Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Confederate Statues removed in New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Well there ya go.... I don't support removal of either statue as they are part of history.
    History evolves. Now, the removal of the Nawlins monuments is a new page in history - why not savor it?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    History evolves. Now, the removal of the Nawlins monuments is a new page in history - why not savor it?
    We should erect a monument to memorialize the taking down of the monuments!

In all honesty, it's kind of a tough one once you start looking into all of the other people who have statues. Hell, the guy on our $20 committed genocide and a bunch of our founding fathers owned human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    Hell, the guy on our $20 committed genocide and a bunch of our founding fathers owned human beings.
    Would love to see all Presidents deleted from the money. The Revolution gave anti-monarchism a good jump start, but over-reverence for gov't officials has gradually crept back info favor (e.g. it's normal to address people who no longer hold office with their former titles). Poppycock! Put some real American heroes on that dough. Harriet Tubman was a step in the right direction.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/will-do...n-the-dollar20

I think Harriet Tubman is gonna have to wait till Trump is out of office to grace the $20 bill.

Wouldn't it be a delicious twist of irony if they replaced Jackson with either Sitting Bull or Squanto?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

6. Likes hank moon liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/will-do...n-the-dollar20

I think Harriet Tubman is gonna have to wait till Trump is out of office to grace the $20 bill.

Wouldn't it be a delicious twist of irony if they replaced Jackson with either Sitting Bull or Squanto?
    SQUANTO for sure! 'course that's the sort of history many would prefer to forget. Kinda messes with the preferred narrative.

Would love to see all Presidents deleted from the money. The Revolution gave anti-monarchism a good jump start, but over-reverence for gov't officials has gradually crept back info favor (e.g. it's normal to address people who no longer hold office with their former titles). Poppycock! Put some real American heroes on that dough. Harriet Tubman was a step in the right direction.
    Off topic, but after travelling quite a bit; personally I think out money is pretty ugly (even though I like having the money of course!).

New Zealand:

Nepal:

Bermuda:

Canada:

Maldives:

Cabo Verde:

Easter Island:

Tanzania:

Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

nice bills!

i guess a hot pic of Ivanka on a 10-spot would be ok...heck, even Grinchy Shane might thumbs-up that'n.

10. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    nice bills!

i guess a hot pic of Ivanka on a 10-spot would be ok...heck, even Grinchy Shane might thumbs-up that'n.
    Shane seems more like an Ann Coulter kind a guy.

12. Likes Iceaxe liked this post

Shane seems more like an Ann Coulter kind a guy.
    Smart, attractive, aggressive, A-type personally and not bat shit crazy, she certainly fits the IceAxe profile.

Good stuff on Lee; worth reading the article being rebutted as well.
    http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/448276/was-robert-e-lee-hero-or-villain

Makes a good case that these monuments are mementos of the Lost Cause, not the Civil War:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...erased/529818/

What can communities do with Confederate monuments? Here are 3 options:
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/30/us/wha...nts/index.html

Rio's Valongo slave wharf becomes Unesco heritage site
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-40552282

I just leave these here....

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I just leave these here....

Of course most people don't look like that there. Overall the South has the highest obesity rates in the country (and possibly the world).
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I don't really understand the love affair the south has with the confederacy as a whole and the flag in particular. I go to KY every year and the hillbillies pretty much treat it as a sacred symbol. At the end of the day they were traitors, and after years of death and destruction they finally got their asses handed to them. Why you would worship that time in history is beyond me.
    To be fair, the hillbillies wonder why we see Delicate Arch as a sacred symbol

Most Yankees will never understand that southern pride is about heritage and not hate.

Same way Mormon's celebrate the 24th of July, those of Irish descent celebrate St. Patrick's day and Barvarian culture celebrates Oktoberfest.

21. Likes rockgremlin liked this post

If you think most people in the South look like that, you are going to be sorely disappointed.

Here are the most obese states in the nation:

http://www.eatthis.com/most-and-leas...america-ranked

This is more typical of what you find down there:

Of course, there are exceptions.

I've been avoiding this thread and at the same time wondering why it's so popular....glad I decided to poke my nose in here.

BTW, Ann Coulter IS batshit crazy...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.