Thread: East Fork Virgin River (What flow is considered flood conditions?)

East Fork Virgin River (What flow is considered flood conditions?)

Hi there,

I'm planning to do Fat Man's Misery the week of April 24th. Tom's guide says check the East Fork flow before going. I see how to check the flow rate on the USGS site, but I am unsure what would be considered flood conditions or impassible. Any insight?

Thank you!

2. Likes darhawk liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DTag View Post
    Hi there,

I'm planning to do Fat Man's Misery the week of April 24th. Tom's guide says check the East Fork flow before going. I see how to check the flow rate on the USGS site, but I am unsure what would be considered flood conditions or impassible. Any insight?

Thank you!
    Above 100 cfs would definitely be gnar.

T

5. Likes darhawk liked this post
    Hi there,

Thank you!
    I did FMM when EFV was at 120 or so and the river was WAY too dangerous. Fortunately there is a 3rd (maybe spot of 4th) class scramble that bypasses the river section and rejoins the normal egress route. Plenty of bushwhack and poor quality rock - of course.

p.s. several rescues out there in recent years - mostly folks dropping into the wrong canyon and finding they lack rope and skills for the final 400' drop. Also several cases of getting lost on the egress route. Take care out there.

http://canyoncollective.com/threads/...-rescue.22061/

Attachment 86792

Blog Entries

East Fork Virgin River (What flow is considered flood conditions?)

Hi there,

Thank you!
    @DTag, I'm doing Fat Mans with a small group this coming Saturday and will report back and let you know how it is.

The current CFS is around 70 CFS. And the last week it has ranged from 85 to 65. And with slightly warmer temps this week, I'm guessing it will range from 75-80 this weekend. So if you attempt it, plan for strong currents. But I'll post back and let you know what I discover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

8. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    I did FMM when EFV was at 120 or so and the river was WAY too dangerous. Fortunately there is a 3rd (maybe spot of 4th) class scramble that bypasses the river section and rejoins the normal egress route. Plenty of bushwhack and poor quality rock - of course.

p.s. several rescues out there in recent years - mostly folks dropping into the wrong canyon and finding they lack rope and skills for the final 400' drop. Also several cases of getting lost on the egress route. Take care out there.

120 CFS by which gauge? or by eyeball?

T

There are also reports of people getting lost on the way out. Like me. Heading out, keeping to the far right hand trail (at all intersections) will result in a dead end. IF you go there, GO BACK to a clearly defined trail heading east. Better yet, don't keep to the furthest right hand trail.

Tom

11. Likes 2065toyota liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    120 CFS by which gauge? or by eyeball?

T
    Springdale gauge (flow rate from memory) in 2010

[Fortunately there is a 3rd (maybe spot of 4th) class scramble that bypasses the river section and rejoins the normal egress route. Plenty of bushwhack and poor quality rock - of course.

[/QUOTE]

1st time I did Misery we actually used that 4th class scramble, which is right there once you pop out of Misery into the River. Definitely doable but knarly, Loose rock, dirt, and vegetation. It freaked out a person in our group who was not much of a scrambler - beware if taking noobs up it.

14. Likes twotimer liked this post
    Hi there,

Thank you!
    And, just to be clear, a bit of learning over the years has learned me that the flow will be higher than the flow in Mt Carmel, so just checking the flow before the creek/river gets into the canyon is not very effective. There are not substantial tributaries flowing in, but the East Fork picks up water from Springs between Mt Carmel and Misery Canyon. So checking the gauge "East Fork Virgin River nr. Springdale" is the best gauge to use. 100 cfs is perhaps the magic number. Depending. Being aware of the gnarly 3rd/4th class exit is a good idea.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    @DTag, I'm doing Fat Mans with a small group this coming Saturday and will report back and let you know how it is.
    Hey, how was the trip?

Blog Entries
    Hey, how was the trip?
    It was a good trip! Bunch of water for sure - lots of wading and swimmers. The only tricky area was one of the rappels had a bunch of loose rock (from a giant rock fall it looks like) that was sketchy going around it.

Parunweap while higher than normal, wasn't too difficult. But man, that exit - that exit is tiresome. I can't imagine it in the brutal summer temps...

Thankfully it was nice n cool that evening.

Sorry no pics. Didn't bring my cellphone that trip.

●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

18. Likes whansen, hank moon, ratagonia liked this post
    We've stashed food and water on the hike in before. Nice because you can take plenty without having to pack it all through the canyon

20. Likes darhawk, Taylor, Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    We've stashed food and water on the hike in before. Nice because you can take plenty without having to pack it all through the canyon
    That's a genius idea! I'll have to remember that next time. Thanks!

"SEND IT, BRO!!"