Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Confederate Statues removed in New Orleans

How about this bad boy?!? We should tear this bitch down, after all slave labor was at least partially used to build a monument to commemorate a slave owner.

Leave the monuments up, because the people who want them down will never be satisfied no matter what they are given. Once the statues come down, then it's the state flags. Then it's the national monument. Any mention of the start of the country by white American. That's what the issue is. Once the "monuments to slavery" are taken down it will just move on to anything that commemorates a white person during times of slavery. Washington, Gone. Lincoln? Yeah, gone too. Just a tall ugly cracker with a goofy hat. I can imagine the Facebook virtue signaling now.

Whatever they take down, or remove, or replace is never going to be enough. Because the root problem is the erronious belief that all white people are racist, because "white racism duh". And until there are no more racist white people (or really no white people) then and only then will it be enough.

Ever met a child that said "you've given enough. I'm just taking advantage of your generosity now"? Yeah, me either.

2. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

How about this bad boy?!? We should tear this bitch down, after all slave labor was at least partially used to build a monument to commemorate a slave owner.
    Even if slaves did help build the monument, it never stood as a monument to slavery. Of course neither do all Confederate monuments.

The Confederate flag however, did stand for succession of the Union in defense of slavery. That is the difference.

No matter how people try to whitewash it with words of "pride" or "heritage", the fact that the flag did stand for this is still true. In latter years, obviously the flag was used for other purposed (I doubt the Dukes of Hazzard for example was promoting slavery), but historically this is what the flag stood for.

Of course people should learn of the history of the Civil war and the Confederate flag. It really isn't something to be proud of though.

While flying a Confederate or Nazi flag is part of the Freedom of Speech (as it should be), it doesn't mean that people can't be outspoken against it (as long as doing so non-violently). Freedom of Speech does not equal freedom from criticism.

I wonder how the people flying Confederate flags and honoring the monuments would feel if someone went and took their children and sold them so they could never see them again? That's exactly what happened with slavery.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post

I wonder how the people flying Confederate flags and honoring the monuments would feel if someone went and took their children and sold them so they could never see them again? That's exactly what happened with slavery.
    Bought and sold by other blacks, yea, theres that part of history..
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Slavery is a black mark (see what I did there) in American history, but it pales in comparison to the genocide of the American Indian, so why don't we deal with that first?

Bought and sold by other blacks, yea, theres that part of history..
    True, but that doesn't make it right. Also, many slaves were born in the US. As soon as they were old enough, they were taken away from their parents never to be seen by their family again. A lot of them were treated poorly and it was legal in most slave states.

Virginia law:

If any slave resists his master... correcting such a slave, and shall happen to be killed in such correction... the master shall be free of all punishment... as if such accident never happened.

South Carolina law:

A fine of $100 and six months in prison are imposed for teaching a slave to read and write, and death is the penalty for circulating incendiary literature.

How would you feel if you were in their shoes?

Slavery is a black mark (see what I did there) in American history, but it pales in comparison to the genocide of the American Indian, so why don't we deal with that first?
    It is being dealt with in many ways; it just doesn't make the news as often. For example, in Colorado (where I live) and New Mexico, several places named in the honor of Kit Carson are being renamed, such as city streets, parks, etc.

http://mountaintownnews.net/2014/08/...er-kit-carson/

For the record, I am in favor of keeping the Confederate monuments as historical objects, but they should be considered to be war monuments, but not to be used to honor the men.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

Tear it down, it's white

9. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Tear it down, it's white
    Along with the WHITE house.

Quote Originally Posted by BasinCruiser View Post
    Along with the WHITE house.
    I still can't believe Trump had the balls to toss a black family out of that Federally funded housing project, what an ass.

/Sarcasm

"For supporters of the Confederate monuments, removing them from parks and avenues will be a blow against their heritage and historical memory. But the statues have often been part of an effort to whitewash the Confederacy. And it’s one thing for a statue to be merely a resting place for pigeons; it’s another for it to be a fighting cause for neo-Nazis. Lee himself opposed building Confederate monuments in the immediate aftermath of the war. “I think it wiser,” he said, “not to keep open the sores of war, but to follow the examples of those nations who endeavoured to obliterate the marks of civil strife and to commit to oblivion the feelings it engendered.” After Charlottesville, it’s time to revisit his advice."

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...uments-museums

==

"Rich seems to think that this is a good time to issue group punishment to neo-Nazi white-supremacist scum. I share the urge. Also I have no fondness whatsoever for Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson, the Confederacy, or any of its symbols, and I have no emotional or other connection to the South. I find it utterly baffling that there is a statue of Roger Taney, author of the Dred Scott decision, in Baltimore. Moreover, some Confederate statues were erected specifically to antagonize black citizens during the civil-rights era.

But it is a characteristic of leftists that they are always pushing the culture wars into new territory, even territory that the Left itself would have called absurd overreach a few years previously. On Monday, the mayor of Baltimore agreed to take down its Civil War statues. By later Monday, that wasn’t good enough: The city council unanimously voted not only to remove but also to destroy the statues. One resident, Keith Scott, was skeptical about what is being accomplished here: “If you were prejudiced when it was up, you’re going to be prejudiced when it goes down,” he told the ABC affiliate in Baltimore. Prejudice hurts people. Statues just stand there, mostly unnoticed."

