con...ans/ar-BBAefFl

My 2 cents:

With the crime rate and city deterioration escalating daily, this is what the mayor focuses on. Guess it takes the heat off of him (temporarily) for the sky high murder rate and crime rate. New Orleans (very sadly) is not the city where I was raised any longer. The whole city is history - right or wrong - and what will come next? The French Quarter buildings? D.C. monuments? Where does it stop?

Never regret anything that made you smile!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I think it's all a bunch of bullshit.

But then again I'm a redneck so WTF do I know.....

A brief history of one of the monuments:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Liberty_Place

Note that the monuments are not being destroyed, but removed from public display for the moment. Probably they will end up in a museum (or perhaps a National Park), which seems appropriate.

Time will tell. I've read and heard several things about where the monuments will end up, one being an area in City Park where they will be set up with history plaques etc. A sort of Civil War garden I suppose. The next monuments to be removed (according to the "list") will be PGT Beauregard, Robert E Lee and Jefferson Davis. Like it or not, they are part of history. Half of the officers in the Union and the South attended military schools together. A sad time in our history most certain, but it does concern me as to where all of this will end. Washington and Jefferson were both slave owners, so will their monuments in D.C.be the next target? Btw - I heard that Andrew Jackson (Jackson Square) is on the "list" as well. Last time I checked, there were American and British flags only at the Battle of New Orleans.

I guess my point is that with SOOO much that is wrong in the city, THIS is where the mayor chooses to focus his efforts. A huge majority of the city streets are not back to pre-Katrina condition and they weren't that great then. The city has so much to offer.......a little piece of Europe in America with so much diverse culture, music, food and people. 1/3 of the people that left because of Katrina have not returned. Sad.........

6. Likes accadacca, Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

A gangsta redneck?!

I'll be honest here. That was the dumbest thing I've ever seen. I'd rather watch some kid crash on a skateboard 100 times that see anything like that again.

I'm with Savannah.

10. Likes savanna3313 liked this post
    Isn't it a bit like the Germans (after the war and for several decades subsequent) denying that the holocaust ever took place? History, sometimes unpleasant, can never be obliterated, so why try to do so?

Nope, nothing like the Germans and WWII... you missed understanding entirely.

13. Likes savanna3313 liked this post
    Nope, nothing like the Germans and WWII... you missed understanding entirely.
    OK, so what is the reasoning behind the "removal" of Confederate icons?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
    Isn't it a bit like the Germans (after the war and for several decades subsequent) denying that the holocaust ever took place? History, sometimes unpleasant, can never be obliterated, so why try to do so?
    AFAIK Holocaust denial as we have it today (claiming that it never happened) originated in the USA. Of course before the end of the war, the Nazis used evidence destruction, propaganda, etc. in an effort to hide the mass murder program. Post war, however, I have not heard of such activity. Have you?

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    AFAIK Holocaust denial as we have it today (claiming that it never happened) originated in the USA. Of course before the end of the war, the Nazis used evidence destruction, propaganda, etc. in an effort to hide the mass murder program. Post war, however, I have not heard of such activity. Have you?
    The Germans refused to include reference to it in school history until relatively recently. As you say, there was a lot of destruction carried out; Auschwitz-Birkenau ended up in Poland after the revision of borders, otherwise they would have been obliterated too.

Yeah,..well, Gone With The Wind is the greatest movie ever, in my opinion. They'll have to pry my BluRay copy from my cold, dead hands.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

18. Likes rockgremlin, savanna3313 liked this post
    The Germans refused to include reference to it in school history until relatively recently. As you say, there was a lot of destruction carried out; Auschwitz-Birkenau ended up in Poland after the revision of borders, otherwise they would have been obliterated too.
    Sounds familiar. Slavery in the U.S. is of course mentioned in school history books, yet not given attention proportional to its ongoing influence on our economy and culture.

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    Sounds familiar. Slavery in the U.S. is of course mentioned in school history books, yet not given attention proportional to its ongoing influence on our economy and culture.
    I have my opinion about the men who are represented in the statues and that is not going to change. And contrary to belief, not all were slave owners. When Robert E Lee's father died, he freed all of the slaves on his land. This discussion could go on and on, but I can respectfully agree to disagree. No need in firing a Fort Sumter volley again.

There is nothing that will ever justify slavery - ever. Sadly, there is a different type of slavery now (for all races) and that is the welfare system. Unless you grew up in areas where the welfare system is a lifestyle, you cannot relate. It was meant to be a hand up and not a hand out. It's a heartbreaking situation. In the course of history, there were more people who were treated worse than the slaves. Irish immigrants used to build canals and waterways in Louisiana for pennies a day and were used instead of slaves because to replace them was cheaper. They died by the thousands. Same thing with the Chinese immigrants and the building of the railroads. They were used to set the explosives because the were easily and cheaply replaced. Most of the US was acquired by force, but right or wrong, it's history. Hopefully lessons are learned and the past is not repeated.

21. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    I toured Dachau in 1990 at the same time as a class of nearby German students probably around 10 years old or so. Some were with their parents. I spoke a bit of German at the time so could understand some of the kids comments. We were in the reconstructed barracks were there were old logbooks and photographs especially of some of the "patients" that had been experimented on. Sobering place to say the least. I remember with some clarity a young German schoolgirl tugging on her mom's shirt and asking quietly..."did we do this?"

Interesting that aerial photographs prior to the liberation on 29 April 1945 and current show the layout of facility hasn't changed much, if at all.

http://www.thespectrum.com/story/new...nder/21722605/

[QUOTE=savanna3313;585976When Robert E Lee's father died, he freed all of the slaves on his land. [/QUOTE]

Harry Lee died only 3 years after being released from debtors prison when Robert E. Lee was 11 years old.

You're probably referring to his father-in-law.

Crazy history.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Harry Lee died only 3 years after being released from debtors prison when Robert E. Lee was 11 years old.

You're probably referring to his father-in-law.

Crazy history.
    I stand corrected. I have found (on the internet no less!) varying information.

I don't really understand the love affair the south has with the confederacy as a whole and the flag in particular. I go to KY every year and the hillbillies pretty much treat it as a sacred symbol. At the end of the day they were traitors, and after years of death and destruction they finally got their asses handed to them. Why you would worship that time in history is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    Why you would worship that time in history is beyond me.
    I have a theory...based on my relations on my dad's side, who were all from North Carolina.

Back in the day, even if you were poor, a sharecropper, there was still a class of people you were better than.

Post civil war, that wasn't true anymore. Then Jim Crow came along.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libert..._(New_Orleans)

Does anyone really think the Liberty Monument should NOT have been taken down? And, if so, why?