Thread: Man dies after 400-foot fall at Dead Horse Point State Park

Man dies after 400-foot fall at Dead Horse Point State Park

MOAB — An American Fork man died after falling 400 feet at Dead Horse Point State Park Sunday, police said.

San Juan County Sheriff’s Office officials said Gary Nathan Abbott, 22, had been camping at the park with friends. At about 1:45 p.m. Sunday, Abbott fell to his death.

Authorities did not specify where in the park the man fell. His body was recovered a few hours later after it was located by a multi-agency search and rescue team.

Police said foul play was not suspected. Abbott’s body was taken to the medical examiner’s office for an autopsy.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=43834612&ni...int-state-park

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries

Man dies after 400-foot fall at Dead Horse Point State Park

That's sucks! There are a bunch of steep cliffs in that area, especially around Long canyon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

But that picture he almost took would have been worth it.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

5. Likes Sombeech, dakotabelliston liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo View Post
    But that picture he almost took would have been worth it.
    I know there is a spot where one can jump a 4-5ft gap (similar to Gemini bridges) and make it to a rock pinnacle....if you make it. But if you miss it in any way, it's a long fall on either side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

First step, make sure the GoPro is on. So on the way down, you may have time to quickly tell folks to follow you on Instagram.

If you are falling to your death, and you have a GoPro, and you are NOT filming it, that is incredibly selfish.

8. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    First step, make sure the GoPro is on. So on the way down, you may have time to quickly tell folks to follow you on Instagram.

If you are falling to your death, and you have a GoPro, and you are NOT filming it, that is incredibly selfish.
    Spoken like a true outdoor hater...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

10. Likes jman liked this post
    This guy was the brother-in-law of my good friend. My friend had to go down to Moab to drive his brother-in-laws vehicle back home. Sad deal.
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    This guy was the brother-in-law of my good friend. My friend had to go down to Moab to drive his brother-in-laws vehicle back home. Sad deal.
    Dang, that is sad. All joking aside, it clears up once it happens to somebody close by.

Are there any more details, was he trying to get a good shot, is he a photographer by chance? Was he alone?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Dang, that is sad. All joking aside, it clears up once it happens to somebody close by.

Are there any more details, was he trying to get a good shot, is he a photographer by chance? Was he alone?
    I haven't wanted to ask yet and he hasn't posted anything more on his facebook page.
    Are we there yet?