Thread: Bike Racks

Bike Racks

I need to upgrade the hitch mount on my SUV. Move to the platform type, instead of hanging them from the frame like my current old skool rack.

I need to be able to haul 4 bikes on occasion and have seen the type that can add two more bikes with ease.

What are the best racks and where can I get a deal?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

@tallsteve was selling his I believe, it might have an attachment to add 2 more trays.

My rack is still available. It is rock solid and very stable and the easiest to use rack I've tried. It just won't haul 2 fatbikes if one of them has front suspension. I hauled 2 rigid fatbikes on it all winter long but, you have to position one of the front tire rack swingarms a bit different. So, it will haul 2 fatbikes if both are rigid. Thule ended up sending me their new version which solves the design flaw. They know I sell their racks at the bike shop and wanted to keep me happy with their product. You can buy the extension which turns it into a 4 bike hauler. See my post on it in this forum.
    Are we there yet?

I didn't know your rack could take an extension. How much does that run?

I spent a lot of time researching this subject late last year. Generally it is agreed that KUAT is the best, but NOT the cheapest. They have a 2 bike choice that as an option, which can have an add on piece for two more. The add on piece is also NOT inexpensive. I went with the KUAT two bike choice. The best that I could find at the time was 20% off and free shipping, Apparently the color choice matters for durability.
    KTM 625 SXC
    KTM 250R FreeRide
    Montesa 315R Long Ride
    KTM 400 EXC Dual Sport
    Yamaha TY250C
    Yamaha TY175C
    BMW R1100S
    Yamaha IT250J
    Honda TLR200
    Yamaha CT2
    Honda XR600R
    A bunch of stuff that doesn't run....

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    I didn't know your rack could take an extension. How much does that run?
    Just looking it up inline, looks like around $350.00
    Are we there yet?

I was looking for a rack several years ago and couldn't find one I liked for less that 800 so I built me one. Fits 2 or 4 bikes, 2 of them can be fat bikes. Costs me about 200 in parts to build.

If I was going to buy a new one I would be buying a 1 up usa. They can fit 4 bikes and they can fit fat bikes next to each other. My brother bought a Thule 2t pro last year on the selling point they you could hall fat bikes, to both our disappointment you can't hall 2 fat bikes next to each other. We both have one and could only hall 2 bikes on a 4 place rack. Looks like this is a design flaw that has been corrected on there latest model. We haven't been as lucky as tallSteve to get a free upgrade replacement from Thule. My vote is for 1 up usa, I think it is the best rack out there and about the same price as most 4 place racks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I built one years ago too. We are still using it instead of the Kuat most of the time because it is easier for one bike. I maybe should have just modified it for two bikes.

I need a bike rack to fit in the bed of my pick up, and am looking for ideas.

It needs to with withstand the bumping around that we get when traveling on dirt roads. I saw one the other day that attached to tracks that are mounted below the side rails of the truck but I don't know what it was.
    KTM 625 SXC
    KTM 250R FreeRide
    Montesa 315R Long Ride
    KTM 400 EXC Dual Sport
    Yamaha TY250C
    Yamaha TY175C
    BMW R1100S
    Yamaha IT250J
    Honda TLR200
    Yamaha CT2
    Honda XR600R
    A bunch of stuff that doesn't run....