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...ngton-monument

13. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    I don't mind black people...you mind your business, I'll mind mine. But I have a definite distrust for black males, especially the gnarly gang banger looking type. I think anyone who would willingly whip into a self-serve car wash with some of them hanging around the area is a fool.

Does that make me a racist? I would suppose that in the minds of some it would, but I couldn't care less what they think. It's all about risk avoidance.

I also think that anyone, from any "side" that would risk injury or death because of a stinking statue has shit for brains.

I live in a pretty diverse neighborhood...there are a lot of condo and apartment complexes around here. The Trayvon Martin thing was a real turning point. The older blacks are cool, but quite a few of the younger ones are dripping with attitude. Plenty of hard looks and sketchy vibes. Careful out there, boys and girls.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

15. Likes nelsonccc liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    “If you were prejudiced when it was up, you’re going to be prejudiced when it goes down,” he told the ABC affiliate in Baltimore. Prejudice hurts people. Statues just stand there, mostly unnoticed."

Bravo.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    I don't mind black people...you mind your business, I'll mind mine. But I have a definite distrust for black males, especially the gnarly gang banger looking type. I think anyone who would willingly whip into a self-serve car wash with some of them hanging around the area is a fool.

Does that make me a racist?

Yes, you are a racist.

You also provide a perfect example of the often mocked white privilege. There's probably no one here who thinks you would hire a black man no matter their qualifications. Also, pretty sure you would never rent a place to African Americans either.

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    Yes, you are a racist.

You also provide a perfect example of the often mocked white privilege. There's probably no one here who thinks you would hire a black man no matter their qualifications. Also, pretty sure you would never rent a place to African Americans either.

^^^Very difficult for me to disagree with this. ^^^

Not wanting to operate within the same space as someone because of the color of their skin is textbook racism. You can couch it in terms of personal safety, but really that's just thinly veiled racial prejudice.

Gotta call a spade a spade here. (No pun intended)
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

In Dillon, Montana today and saw this...

Humans are sheep.

They're not removing memorials in Montana because they believe it's right....they're doing it because everyone else is.

Lame.

In other news, the mayor and city council of Blackfoot, Idaho, under threats of violence from Antifa, vote to rename city.
    Are we there yet?

Wonder if they'll make another run at changing the Atlanta Braves and Washington Redskins mascots again? Now's the time to do it since decrying anything remotely offensive to anyone, anywhere is now not just wildly in vogue, but has a full head of steam and hoards of pissed off snowflakes driving the movement.

Is all of this what Trump was referring to when he promised to "Make America Great Again?"

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Humans are sheep.

They're not removing memorials in Montana because they believe it's right....they're doing it because everyone else is.

Lame.
    I don't know about that...

Honestly wasn't aware of this fountain. I heard about it on social media as folks I grew up with were debating it. I'm from Montana and have friends from high school and college that live in Helena. My GF lived in Helena (and she wasn't aware of the statue).

What's interesting is the Algeria Shrine Temple located in the same block...(just off Hill Park). Anyhoo....

Montanans tend to think for themselves, and, this fountain has been controversial and in the news for a number of years. They were supposed to install a plaque explaining its history, but, that never got done.

Its actually a nice looking fountain. Too bad they can just cover the Confederacy stuff on it.

Who could/would afford 2 grand for a small fountain in a park in Helena in 1916? Weird.

No doubt the group that paid for and celebrated the installation of the fountain were lost cause folks and my bet is their descendants still have...certain feelings...

There's still pockets of, uhh, interesting folks in Montana. Where I grew up in Missoula, I remember painted on the highway for years east of Missoula a swastika (right in the middle of the highway!) and "Gestapo patrol area". Was there for years. Those folks are still around. Used to run into them in high school. Not a nice bunch of folk.

Anyhow...the town has debated what to do with the fountain for years. Sound like the majority of the people who spoke in the public meeting were for removing it.

Glad to see some of that MOM group diminishing...

24. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    One interesting detail about the century-old Confederate statue in Durham, NC the liberals toppled....

That particular statue was meant to commemorate children that the Confederate army conscripted into its service against their will.

So rather than sanitize the Old South, whitewash its cause, or rationalize slavery, this statue actually highlighted a negative aspect of the Confederates’ history, and that aspect was put on display for all to see. Not only did it actually teach something, it spread the message about the Confederacy that these statues’ leftist protesters claim to want.

These dumbass liberals are really getting their money’s worth from those college educations..... NOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    One interesting detail about the century-old Confederate statue in Durham, NC the liberals toppled....

That particular statue was meant to commemorate children that the Confederate army conscripted into its service against their will.

So rather than sanitize the Old South, whitewash its cause, or rationalize slavery, this statue actually highlighted a negative aspect of the Confederates’ history, and that aspect was put on display for all to see. Not only did it actually teach something, it spread the message about the Confederacy that these statues’ leftist protesters claim to want.

These dumbass liberals are really getting their money’s worth from those college educations..... NOT!
    Says who?

This was a standard and ubiquitous Confederate Soldiers Monument statue common in the south.

Where'd you get information it was a monument to conscripted children???

Edit to add...wasn't the statue called, "Old Joe"? Hardly a child warrior.