Thread: Behunin & Keyhole this weekend.

Behunin & Keyhole this weekend.

This weekend we drove to Zion for a quick trip. We did keyhole canyon at 10:45 pm Friday night & completed the canyon at 11:55 pm. Followed the next morning we did Behunin canyon. I made videos of both. Links posted below.

Behunin video this weekend.

Keyhole video this weekend

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2. Likes kaniukr, moab mark liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing! It looked like a fun time. And Keyhole in the dark is pretty sweet!

Btw in behunin, it looks like you followed the path that every one else does initially. As they approach the first drop, they (myself included) hang to the left side of the rock slope to those anchors. By far, the easiest path for the 1st rap is following the watercourse near the edge and rappelling off the large tree that is strung there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

5. Likes dakotabelliston, moab mark liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Thanks for sharing! It looked like a fun time. And Keyhole in the dark is pretty sweet!

Btw in behunin, it looks like you followed the path that every one else does initially. As they approach the first drop, they (myself included) hang to the left side of the rock slope to those anchors. By far, the easiest path for the 1st rap is following the watercourse near the edge and rappelling off the large tree that is strung there.

The 2 pools directly in the watercourse would have been swimmers (from our view) so we opted to stay dry on this trip. I forgot how brutal that hike is lol

Quote Originally Posted by dakotabelliston View Post
    I forgot how brutal that hike is lol
    Yeah not worth it imho, Behunin is a great way to finish off Telephone, but by itself there's too much effort for the level of reward you get.

8. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Nicevid,thanks.

BTW, in Behunin, the first rap: easiest/best IMNHO - from the top of the drop, follow a narrow ledge (easily) across the slope to a 2-bolt anchor. This is above those two pools, so no need to get wet. Rappel 70 feet to the bottom of the drop.

I have used the higher, big Ponderosa when snow in the canyon did not allow safe access to the other anchor. There tend to be two or three trees up there with webbing around them. Webbing around a tree does not indicate that you SHOULD rappel there, only perhaps that you COULD.

Where you guyz handlined down on webbing (ick!), it would be a help if you would not follow the social trails but rappel as soon as possible. If I have the spot right, rappelling off the giant rotten log (if it is still there) would put you in a swim, but following the social trail only about 30 feet would lead you to a tree with a sling and a rap to the edge of the pool.

[/soapbox]

Love the snaking rope shots on the final rappel.

Tom

10. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Nicevid,thanks.

BTW, in Behunin, the first rap: easiest/best IMNHO - from the top of the drop, follow a narrow ledge (easily) across the slope to a 2-bolt anchor. Rappel 70 feet to the bottom of the drop.
    Do you have a pic of this Tom?

●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Do you have a pic of this Tom?
    This picture shows a person ON that rappel. I don't really have one showing the anchor, perhaps I should.

I was unable to parse your suggestion, Jman. Can you clarify?

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    This picture shows a person ON that rappel. I don't really have one showing the anchor, perhaps I should.

I was unable to parse your suggestion, Jman. Can you clarify?

Tom
    Thanks! This is what I was looking for.

I was unaware of this location, and yes, this looks even easier than my recommendation.

I'll have to use it next time I'm there!

"SEND IT, BRO!!"

I agree Tom & know where you are talking about. I would have rapelled in earlier instead of that handline, but my group was in front of me until I caught up you them.

If they allowed me I would have pushed us through every water spot lol. Typically I say wetter the better 😊.

That anchor in your picture i noticed after we had set up our rappel. I didn't evaluate it further than that because there we were already setup. There was dozens of anchors to choose from in that spot.

Its been about 2-3 years since I've done it, but I recall there being a way that wasn't very hard to walk/scramble down in the same area as that pic and skip the first rappel altogether.

16. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    What Tommy said. My groups have always used the anchor Tom suggests but while they are rapping, I walk twenty feet further and walk/climb down. YMMV

18. Likes ratagonia, dakotabelliston liked this post